1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedy Noodle Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by lordnoise, Dec 12, 2010.

1. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

Has anyone found anything on the menu thats remotely worth eating ?

2. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Never been tempted in, but it's been there quite a few years so they must be doing something right.

3. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Only been once. I wasn't sick but my stomach did not thank me.

4. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

5. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Never been in

6. uk benzo

uk benzo أنا ليس أمريكي

I used to go there a lot when I was out of work.

It's cheap- and the quality of the food reflects this. On the plus side, you will always leave the place full (of crap).

7. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

it's a lousy place with all the welcoming ambiance of A&E on a busy night, but it's busy and they are cheap. The Singapore noodles are edible, not doused in grease and give change from 4 quid iirc. judging by the smells which emerge from their fans on brighton terrace I don't even want to know what goes on behind the kitchen doors. And many props to the staff for dealing with some of the roughest (drunkest / smelliest / most confused / most hostile) clientele in sw9 with pure indifference for most of the time.

8. story

story Changing the facts

Sometimes drunk waifs and strays who are staying at mine will bring it into the house. I've never eaten anything from there, not least because anything that is thrown away or left over stinks like death.

9. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter marquistador

they must be making money because they've been open for years and are clearly popular. But I've never been in.

One of my mates was trying to persuade me to go there because they sell beer...you can have a pint with your noodles.

Still, at least it's a non-chain/multinational on the high street trying to do something a bit different. If it ever closes I imagine it'll become a pizza hut, or Subway will move in to bigger premises.

10. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Went in there once.
    Was not great but cost us about £8 for two fair size plates of food.

11. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Used to go there all the time. I'd have special chow mein and she'd have curry vegetables. No worse than any other cheap noodles place, and damn they are speedy.

12. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Me and the missus used to get takeaways from there, but have now switched for good to Clifton's Hot Wok up on Acre Lane, which is tons better and not that much more expensive.

13. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

yep, go in there pretty frequently. Less than £4 for a steaming hot plate of food delivered within 5 mins. Can't be beat - so long as you like onions, the standard bulking agent they use :).
    It's not great food, but you wouldn't expect it to be for the price...I've paid a lot more for worse noodles...

14. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Yeah, it's not terrible, and they are very quick. Then again for a little more dosh and a bit more walking you can get far superior fare.

15. strung out

strung out (",)

was ok when i went there.

16. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Yeah, go down here every now and again for lunch. Food is perfectly acceptable, good sized portions which arrive quickly and are fairly priced.

As a bonus- They also serve beer.

17. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Didn't it used to be a similar style curry place called Kings? I went in there drunk a couple of times for a quick plate of just about edible food. Noodles don't have the same appeal.

18. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

You can have rice instead, if you like :D

19. Onket

Onket Gertcha

And it's better than 'just about edible'.

20. strung out

strung out (",)

some people's definitions of 'just about edible' seem to vary wildly. usually dependent on how big a snob that person is.

21. Onket

Onket Gertcha

If someone really thought the food was only 'just about edible', why would they go there more than once?

22. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

I thought the food was okayish; in keeping with the price. But my stomach was mildly unhappy for several hours afterwards.

23. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

I like it and go in when I'm down in Brixton, have taken various urbs with me and none of them have ever said it was rubbish.

24. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

I must admit I wasnt impressed. Noodles and the sort of Chinese stuff they do is simple and straightforward. I couldnt believe how awful my plate of Chow Mein was - £4.00 is still a lot of money to me especially when I could have cooked up the same at home for a quarter of the price and 4 times as good. Fujiyamas (Japanese) a few quid more but light years better in terms of quality and (perhaps more importantly) I cant cook anything like the same quality at home. Might have a go at the Singapore noodles though ...

25. IMR

IMR well-meaning tosser

How late is it open?

26. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Close to midnight I think.

27. poptyping

poptyping Skeletor affirmations, that is all.

I'm not overly keen.

Gyoza on coldharbour lane is better, noodles there are about £6 although the portions used to be bigger and cheaper in the good old days....

28. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Is that the one that does those lunch box thingies? They are quite good but the portions are much smaller and the beer more expensive.

29. paolo

paolo Member You're a Womble

I go in a fair bit.

Usually if I'm starving after work. For about 50p or £1 more than MacDonalds you get a plate and a lot more space. And horrible lighting and generally miserable staff. (No amount of tipping on my part brings any cheers to them. :( )

Wouldn't say it's bad food. It's four quid food. Nothing much to hate at that price.

30. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Can't comment on the food as I can't remember but the place just reminds me of a packed hospital waiting room and that puts me off walking in there now.
    I think they seem to have made it much more bright in a stark, strip light way which has made it worse.