1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snooker World Championship 2010

Discussion in 'general sports' started by ebay sex moomin, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Thought I'd start a thread, seeing as there isn't one yet.

Some great play yesterday. Felt a bit sorry for Tom Ford- he seemed a bit rattled- had some bad luck, plus nerves I guess. I was pleased when he finally won a frame. Doesn't deserve to be that far behind- one to watch for the future, I reckon.

I could tell Mark Allen was going for the 147 almost immediately after he potted the first red and black. You could see him thinking, 'Get the first century break of the tournament against me?! well, eat my 147, f*cker!' Shame he didn't make it- just bad luck to hit the black full-on while coming round the table.

Like Tom Ford, John Higgins seems somewhat rattled too- wonder why that is?

Looking forward to seeing Neil Robertson play again- the stick-insect love-child of Thom Yorke and Boris Johnson. There's something about his style of play that I really like:cool:

I'm gonna really enjoy the next 16 days of this tournament :) :cool:
  2. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I was out all yesterday, but I'm planning to take up residence on my sofa for the afternoon in the next hour. :cool:
  3. blairsh

blairsh #Leng

Anyone seen much of this Zhang chap? Just notice him 5-4 down to Steven Hendry after being 4-0 down.

Concluding later but he looked pretty good
  4. yeah, I like the cut of his jib.

I wasn't too surprised he lost in the end- Hendry seems to have something of a spark about him this year
    (might try to spoiler match results and so on from now, cos people might be catching up on the matches on Iplayer at different times)

I see John Virgo has started drawing white zig-zags on the table again. Bloody Hawkeye! Still, at least it’s not doing that horrible ‘swooping down to get a player’s point-of-view’ thing it was doing in the Pukka Pies championship. Migraine inducing!

Really enjoyed the first couple of sessions of Marco Fu vs Martin Gould. Lots of twists and turns :cool:
    weird to see Fu starting out so strong, and Gould fluffing his shots, and then it totally switched about halfway through. I’d still like Fu to win, but as John Virgo said, he’s not playing his A-game at the moment
  5. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

^^ Same here :D

Ronnie up now against Liang, with 'Captain' Ali Carter (where did he get that from?!) & Cope on the other table. Shame I'm at work, really fancy rolling a spliff and making a pot of tea now.

I do love the worlds. Weeks and weeks of long matches ahead. Good times!
  6. Oh, excellent! Looking forward to this already– I'm generally catching up with most of the matches on the Iplayer during the small hours at the moment.
    Good times indeed! :D
  7. Just watching Davis v King live, first frame- my!- that's an unusual spread of reds!

ahaa, re-rack.
  8. bloody hell, the reds are all over the place again already!
  9. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

They started to go back up the baulk end after the re-reack too. Very strange.

Selby and Carter look the best of who I've seen so far, although Cope was woeful and I haven't caught Higgins or O'Sullivan yet.

Obviously he's very young and can't have expected to beat Hendry, but Zhang's long pots were very impressive. Maybe not yet with JH and RO'S still at the top of their games, but how long before we get a Chinese world champion?
  10. Infidel Castro

Infidel Castro They only ate sausage...sausage on a stick

My hope is that the China Open winner is the World Champion this time round. That'd take some doing, but Mark Williams has found his mojo again. He's got the pedigree and seems to be going well against Campbell. I love proper long snooker sessions.
  11. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

First the young Chinese boys have to find their way out to the table - there's always one every year at the Crucible, what did the staff do, put up signs in Mandarin pointing them the wrong way?!

So today we got:-

Morning:
    Ding Junhui (Chn) 2-0 Stuart Pettman (Eng)
    Ryan Day (Wal) 2-0 Mark Davis (Eng)

Afternoon:
    Neil Robertson (Aus) v Fergal O'Brien (Ire)
    Ronnie O'Sullivan (Eng) 7-2 Liang Wenbo (Chn)

Evening:
    Mark King (Eng) 5-4 Steve Davis (Eng)
    Peter Ebdon (Eng) v Graeme Dott (Sco)

Watching Davis last night was painful. I had to flick over before too long, surprised to see him still up there only one frame behind King. Always liked King, you can learn a lot just from watching his shot selection.

Now come on everybody let's all see if we can't somehow, with our combined will, contrive to give Ebdon a first-round exit tonight. A white-wash would be nice. :)
  12. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

I refuse to watch ebdon matches these days. Just so dull. I'll tune in when the game has moved on and we are looking at next round matches.
  13. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

:D @ Ronnie yawning away in the corridor during his entrance, looks like he's been up all night... hope he stays sharp for this afternoon's sesh.
  14. zenie

zenie >^^<

Going to go home and watch this in bed with a migraine. :(

What channel's it on on freeview?
  15. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

Probably the only silver lining in the dark cloud that is the ashes of our holiday, is that I get to watch the snooker, which I would otherwise have missed :D
  16. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Why is a toilet manufacturer sponsoring Liang?

COSUN Group: "With COSUN, you will find the qualified plastic toilet water tank, toilet seat cover, flush mechanism, etc. With COSUN, you will find the qualified sanitarywares, including ceramics toilet closets, cabinet basin, urinal etc." http://www.cosunchina.com/
  17. zenie

zenie >^^<

Aww no my sympathies to the pair of you. :(
  18. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Nice one Ronnie :D
  19. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

Just seen Ronnie do a masterclass in finishing, winning the 11th frame 61-60...
  20. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

BBC2 or red button (channels 301/302 or something)

Ronnie 9-3 up and not even playing great by his standards. If he's just warming up, it's looking pretty good for the Rocket.
  21. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Come on Ronnie!
  22. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

9-7... yes Denis, we really do have a game on now! Come on Ron, wrap it up - I'm going home soon.
  23. bi0boy

bi0boy .

24. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

Thank you :)
  25. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

Ronnie's been warned about his 'middle finger response' to missing a red into the middle pocket; "earning a rebuke from referee Colin Humphries. He has been warned that he risks being docked a frame if there is any repeat" (BBC Sport) :eek:

Still doesn't beat the year he headbutted an official and got busted for puffing though.

Oh, and surely this isn't the first time a fan has nodded off during a Peter Ebdon game?! :D
  26. Ronnie v Liang match-
    Great stuff. Really admire Liang for coming back like he did– a less composed player would have crumbled being that far behind against the legendary Ronnie O’Sullivan!

Just catching up on Neil Robertson vs Feargal O'brien. Go Neil!

Why do I like Robertson so much? Well, that blue he potted with the massive screw-back in the third frame says it all– he’s got real flair. Also seems like a good-humoured player who really enjoys the game.
  27. I don't really want to slag Ebdon, but yeah, I know what you mean. Especially as he'll often return to the table with say, just the pink and black left, whilst needing three snookers :rolleyes:

He's the only player I can think of that I don't enjoy watching... 'cept when he gets a pasting :D
  28. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

He's also the only player who will look at a fairly tricky shot from every angle, for five minutes or so, before playing the obvious easy safety that everyone knew he'd play all along. Pardon the language, but the man is a cunt.
  29. :D

That was what I was trying to avoid saying;)
    Yaaaaay! Go Neil!
  30. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

Lovely headline on the BBC Sport snooker page:-

Ebdon drops out of world's top 16
    Former world champion Peter Ebdon drops out of the top 16 for the first time since 1994 after losing 10-5 to Graeme Dott at the Crucible.

The sun's shining, Ebdon's out of the Worlds... what a beautiful day!