1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleeper trains London-Scotland, any good/worth doing?

Discussion in 'transport' started by Placid Casual27, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Ahhh, those were the days!

twentythreedom likes this.
  2. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

It's fabulous. This russian guy who moved to Scotland many years ago. He makes mechanical sculptures. Their permanent home is in a gallery in Glasgow. They are wonderful.

3. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

The sleeper train has been good to me - last three times it arrived at Euston late and I got my fare back in vouchers which covered all my train trips for about a year. I have used it a lot and never had anyone else in the carriage. And the toothbrushing kits are brilliant. It was better when you could smoke in the bar bit as that tended to lead to conversations with random people.

4. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

If it's free it's probably worth it.

Just about.

5. Teaboy

Teaboy Tryhard wannabe

I've just booked return tickets to Newcastle from London even travelling 1st class (special occasion) it worked out about £70 per ticket cheaper than flying with BA from Heathrow. There are some really good deals about on the trains as long as you don't travel at peak time.

6. Placid Casual27

Placid Casual27 Gorau Chwarae Cyd Chwarae

Thanks for (some of!) the responses so far

I don't want to go by plane that is the whole point of train question

It wd be me and my GF so she would be the only one sharing with dodgy unwashed oik

I said Glasgow as we both love it but I may think of going further north

(it is for a landmark birthday of hers, weekend away kind of thing)

7. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

London to Newcastle is about 3 hours on the train. Pointless flying.

Plane wins when the train journey is about 5 hours or more, overnight :facepalm: , or stupidly expensive.

8. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

Why would anyone want to go to Scotland in the first place :confused:

9. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Scotland's a cracking place. It's the bit between London and Scotland that need to be traversed as efficiently as possible (i.e. flown over).

10. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

A special weekend away and you're going to spend 2 nights of it on some begrimed train?????

Hope we're not going to be seeing a "My Girlfriend Has Left Me" thread in 'nobbing and sobbing' soon. :(

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  11. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

4 pages? Srs? Again?

12. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

:D Excellent :D

13. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

My mum and dad did that in the 70s and they still have the tartan thermos they got given on the train.

oryx likes this.
  14. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

I've got a ScotRail sleeping mask and I've never even been to Scotland :cool:

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  15. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

They should give out gas masks now.

16. Bahnhof Strasse

Fair enough. As my sister was born in Glasgow I guess it makes sense to trace her roots and stuff. And if I were to go there, of course flying is the only sensible option.

17. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

It is if you're not mentally challenged.

Why in gods name would you ever consider trundling up on a malodorous train, sleeping with a stranger, and arriving unwashed a day later; when merely two and a half hours after leaving Paddington you could be sitting in a bar on Sauchiehall Street necking Scotch and enjoying your sisters company? For about the same money!

The only reason to take the sleeper seems to me to be some misguided sense of romantic nostalgia. It may have been fun back in days of yore, but now it's just a irksome, expensive, waste of time.

18. Bahnhof Strasse

Quite, I've done sleeper rail in Russia and Thailand, neither has had much romance to it. Plenty of boredom, very little romance.

19. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

But you do get to use your laptop! ;)

Kate Hillier likes this.
  20. Bahnhof Strasse

So does the cunt sharing your cabin, fap, fap, fap all night long. Joy.

21. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

So. Getting from Cornwall to Scotland (specifically the Cairngorms)....

Sleeper? Daytime trains? Or fly?

22. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

sleeper to london, day in london, sleeper to kingussie maybe, sleeper back to london, day in london, sleeper to cornwall. :)

23. Kate Hillier

Kate Hillier Active Member

Me want to do. Eye on Scotland a long time.

24. madzone

But that's 3 nights on a train :hmm: What I'm not getting is if it's only 4 and a half hours to glasgow and 5 and a half hours from Pz to London why is it almost 17 hrs on the train from Pz to the Scotlands? :confused:

I'd fly but it's so expensive. Getting anywhere from Cornwall is a pain in the arse.

25. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Still is DownwardDog

Eastern Airlines, Bristol - Aberdeen. 2 hours 15min.

26. madzone

2 adults and one child £731 return!!!! :eek:

And then there's getting to Bristol from Cornwall, either train tickets or parking fees for the airport and then the cost of getting from Aberdeen to the Cairngorms.

Fuck sake I could go to America for that.

eta - just over £300 on the train

27. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Still is DownwardDog

So basically, you're looking for low cost, quick, no hassle travel from end of the country to the other...

28. madzone

A total of about 700 miles. I don't think it's unreasonable to balk at paying £700 or it being less convenient than going abroad.

29. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

17 hours to travel about 600 miles is positively third-world. If I travelled for that long I'd want to wake up on the other side of the planet.

If I were you I'd drive it in three 200 mile hits with an hour break for lunch and a one hour kip. Maybe share the driving with the other adult. It would take about 12/13 hours even with a few delays. You'd have a private compartment all the way there and back, great music/radio, and the benefit of having a motor whilst your in Scotchville.

30. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

The Ghan from Darwin to Adelaide is a train journey (or vici versa),if you want to see how big and how empty OZ is,it's an eye opener.