1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spider swarm invade town attacking people

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by xes, Jun 3, 2012.

1. METH LAB

METH LAB Im a goat! Banned

fair enough

tell me about tegenaria aggresti... why it get called aggresti if it wernt agresive? this is the hobo spider im on about a tegenaria like we get in late summer and autum(sp)..great big fuckin house spiders but some are tegenaria gigantee(coz of there damn size i asume) and others are tegenaria agrestie.. from being aggresive i assume?

there's a whole bunch of tegenaria (call them tegs for short) i really have big problems with the larger variety lol

educate me m8. :)

peace

2. Elvis Parsley

Elvis Parsley http://www.etsy.com/shop/Woodnting

firstly it's tegenaria agrestis, not aggresti and that part of the latin name has no connection with aggression, but rather agriculture. it's a common misconception

3. xes

xes F.O.A.D

Soo.....Elvis, is this news story a real event, do you think? I mean, is it possible that a large number of spiders were disturbed somehow, and all went in 1 direction (into a town) and could that have led to alot of bites? (from people not seeing them, from them being in places where they're not usually ect ect)

4. Elvis Parsley

dunno, but i'm very sceptical. as far as i can see the Times of India is the only source and i generally ignore single source stories of any kind. it's also highly unlikely, spiders haven't been known to "swarm" like this and i've never heard of a spider clinging on after it's bitten, certainly not to a much larger animal. they would bite in defence and they try to escape in my experience. they certainly wouldn't invade a town and start attacking the inhabitants, that's the stuff of bad sci-fi i'm afraid

5. bi0boy

bi0boy .

6. Elvis Parsley

Here you go...

can't link as it's a subscriber based service, but you can search the above text

7. METH LAB

firstly im dyslexic so cut me a fuckin break on the spelling.. secondly they might not be as venomous as thought but spiders can deffinataly 'bite and hold on to you' ... accouts of that all over the place go to wild about britain (WAB) its a nature site about britain and plenty of accounts of non-lethyl spider bites and some not letting go after they bitten.

so if these things arnt venimous(sp) to any massive degree that still doesant change the fact that it seems like spiders have swarmed and become very aggresive for no real reason. they could have no venom at all but still to go out in a swarm-like mannor and jump on anything around it whilsts its mates are doing the same...thats really strange is it not? There's nothing to say this didnt hapen its very likely that it has..there probably was some bollox regarding the venom and the way they choose to treat the spider bites well that might be why they became ill but for the most part these spiders seem aggresive and at least semi-social with eachother, if not a full blown swarm.

peace

8. Elvis Parsley

i had no idea you were dyslexic and therefore wasn't aware you needed to be cut a fucking break. latin names are many and varied though, so it's important to get them right, i was correcting you for this reason alone.

can you provide some links for your biting and clinging on claim, it's not something i've come across before and i'm intrigued. a spider may bite you or it might cling to you, but i've never heard of a spider that "bites and holds on". i can't find any accounts of such a thing on WAB, or the net in general, i'm not expert though so i'm happy to be proved wrong.

as far as this story goes and for now that's all it is, i'll wait for some actual evidence before i make up my mind.

9. METH LAB

i cant link to it it was something i read on WAB regardng tegs.. the bigger ones.. sme people had reporte them biting and not letting go. seems rare but it isnt impossible.

You seen the jaws on those things the giant house spiders we get in the UK isnt known for biting..but they are certinaly capable IMO.

peace

10. Elvis Parsley

what?

you said there were "accouts of that all over the place" on WAB and yet when i looked there weren't any, not one. nor could i find any references anywhere else on the net. so i can only assume you've imagined it, or made it up.

of course it's not impossible for a small spider's bite to penetrate human skin, no one said it was, but without any evidence whatsoever, it doesn't "seem rare" it seems like nonsense.