1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sprouts?

Discussion in 'Christmas and Year Review 2009' started by Onket, Dec 7, 2009.

?

Sprouts?

1. Yes please.

74.2%
  2. No thanks.

25.8%
  1. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

if they are bar boiled, and then fried in brandy with either thick cut bacon, or stock (this year I'm going to use duck stock)... they are great.

Overcooked, they smell like nappies :(
  2. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Me too!

They are great fun* if you re-heat them in the microwave.
    They jump of the plate and explode in mid air!

* Disclaimer for if you get in trouble for doing this at your parents house over christmas and get told off when green sludge is baked on forever more on to the side of the microwave
  3. mentalchik

mentalchik far too big for her boots

Love 'em !
  4. Iguana

Iguana Well-Known Member

I love, love, love sprouts. But I do understand why people hate them if they have only ever eaten them overcooked. Overcooked they do taste a bit farty, but gently steamed they are so yummy and sweet and fresh tasting. Two years a go I got in a bit of trouble at my parents house when I nabbed one of my brothers sprouts. All my family are huge sprout lovers.

Sprouts are also fantastic when quartered and cooked in a stir-fry.
  5. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

It's amazing how quickly the word 'sprout' loses all meaning.

I bought sprouts yesterday.

Sprout.
  6. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

sprouts are fucking evil.

i'm sick of hearing "but you've got to try these one's, it's all about the way i cook them". no it isn't. they're shit whether overdone, underdone, "just right", raw... they're rubbish.
  7. zenie

zenie >^^<

Lovely nom! :):cool::)
  8. Actually, it is down to how you prepare/cook/flavour something. Maybe you just have had them served by rubbish cooks? :p
  9. Onket

Onket Gertcha

See post #1 young whippersnapper.
  10. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Black puddings very black today, Mother!

Yup - retaining a hint of crispnes and with lashing of herb butter they are lush :cool:
  11. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Gah, I'm with Boycey. I've had sprouts all kinds of way - cooked briefly, overcooked, stir fried with chestnuts and bacon, shaved, the tops only, almost raw and many other combinations - but I've still never grown to like them. They've just got an unpleasantly bitter backnote whatever you do to them. Give me broccoli or any decent brassica instead.

Apparently some people are more able to taste bitterness than others
    <shrugs>
  12. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

chef's ego. i won't be fooled again. not by you, not by anyone :mad:
  13. newme

newme Giant in Pastyland now

urgh sprouts, they arent even food.
  14. jusali

jusali Back from the brink!

Love 'em! I cut in half and fry with sliced almonds.
  15. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Used to hate them when I was a child. I had a caterpillar in one once and it gave me an excuse to refuse to eat them again.

However, I have now aquired the taste and love them!
  16. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

It's because you have sensitive tastebuds that pick up on something most of us can't taste.

You're special.
  17. newme

newme Giant in Pastyland now

I shall use this exact excuse now if anyone tries to get me to eat any.
  18. *Miss Daisy*

*Miss Daisy* Suck a Big Hairy....

:cool: i loves sprouts!!! The tastier the better!
  19. belboid

belboid Hang Liberals

mmm, i shall pass this recipe onto me brother who is dong the xmas dinner this year, sounds bloody lush!
  20. Iguana

Iguana Well-Known Member

Supertasters often really like the foods that contain elements only they can taste. It tends to depend on whether they were breastfed or not and if their mother ate a varied diet while breastfeeding. Cucumbers tend to always be a problem, afaik, and there is little that can be done about problem textures. But once a person with an awful lot of fungiform papillae has been introduced to the tastes gently through breastmilk there is little problem with those foods in adulthood.
  21. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Sprouts, love em, steamed till they are just the right side of crunchy, cauliflowers now? christ what a stink they make while cooking
  22. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

it is!

all the brandy (or brandy and stock) should be absorbed into the sprouts, takes about 5 mins or so
  23. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

So how come we don't get annual threads on here about loving/hating cucumber like we do with sprouts?

Eh?
  24. TrippyLondoner

TrippyLondoner Well-Known Member

I'm truly amazed(in a good way!) at the amount of people voting yes for sprouts.:cool:
  25. longdog

longdog 83 fuckin' pence for a croissant? FUCK OFF!

I put mine on to boil last week so they should be 'just like mother used to make' come christmas day :)

I'll do a handful not for eating with chrimbo dinner but for boxing day bubble and squeak with cold salt-beef, red cabbage and horseradish :cool:
  26. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

You're dead to me.
  27. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

Yup, but with veggie bacon.
  28. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

Weirdo.
  29. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

It's the yearly 'brussels sprouts' thread! :)

And about feckin time, I must say.
  30. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

yeah that's right. :rolleyes: