1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slimmer, cheaper Amazon Kindle comes to the UK with internet access from just £109!

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by editor, Jul 29, 2010.

1. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

2. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

3. revol68

revol68 what, fucking what?

Rather have a book, though it would be good for pdf essays and shit.

4. editor

Yes, that's explained in the link. I'll change the title to "from" £109.

Either way it looks great value and should do well. It's really small and light has a good screen, you can download books on the move, has internet access and millions of free and paid books, with a one month battery life If I travelled/commuted a lot I'd definitely look at getting one.

5. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama ...On A Ragga Tip

Read the OP and thought, "3,500 pages"? That's not much... 3-4 big books.
    It's actually 3,500 books, which is a lot better.

Looks nice, long battery life for holidays etc too.

6. Crispy

At that price, it'll sell very well I think

7. Lord Camomile

Lord Camomile Unknown Member

It almost looks a little too thin, like it might get annoying to hold for any great length of time, you'd have to grip harder to keep it in your hand sorta thing.

Gotta say though, it is tempting, especially with all the free classics (though would have to take a look at just what that means :hmm: ). Do they have sales on ebooks and stuff? Don't wanna be forking out £10 for any other book I want to read.

8. editor

Not sure what you mean as it's no different to reading a mag or a small paperback. I love the fact that it's so thin and light.

As for prices:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Reading-Display-Graphite-Globally/dp/B002LVUWFE/

9. Lord Camomile

Yeah, to be honest I'm not exactly sure what I mean either. It's just when I watched that video my immediate reaction was they way she was holding it would get uncomfortable after a while :confused: Admittedly it's down in part to the 'marketing' way she's holding it, and people would probably not hold it like that in real life.

I guess it could just be that it's not the way I'm used to seeing someone read a 'book', but it looked awkward.

Would like to have a go though. At that price it looks very "Christmas present" ;)

10. Winot

Winot Win not Whine

Looks fantastic, and at a price which makes it worth trying* even if you're not sure you 'need' an e-book reader.

* if I didn't already have an iPad

11. Lord Camomile

After an embarrassing amount of searching, I found a list of the free books here.

Some other stuff here too :)

12. memespring

memespring Well-Known Member

ordered.

13. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

£109 is a very good price, that's the kind of price point that will cause get your average joe picking one up.

14. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah where's your ladders?

yeah, at that price i think i'd be game.

15. editor

The iPad's great at a lot of stuff, the Kindle is much better as an eReader and it's much lighter and much cheaper too. The fact that you can use the 3G connection anywhere in the world makes it a very tempting purchase too.

Fuck, it's that cheap, I might just crack some time soon!

16. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Anti-homelessness stud.

I'd rather have a book.

17. Kid_Eternity

I'm very tempted by this! Very nice looking device...

18. Crispy

Should be able to stick "evaluation" copies of books on it too, if you'r enot into the whole paying for things thing

19. editor

Books are great, but for £100 you can carry around as many books as you could ever read in a lifetime in something that weighs less than a paperback. Add in a vast library of free books, internet access, web pages, blogs, PDFs, etc and you've got yourself an incredibly versatile gizmo.

20. yield

yield zero

21. editor

Err, that's because the company selling the books were found not to have the legal right to do so, and all customers were refunded with the option to download it again from another publisher.

22. yield

yield zero

For sure.

It's more the remote deletion of content without people's consent I'm dubious about.

23. bmd

bmd and you will see me

Can you put your own pdfs on it?

24. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

The dimensions are about the same as my book and that's perfect. Great price.

25. Kid_Eternity

Amazon are really pushing this in the right way, logging on to Amazon UK I got this screen:

[​IMG]

Have to say the more I read the more tempted I am, love so much about this, great battery, notes, sharing via Twitter and Facebook, FREE 3g! Great price and form factor, think they may have just cracked it.

26. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

This looks like a good design and that is definitely a terrific price - that's less than what generic e-readers have been selling for.

The commercial e-book market is still awful though. They're still in the mindset that the music companies used to be in. You can get quite a few new publications but they are still vastly overpriced for what they are. I was looking at getting China Mieville's Kraken on the iPad - it's £12 on iBooks and slightly cheaper but not much on Kindle (you can read Kindle books on iPad/iPhone btw). I could, and did, get the hardback from Amazon for less than that, which is DRM free and I can lend to people or sell on or give away, as opposed to simply having a licence to read something on one particular platform that's going to be useless in five years' time.

The tech is all about the public domain books and small/indie publishers (who charge reasonable prices) for me. If you want to publish a magazine of new writing, you can do it electronically, and people can read it on their phones or Kindles or computers without platform issues if you don't DRM it all.

27. editor

I think this could well be the first mass market eReader. The pricing is spot on and the ability to subscribe to UK magazines and newspapers is interesting too.

Amazon are pitching it just right as well:

28. Kid_Eternity

Yep that's my thinking also, this is just spot on. It aggressively takes on the iPad in terms of it's usp, it's price and FREE 3G! :D

29. editor

The fact that you can use the 3G when you're abroad is genius.

I suspect a few people mulling over the iPad and are going to think twice about shelling out £400 when they can get one of these for nearly a quarter of the price.

30. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

They need to move the price of the Kindle way out of the range of the iPad to have it succeed - which is what they've done here, sensibly. What you need to do is have it seen as a different level of purchase, so that people don't compare the two. Any reader priced near iPad price, people are going to say "well I can read books on the iPad and it also does all this other stuff" - in general, while it might be nicer to read books on e-paper type devices, people are happy enough in practice reading books on their phones, let alone larger conventional screens.