1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So...who else is looking for a new job?

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by baldrick, Jan 11, 2008.

1. zenie

zenie >^^<

I'm not sure I want to manage a practice, but the money's good! :hmm::D

Worth an interview innit? :cool:
  2. strung out

strung out (",)

the money in this job is shite for me. i do need a job though...
  3. zenie

zenie >^^<

crap :(

What do you wanna do?
  4. strung out

strung out (",)

well... ideally i want to work in the organic or ethical retail thingy. i did have a job just like that but we closed and i got made redundant. unfortunately, i was on a decent wage there too and signed up to a new flat before i got made redundant so really want to do something that pays me just as well so i'm not going to be permanently skint. this bank job sounds ok but not sure i want to be doing customer services talking to organinc farmers about their bank accounts all day
  5. strung out

strung out (",)

i have an interview for triodos in just over an hour :eek:

shitting meself a lil bit...
  6. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

good luck :)

are triodos a breed of aliens ? :eek:
  7. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Woo! Seeing an agency tonight about a potential job interview next week... hopefully I'll be earning a couple of grand more in a month or two if all goes well
  8. Iam

Iam New Member

I have an interview in the morning.

*crosses everything*

One way or another, though, I've pretty much made up my mind that it's time to be out of this shithole...

:)
  9. strung out

strung out (",)

well interview went ok... find out on friday i think!
  10. purves grundy

purves grundy ambient clown remix

pfff, this job hunting malarkey is so demoralising. I'm hardly getting any rejections, let alone interviews. I must be so unqualified my applications are going straight into the bin without a second thought. I'm trying to break into a new field - from teaching to human rights / development work - so I'm on the backfoot from the start but ffs I do have a plethora of of transferable skills, I've just completed an MA in human rights at the UK's top place to study human rights, and can write a decent cover letter imho. If it goes on like this I'm gonna have to throw in the towel and go back to teaching, but this was supposed to be my turning point - I'm coming up to that age where if I'm gonna change career I need to do it now.

Bobbins.
  11. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

Have you thought about ovlunteering and/or interning as a way in? Unpaid I know. But beats being unemployed and doing nothing.
  12. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

Also, have you used the services of your university career service? Sometimes, they can be quite helpful and they might also have jobs advertised there. Have you considered going overseas for sometime? Obviously, I don't know if your personal circumstances permit this.
  13. purves grundy

purves grundy ambient clown remix

Thanks for the thoughts. I've certainly thought about interning but at 37 see myself - rightly or wrongly - as a little old for working for nothing. Certainly up for interning for a small allowance... perhaps I should try a few speculative applications in that vein.

Overseas is where I'm aiming. I've worked in Burma, Indonesia, and Japan in the recent past, and have no ties in the UK at all (for which reason I'm stuck at my parents' house right now, imagine how depressing that is at 37!) It's weird because my work over the last five years or so has been leading naturally in the direction of human rights and after consolidating my experience with an MA, whilst I didn't expect any miraculous change, I did think there'd be some little demand for me at least.
  14. jonead

jonead New Member

pffft add me to the list ...

having made $2m of sales this and hit my targets i've been culled by an incoming new ceo. :( but sometimes them's the breaks :)

right what's next to do ...
  15. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

I'm sure there is, it's just a question of them finding you. Best of luck, I know how hard it can be! Speculative applications are a good idea IMHO. I've had interviews and jobs offers after sending a speculative email with my CV. You never know!
  16. zenie

zenie >^^<

'kin ell! :eek::(

No news on the agency so maybe I didn't get selected for an interview by the client, although the agency reckon they're still sitting on CV's.

Have an interview monday for a saturday job at a funky/retro clothes shop, I really don't know what to wear, and I'm also worried that everyone'll be really young!!!! :oops::hmm:
  17. chainsaw cat

chainsaw cat Tea. Biccies. Happy now?

.. I was on t'thread much further up, just coming on here with a smug look ( ;) is the nearest....) to say I start my new job in about 3 weeks and I'm very pleased.

Huge pay rise, green firm, travel... chuffed.

If I can do it, mid multiple crises, ANYONE can do it. I didn't even press me suit for the interview!

CC
  18. zenie

zenie >^^<

Yay go you!!!! :):):)

I'm just scared of change! :oops::(
  19. Yetman

Yetman Cheesecar Fucksquad #1

If you never change anything then nothing will ever change, go for it chick :cool:

I'm going to apply for an editorial job at a magazine this eve, totally different but much more up my street. Probably a pay cut though.....
  20. chainsaw cat

chainsaw cat Tea. Biccies. Happy now?

Are you a numismaphobe?

Ta for the cheers.

I shall start a 'new job' thread in early November, then a 'fired from new job...' I hope not.....
  21. sojourner

sojourner Lord of the Ponce

I'm scared of jumping ship too fast and landing in even deeper water. I'm the only wage earner in our house, and we're fucked if I'm out of work or can't afford all the bills.

Have applied for two jobs this morning, one paying more and one less, but as things are still not clear in my current job, I'm not sure what to do

Have requested a meet with my boss to discuss all the alternatives
  22. jonead

jonead New Member

g/l the interview young z :) how did it go?

'kin ell was both my reaction, and coincidentally the name of the five-a-side team i used to play for.

well i have a general plan if being in some gainful employment by xmas. meantime i'm doing a bit of volunteer work locally and exploring that filthly turgid system called jsa.

3 interviews next week, 2 job pimps working hard for me it seems, weather is sunny and lunchtime drinking is delightful.
  23. zenie

zenie >^^<

Yes I know :oops:

Just the grass aint always greener is it?

G'luck mate, that sounds cool!

A what? :D

ahaha I hope not too!

Jonead - interview is this monday coming, good luck with your job hunt, get onto JSA quick!! :eek:
  24. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

You'll get it Yetman. Yer handsome, rock 'n roll and a brilliant writer. The kind of person any magazine wants. You'll get it if you land the interview. Be upbeat and cocky in the letter, i've written HUNDREDS of letters in the past, and the interviews for writing jobs are for the letters that stood out.

Make it really funny (but erudite without being wanky, a hard trick but you can pull it off) :cool:
  25. jonead

jonead New Member

i'm loving the jsa tbh. first time in 30-odd years ive tried it. i was particulary impressed when they didn't bat an eyelid getting an Indian Statment of Salary rather than a P45 ...

i think they are less impressed with me

"what will you work for?"
    "salary needs to be minimum 60,000"
    "why are you here?"
    "i've being paying all these taxes for years; just curious really"
    /frown
  26. tufty79

tufty79 http://youtu.be/-VVp-tKqFNY

*bumps thread*
    ha! i didn't get the anarchoprinter job (again!)
    BUT
    i have a tempjob intermaview this afternoon! first one in far, far too long :cool:
    and 'tis a threemonther, so even if it turns out to be rubbish (which it might not, but you never know), then it's not for half a year :)

lucks in this direction ver welcome. ta :)
  27. AnnaKarpik

AnnaKarpik Queen of all she surveys

Good luck tufty! :)
  28. dlx1

dlx1 I had an Interview :)

Had interview 31st Dec they still interview other 2nd week in Jan.
    Still waiting.

Job for Datacenter :cool:
  29. tufty79

tufty79 http://youtu.be/-VVp-tKqFNY

cannot has jobwhatwasactuallyace :(

still, more showing up on jobsearches that i'm looking at :)
  30. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

After thinking I had a job in December, to start about now, the offer was withdrawn (and then offered again in different and rubbish form) last week. So it's back to interviews.

Had one today, but wasn't all that keen. Another one tomorrow which I'm hopeful about.