1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonia Poulton and The People's Voice

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Awesome Wells, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Awesome Wells

Awesome Wells charged vacuum emboitment Banned

I'm no expert on her, having only become aware of her journalism over the last few years as a seemingly strident and genuine voice against the government. She is a freelance journalist I gather, which is her excuse for taking Dacre's coin from time to time. Now she appears on David Icke's public TV station, the People's Voice.

I suppose supprotes of the station would argue that it's not solely David Icke's voice. I don't know. I had heard he was trying to get somthing up and running and, if it wasn't for his presence, I would share it's laudable aims: to be a free thinking unbiased outlet. Whether that turns out to be anything more than an ideal I cannot say.

I chose not to post this in the TV forum because i think the broader quesiton is more about politics given that's what she writes about. She is a supporter of things like the WOW petition and has been vocal about her disgust of the goverment's treatment of the disabled. That's how I came to be aware of her.
    Does this mean that Sonia is another lizard hunting matrix breaking freedom fighter? Does it mean she's a dodgy racist? Or is it naive to think she should turn down an opportunity to get her views across, which, afaict, aren't as batshit as Icke's worldview.

2. frogwoman

frogwoman I welcome your experience

if she's appearing on a tv channel of a known anti-semite then it's not just "helping her" (i'd imagine his channel currently has a relatively small audience or smaller than who read the daily mail) it's lending mainstream credibility to his views because she doesn't say that shit (in public).

3. tufty79

tufty79 Well-Known Member

Friend/supporter of icke; I started out thinking she was ok until she started being overly defensive of him and sharing the odd conspiralunacy thing or two on fb (before the people's voice stuff started).

4. frogwoman

would you say the same if tommy robinson (before his conversion) started a tv channel - "oh well if it wasn't for the fact that he started it and owned it i'd share its aims, whether or not that turns out to be anything more than an ideal I cannot say"

kavenism likes this.
  5. frogwoman

if an anti-semite (or any other racist) approached me to be on their television station that they owned and which was going to pump out their views of course i would turn it down and i can't afford to turn down work really.

As a daily mail journalist i imagine she ain't short of a few quid. :mad: and going from the daily mail to david icke's tv station, really - i doubt it's just for the money

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  6. Awesome Wells

That is unfortunate.

Can we not separate the good stuff she, or others (such as Jack Monroe, as her thread is full of claims that criticise her, though differently). do from these awful beliefs?

7. Awesome Wells

That was my point...if it wasn't for his presence.

Unfortunately the people's voice and icke are interrelated.

8. frogwoman

no.

lending mainstream credibility to an anti-semite by appearing on their tv channel as a presenter is somewhat different to what jack's doing as well (as much as jack is starting to annoy me)

its a different league imo

Frances Lengel, BigTom, xenon and 2 others like this.
  9. tufty79

tufty79 Well-Known Member

Personally? Not really.

frogwoman likes this.
  10. frogwoman

I wonder is there a way to separate jimmy saville's charity work and entertainment of the public for 50 years from activities in his personal life?

all those marathons he ran have got to count for something :(

11. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

how can you compare a well meaning labourite with a shonky eyed anti semite who has reality issues?

12. Awesome Wells

I'm not comparing anyone. Least of all Jack Monroe to Icke.

But Monroe and Poulton, it seems, have (if the thread about Monroe is to be believed), questionable backgrounds and yet talk and campaign on important anti-asuterity issues.

Icke, however, is a lost cause.

13. Awesome Wells

I wasn't referring to Icke, I was referring to Poulton. I have no idea how much of Icke's bullshit she believes or if she herself is racist.

14. frogwoman

see post #5

15. Awesome Wells

I guess she doesn't think Icke is racist. Perhaps she doesn't think Dacre's racist either.

16. frogwoman

that's all right then.

xslavearcx likes this.
  17. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I see noted anti-semite jo conrad has a spot on this 'station'.

18. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

this'll be the same station that king for a day brand has given wedge to as well

xslavearcx and frogwoman like this.
  19. frogwoman

if there's one thing you can say for hitler, at least he got up and did something about his views rather than sitting on the sidelines moaning about it on the internet. :cool:

20. Awesome Wells

I just feel a bit disappointed that she's swayed by Icke's bullshit. I'm not making excuses for her or anyone, least of all Icke who believes all sorts of crazy shit including that the moon isn't real and that vaccinations are all bad and will turn you into zombie slaves of the secret lizard people.

frogwoman likes this.
  21. Awesome Wells

Doesn't surprise me; he's another 'we are all one consciouness' advocate. Probably easy to believe when you're a rich movie star/tv bloke.

frogwoman likes this.
  22. frogwoman

Awesome Wells sorry if that came across aggressive. it's just that from what i can tell from my own experiences and speaking to mates etc this stuff is having a sort of resurgence. i experienced it from an employer earlier this year and i've heard a few other comments over the last year or so that make me think it's not an isolated occurrence.

23. Awesome Wells

No harm done :)

I agree; it is rather worrying to see Icke able to sell out arenas and speak for hours on bullshit that borders on the dangerous (such as his views on vaccination).

I think a lot of people see only people like Icke and their message at a superficial level. I doubt very many of them have read his books and 'connected the dots' as he would put it. Instead they hear a simple and appealing message of 'people need to overcome their differences, be kind and loving, and evolve'. Who can argue that's not a nice sentiment? But beneath that is all the weird stuff about zionism and the jewish families and the rest of it, as well as all the nasty racist people that have taken him into their fold. All the nutty long term conspiracy thinkers that see Icke as their prophet.

24. frogwoman

I'm not so sure, I think that, while this may be true of some, plenty of people who do read his books do understand the message within it including the anti-semitic subtext. People aren't idiots. (for the same reason most people who've heard of him think he's a nutter)

I think, based on what i've heard/experienced, there has been an increase in anti-semitism over the last few years (and surveys on the topic such as those conducted by jewish policy research etc also bear this out) ETA: I don't think that this applies to most people and I don't feel in any danger or anything. Now, I don't think this is entirely down to david icke and his ilk and I think it is frequently happening for the same reasons there is an increase in prejudice against disabled people etc and other minority groups, but I don't think the visibility of such figures helps or the fact that they are increasingly getting mainstream credibility by being able to attract the likes of poulton etc to work for them or by appearing on bbc shows (see the thread on alex jones for this).

xslavearcx likes this.
  25. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

had her on twitter for a bit but started to get annoyed and :hmm: about her tweets so unfollowed

frogwoman likes this.
  26. Awesome Wells

Fascist thinking - division - is on the rise in general. But I can't see any other aspect of Icke's ideology attracting people to work on his TV station. Poulton probably thinks it's a genuine attempt at an alternative and that the odd bit of conspiracy theory is ok. I don't know how much Icke appears himself or how much of his thinking he broadcasts nor how much of it she personally believes, so I can only speculate.

27. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Have a look at the stations schedule - it's not a real tv station, it's marketing/advertising - 'fast paced' of course - with about three shows endlessly repeated. It's even worse than C5.

xslavearcx and frogwoman like this.
  28. frogwoman

god that "schedule" looks awful :facepalm:

29. frogwoman

She's a journalist and has worked for a national newspaper, it's her responsibility to know these things.

she's a daily mail journalist, she has a lot more social capital than most people, she isn't trying to start her career (not that this is an excuse) she doesn't need to work on this stuff, she has a lot more choice in where to get a job than most people do. why the assumption that she is stupid and doesn't know what it's about?

its like with russell brand, people were like, "oh well how can he be expected to know what it's about, at least he's doing something," etc. but isnt this a bit patronising?

xslavearcx and tufty79 like this.
  30. Awesome Wells

It's just the Controversial TV/Edge Media station reborn. No surprises there. I imaging their ad reveneu comes from selling crystals and homeopathy.

frogwoman likes this.