1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shops only stocking up to size 18 and making you order anything bigger online.

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by madzone, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Shirl

Shirl donkey dory

I wouldn't be seen dead in pastel anything, I'm an exceedingly stylish granny :D
  2. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

EXACTLY!!!! :mad: :facepalm:
  3. _angel_

_angel_ pamphlet militancy

The bottoms are quite different to the top halves though. I think, like nearly every single high street shop, they assume that you are pear shaped. I may be fat but I am not pear shaped!
  4. Shirl

Shirl donkey dory

Oh, I get you now. I was thinking that because all grannies don't wear pastel and elastic waists grannies could be cool but pastel...:facepalm:

never mind, I get it now :oops:

Shirl, stylish but dim :D
    madzone likes this.
  5. toggle

toggle on holiday to complete thesis

i am, sort of. much bigger round my bum than my top, but i have a waist and few places seem to think that anyone has a waist, particularly if they are larger than average. it is fairly rare i can find anyhting that fits over my bum and dosen't gape at my waist.
  6. Ceej

Ceej Where is my mind?

Nothing in Evans has boobs in the same place as mine, and almost everything for the summer has no sleeves. I want sleeves - I am seriously challenged in the upper-arm area - and when I asked at the desk why none of their summer tops had sleeves, the (size 12) girl said 'well, fatter ladies get a bit hot and sweaty in the summer'! Last time I went in.

I always like Monsoon clothes on the hangers, but I look like Ma Larkin or a badly-upholstered sofa when I try them on.

Winter isn't so bad, but I truly dread summer clothes.
  7. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Well as a small chap I find that a lot of shops dont even make anything in my size. Even uniclo stopped making jeans smaller than 30 / 32. I cant even buy on line. It may just be that it is better to just go for, or stock the most popular sizes.
  8. madzone

Every shop I go in has loads of 6s and 8s left on the rail and fuck all else. Popularity doesn't seem to bother them when they overstock the small sizes.
    temper_tantrum likes this.
  9. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

I am already back in exactly this plus leg warmers.... not sure if I want to go as way back as skull patterned tights though - I may get some and make them into 3/4 length leggings.
  10. _angel_

_angel_ pamphlet militancy

Get some shawls.
  11. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Black puddings very black today, Mother!

Wtf?:mad:

I am surprised you didn't walk out of the shop wearing her arms as a pair of sleeves!!
    dessiato and madzone like this.
  12. madzone

Wtf?? She said WHAT?? :eek:

I got my arms out the other day because Stella was cold so I gave her my cardigan :rolleyes: I never get my arms out normally.
    5t3IIa likes this.
  13. toggle

Think i'm lucky in monsoon, whatever i've picked in there seems to fit well. just a shame i can't afford more though.
  14. toggle

i like shawls. i've got quite a few of them, cause i knit and i look terrible in jumpers, so i knit shawls instead.
  15. Ceej

Ceej Where is my mind?

I would have, but they were a bit skimpy, size-wise! Cheeky mare.

Four hours shoping today elicited a splitting headache, sore feet and a single black shirt. I give up.
    Also, I've been to Wood Green and never seen so many children getting clipped around the ear in one day...can't make up my mind if the next generation is going to be really well-behaved or merely violent.
  16. ajdown

ajdown Posting in this thread

It's just as different for "above average" men too, and we have an even smaller range of choices than ladies to start with.
  17. madzone

I don't think anyone's said it's easier for men, have they?
  18. ajdown

ajdown Posting in this thread

No, but people don't think so much that it could be difficult for us, that's all.
  19. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Not for boys they dont
  20. joustmaster

joustmaster not a racist

at least you can order online :(
  21. dessiato

dessiato Galatians 6:10

My wife is a 12/14, there is nothing in the shops here that is large enough, apart from the bin-liner things that are so 'popular' here. The next problem is that the summer clothing in EU is not acceptable here. No bare arms, no legs and so on. Sudanese clothing = dark and ugly in horrible fabrics; EU clothing too revealing. Lose/lose situation. She is looking forward to getting some clothes she can wear for the holiday back home.
  22. mentalchik

mentalchik far too big for her boots

My youngest (18 yrs) is a 28 waist, primark, new look all seem to have plenty jeans in those sizes.........mostly he has a 30 inch waist though so that a 32 leg is long enough.........finding a 28waist, 34 leg is, i grant you, exceedingly difficult
  23. madzone

That's a good point actually. I never have a problem finding clothes for the boys or mr madz and they are a whole bunch of weird sizes.
  24. madzone

In theory, yes I can but I've never kept anything that I've ordered online. It's alll been shit.
  25. Ceej

Ceej Where is my mind?

I really can't make shawls work - my top half (arms, boobs, midriff) is much bigger than the bottom - anything cutting me across the elbow-line makes me look wider than ever. Usually wear jackets or shirts. Even those little shrug/bolero things make me look like a toffee apple.
  26. invisibleplanet

invisibleplanet porter des cornes

Wear them around your waist, tie in front? Like this:
    http://ladyviolette.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/CIMG7063.jpg
  27. madzone

I don't do shawls either. Too fiddly and really unflattering.
  28. madzone

29. invisibleplanet

invisibleplanet porter des cornes

Ah, okay :oops: But is a flattering way to wear a shawl :D
  30. madzone

I'd have to disagree with you on that as well :D