1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleeper trains London-Scotland, any good/worth doing?

Discussion in 'transport' started by Placid Casual27, Apr 26, 2012.

1. silverfish

silverfish Sprinkling glitter on turds

Only on urban:) almost as spectacular as the swan drowning man racism thread
  2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

You're quite strange Bungle.
  3. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf cocoa buttery

I will be getting the sleeper back from inverness next week
    *excited*
    will report back
    can't wait to piss in the sink
    quimcunx likes this.
  4. extra dry

extra dry 2fast2live2young2die

It is less stress on a train, I m not constantly thinking of all things that can go wrong on a train/during a journey.

Where as on a plane my mind is in over load thinking of all the thousands of nuts and bolts which could bring the plane down or the guy, this happened in 2000, who sits besides me and says 'I'm glad you are not a Jew'

...anyway the train is great, usually you arrive in a city center or close as..the airport can still leave you a 20-30quid taxi just to get to a town.

Did the trip go OK would you recommend it to others?
  5. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Doesn't the pope have his own pope-plane. I always think of him like Batman, with a themed vehicle for any occasion and a pope-cave under the Vatican.

I love sleeper carriages and took them in Europe in the 80s where and when they were affordable.
  6. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf cocoa buttery

I am on the sleeper *excited* but sharing with a stranger so no pissing in the sink
  7. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Oooh yay!
  8. claphamboy

claphamboy The wheels on the bus go round and round....

I don't know, it could be an introduction to an interesting night. ;)
    Miss-Shelf likes this.
  9. paolo

paolo Member You're a Womble

Spymaster has lost perspective on this one I think.

A bit like someone squashing on to the tube every morning, and thinking the tourists on the windy open top bus are somehow losers, simply because the tube is faster and indoors.

I'm of the opposite view. I know who is having a better time, and it's not me on the tube. (And, I suspect, Spymaster doesn't find his flights very much fun either. It's a chore he probably wishes he wasn't forced to do.)

For others though, sometimes, it's fun to travel. It's not all about speed or a conventional view of comfort. And indeed, there's little correlation with affluence either - in some cases quite the opposite. Someone, say, going to Australia overland is likely to be considerably wealthier - in terms of cash *and* time - than someone flying, even if they fly first class. Spymaster is probably time poor and cash constrained.

My favourite sleeper trip was to Berlin. We had a new compartment, with our own WC & shower. As we were coming into Berlin, the carriage conductor had laid out another empty compartment for us to use as a private breakfast space. He served us whilst we watched a snowy Berlin come into view. When we arrived we wheeled our bags 10 minutes to our apartment near the station in the city centre.

It wasn't cheap, but you couldn't get an experience like that flying unless you went by private jet.

The Caledonian sleeper isn't quite as plush of course, but it can still be fun for those who aren't living the tedium of frequent travel on that route.
    madzone and Miss-Shelf like this.
  10. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

We're are you going from/to Miss Shelf?
  11. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf cocoa buttery

Iam coming back from inverness. i went up to glasgow to see friends who drove me up to their croft on the coast in wester ross. then i got the train to kyle and pennimania picked me up and took me to skye. i have seen mountains , seals, wild goats,deer, lochs, much rabbits and sun. so sunny i kid you not. so lucky to have that experience. it has reset my head all that loveliness.
    kittyP likes this.
  12. Quartz

Quartz Contrarian plebeian

I've used the sleeper service and it was ace. If you want a shower, you walk about half a mile, maybe less, to another station (I forget which) and use the showers there. Definitely get a berth rather than a sleeper seat.
  13. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

That sounds lovely Miss-Shelf :cool: :)
  14. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf cocoa buttery

Yes it was

and back on the topic of sleeper being worth it -i didnt sleep v well but it was very comfortable to travel such a long way lying down rather than in the daytime with so many people and crowded seated trains and changes of train. it gave an extra day of holiday and was simple and peaceful
    Greebo likes this.
  15. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

I am very very jealous of your whole holiday!! :cool:

I have not seen mountains for far too long :(
  16. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

You will soon I'm sure missy :)

We got the Night Riviera a few weeks back, and was good to have the whole of Sunday down in Cornwall, and was a great experience. I did sleep a bit, but really not enough. Went straight to work from the train and felt a bit odd all day :D

(didn't wee in the sink either)
    Greebo and Miss-Shelf like this.
  17. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils