1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spain, Italy or France

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by nagapie, May 24, 2012.

1. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

Are the nice beaches easy to get to without a car?
  2. mrsfran

mrsfran Slightly less bulbous

Yes, you can hire a bike, it's a very small island.
  3. nagapie

I'm not a very good bike rider, never had one as a child:oops: But I can walk. Friend I'm going with fancies Gozo.
  4. mrsfran

As a bonus, if you get a bus, they use the old British buses we don't have here anymore. They're quite fun and very reliable. http://www.maltabybus.com/

Do you like rabbit? Rabbit is the national dish of Malta.
  5. nagapie

:D I'm a pescatarian. What other food can you suggest?
  6. mrsfran

Well, it's an island so the fish is good! And weirdly, they eat a lot of marrow.

I could recommend you a fabulous restaurant if you go to Valetta but I don't really know anywhere on Gozo I'm afraid.
  7. nagapie

No problem, I'm sure there'll be good food. Thanks for the tips.
  8. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Tarifa is especially windy, and popular with the surfers etc, but the Levante wind hits Cadiz sometimes. Obviously most of the time it's alreet, plus you'll appreciate a breeze if it's rather hot, which it will be in a months time.

I know I am biased, but this area is def the place to go for proper beaches combined with fairly certain amazing weather. I looked into the Jerez transport links and they're poorer than I thought, so flying to Seville (from London etc) would probably be easiest, there are good transport links to Cadiz (trains/buses every hour or two) which would be a reet nice place to stay with plenty of beaches for kilometres up n down the coast either direction.
  9. chilango

chilango Omnia Sunt Communia

Went Malta for a conference and was not overly impressed. Scruffy, full of Brits and the food was average at best.

Of course, I'm sure there's some lovely off the beaten tracks bits (Gozo does sound nice). But if you've only got a couple of days you probably want somewhere ON the beaten track that's nice.

However, posters here might be able to point you to the nice bits that you can get to quick and easy...
  10. Fuchs66

Fuchs66 Ring a ding

OK as far as the beaches are concerned you don't get any vast expanses of sand where you will be waited on hand and foot but there are some lovely little secluded places. However if the big beach experience is what you want and I'm going to suggest something a bit less conventional what about this? Sand, sun (at the moment), lots of beach bars and restaurants, great atmosphere and cheap to get to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Fuchs66

Fuchs66 Ring a ding

Yep the seafood is fantastic, (I like the rabbit too though) :)
  12. nagapie

Nah, Fuchs66, that looks shit. I am afraid I have an unreasonably high standard for beaches as I grew up on the most beautiful part of the South African coast.

Am looking into Gozo but have some of the earlier suggestions tucked away if my Maltese friend, who I'm going to text tonight, says no. She knows what I want.
  13. nagapie

Gozo looking possible except the flight going out is at 6am and home arrives in after 12. Out I can manage but the home one is not good. Might research some of the other destinations for easier flights.
  14. Mephitic

Mephitic It's not easy having a good time

I like Pescara, accommodation is not so expensive & the beaches are good, with lots of beach bars / restaurants when you get hungry / thirsty. Dunno what the city is like, I keep driving past it to get to the beach but never stopped.
  15. Fuchs66

Fuchs66 Ring a ding

Going there tomorrow, all a matter of taste, I love it. :D
  16. nagapie

Where is it? I'm rapidly lowering my expectations due to my limited time schedule.
  17. contadino

contadino Well-Known Member

For the last week, it's been warmer in London than it has been in Puglia. Besides, if you want to just sit on a beach and relax, there are better places to go than here.

On the other hand, if you want to eat well, to make friends with locals, to take a tour around some cantinas, to dance the pizzica, to see some history, and not to want to go back home, then Puglia is the place to come. Head for Gallipoli or here...

[​IMG]
    ...the Tremiti Islands
  18. Fuchs66

Fuchs66 Ring a ding

Scheveningen which is the coastal side of The Hague, which is where I live. Really nice beach and some good food and drink to be had. Not really popular with British tourists (probably not exotic sounding enough) but gets a lot of Dutch and Germans from the western states (Nordrhein Westfalen and Lower Saxony).
  19. nagapie

Actually that's an excellent idea! I've got really good friends who live around there who I haven't seen in ages. Could do that if other plans fail.
  20. dessiato

dessiato Galatians 6:10

I lived in Foz for a while, it is great. It is a short walk to both the beach and the river. I've just driven back from there with my sister, we had a great time. It was already hot enough to sit on the beach in the beginning of April. My sister got a bit of a sunburn though, so be careful.

Other than that, for a short break try Dieppe if you don't mind taking a ferry instead of a plane. The food is good, and the beach is OK too. (We went there too.) The ferry takes about four hours and comes in quite close to the town. But they are reluctant to change US dollars without sufficient notice. So either take sterling or Euros.

You can fly in to Vigo now. The beach there is great, as is the food. There is a nice little hotel, Playa Verde, on Playa Samil. We have had some good nights there. My sister and I had a great night eating and drinking at the hotel bar, but struggled to get the owner to give us two rooms, he thought we should only have one 'matrimonial'
  21. chilango

Vigo is nice.

On one of the little peninsulars just north of there is the beach town of Grove. Lovely beaches, chilled out town. Well recommended.
    dessiato likes this.
  22. chilango

Also around Caminha on the Galician/Portuguese border is lovely, some nice little places and beaches there, easily reachable from Porto or Vigo. Though I think you'd want more than two days to make it worth your while...
    dessiato likes this.
  23. nagapie

Well time is essentially my problem. I have tried to find flights for lots of the recommendations here and either I can't get there when I need to or I can't get back. Am not at all flexible other than I can leave either Thursday night or Friday morning but have to come back Sunday. Going to look at a few of the new recommendations but almost ready to get up and go visit friends in the Hague.
  24. chilango

It's been tricky for me just doing city to city trips on those days...:(

You want to minimise travel time and maximise chilling time. I'd imagine the Hague would do the job...
  25. dessiato

dessiato Galatians 6:10

Sanxenxo is one of my favourite quiet areas. Lovely beach, very quiet and relaxing. And within very easy reach of Vigo. Alternatively you have Baiona, A Guarda both very close and quiet places. Good food, full of Spanish, but a lot of Galizans too! ;)
  26. Fuchs66

Fuchs66 Ring a ding

Well IF you do come over give me a shout :)

Also if you come over on the 9th of June it's Flag day at Scheveningen harbour, the traditional arrival of the fishing fleet with the first "new herring catch" lots of fun and loads of raw herring (which isn't as bad as it sounds).
  27. Geflow

Geflow Member

28. nagapie

Oh that doesn't sound bad at all. Think we've found decent places and flights for Mallorca. But have emailed friends in the Hague to arrange some other time there, with the whole family.
  29. nagapie

So, found decent flights and accommodation in Puerto Soller, Mallorca. Beach looks servicable but not all that. Anyone know that area, can you get a bus/taxi a bit further out to a better beach?
  30. Fuchs66

Fuchs66 Ring a ding

Well like I said let me know if I'm around I'm always up for a beer and/or something to eat. :D