1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleeper trains London-Scotland, any good/worth doing?

Discussion in 'transport' started by Placid Casual27, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Placid Casual27

Placid Casual27 Gorau Chwarae Cyd Chwarae

Anyone done this recently? Any tips, is it good fun is it nicer/better than getting just a normal train?

It's for a treat

Thanks for any guidance

PS I mean to Glasgow, not Highlands
  2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Several threads on this.

I'd rather fly. It seems you often get to share the sleeping compartment with some random stranger. No thanks.

Seeing as flights from London-Glasgow return are about £75 it's probably cheaper too.
  3. claphamboy

claphamboy The wheels on the bus go round and round....

Hardly environmentally is it? :mad:
  4. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

I think if It's for a treat It's probably not for saving money or convenience.
    I would love to do it for the experience.

But yes, there are already a few threads on it.
    I can't search properly on my phone sorry.
  5. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

The plane's going anyway, with or without me. My being on it will reduce its overall emissions footprint.
  6. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Just seen you said Glasgow.
    Tbh, is just get a normal train, I think half the fun is suppose to be waking up pulling through the stunning scenery of the highlands.
    Reno likes this.
  7. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

You could use that kind of cop out with most environmental issues though :D
  8. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Arriving in Scotland, unwashed, the day after I left, after spending the night sleeping in a cubicle with a stranger in the next bed, isn't my idea of a treat. :hmm:

But whatever floats your boat I suppose ....
    extra dry likes this.
  9. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

Nope, I did this at xmas.. was a bit of a waste of money tbh. I was expecting something more along the lines of what you get in india/thailand.. :facepalm:
  10. claphamboy

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

But, if you & a few others refused to take the plane, it wouldn't bloody take-off anyway.

Although, this thread could.
  11. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

Used it last week so i could have evening out in london and arrive in glasgow next morning. Got a cabin to myself so really rather good.
    kittyP likes this.
  12. Fruitloop

Fruitloop communism will win

Take a friend, then you can share a cabin. I think it's ace - thought they had stopped it to be honest.

Can you still get the southbound one down to Penzance?
  13. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

You can pay for sole use, or go with a friend.

It's kinda fun. And sex on a bunk is challenging but rewarding.
    nipsla, kittyP and claphamboy like this.
  14. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Yeah yeah yeah! When the train becomes roughly comparable with the speed, cost, and convenience of flying I'm sure some will switch, although the prospect of sharing a berth with a random is a total deal-breaker for me.

I could end up sharing with you! :(
  15. claphamboy

And sex with some random stranger can be fun too.
  16. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Whereas by flying you start off with an exciting trip to some far flung shit airport, then wait about for ages, then get frisked, have your bags fiddled about with and probably have to take your shoes off. Then you get shoehorned into a tiny seat next to some elbowing stranger and wait about for ages for take off, can't use your laptop to surf the web or make calls for the entire duration, and then get dropped off at some other remote destination, while all the while putting up two fingers to the environment.

A sleeper on the other hand sees you arriving at a central London station, stretching out and having a comfortable journey north, ready to be dropped off exactly where you want to be.
  17. claphamboy

But, I am not some random stranger to you.

Although, if we did end-up sharing, sex would be totally off the menu. :p
  18. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Heathrow. With a nice lounge, booze, shops and decent restaurants.

Half an hour ...

For about 10 minutes on a domestic.

Forty minutes!

.... unwashed, significantly worse off financially, and hopefully not robbed by the cretin you slept with.
  19. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

That would've been the only incentive.
  20. editor

Happen often/ever does it?

:facepalm:
  21. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Arriving unwashed and poorer? Always.

Robbed? It'll never happen to me.

I fly. ;)
  22. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

Do you not know how to use the sink with hot and cold water, soap and a towel provide in the cabin?
  23. editor

...And then there's the Central London to Heathrow travel time, arrival and check in (recommended minimum of one hour), the flight time, landing, airside to baggage reclaim, followed by Glasgow Airport to Central Square.
  24. Teaboy

Teaboy Tryhard wannabe

Travelling by train is an infintly more pleasurable experience then flying regardless of whether you fly from Heathrow or Luton. That being said they do need to find away to get journey times and cost down if its ever going to become the automatic choice.

I was looking at the new eurostar promotion for travelling to Amsterdam thinking thats great but when I looked into it you're looking at close to 5 hours and well over £100 when you can fly to Schipol in 45 minutes for around £50. I like the train but thats a hard sell.
    Mephitic likes this.
  25. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

.. and Heathrow is a shit hole
  26. silverfish

silverfish Sprinkling glitter on turds

book early for cheap tickets.

Its ace as it free up a night on the piss at each end prior to travel.

I've not shared once yet, crispy duvet covers and sheets, a bar full of unusual people all drinking

I love it

Beware with the booking I paid up 3 months in advance once and on the day of the race they said I'd not paid...had to buy a full price ticket, took about 3 months worth of moaning letters to get a refund.

Sleepers don't even seem packed out for the fringe, so possibility of a cabin on your own seems reasonable most trips
  27. editor

I must have dreamt all those stories of baggage handlers stealing goods and airlines losing suitcases then.
  28. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I like to have a shower before starting the day. If you can make do with a quick tosh-over in a shared sink, good luck to you.
  29. editor

Indeed. Who wants to go to Heathrow?
  30. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

fixed :)