1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Say hello to Barratt Homes' 'Brixton Square' on Coldharbour Lane (old Cooltan site)

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 14, 2012.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Being evicted

2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

3. Gramsci

Gramsci Being evicted

no·to·ri·ous
       [noh-tawr-ee-uhs, -tohr-, nuh-] Show IPA
    adjective
    widely and unfavorably known: a notorious gambler. Synonyms:infamous, egregious, outrageous, arrant, flagrant, disreputable.
  4. Gramsci

Gramsci Being evicted

Afraid there is. Full quote:

If you want to stay closer to home, both Brockwell Park and Clapham Common offer acres of green space in which to relax and unwind or enjoy a run. Dulwich Village is also within easy reach with plenty of shops, restaurants, cafes and green open spaces.

http://www.barratthomes.co.uk/Find-a-Home/New-Developments/H5913-Brixton-Square/Local-Area/

It is interesting that Barrats are using Brixton Village as selling point. Also they are emphasising the Brixton is really almost in Clapham or Dulwich (according to them) so you are not trapped in "notorious ":rolleyes: Brixton.
  5. Gramsci

Gramsci Being evicted

One thing Barrats website does not mention is living near the "notorious" Barrier Block. :D
  6. Minnie_the_Minx

I sat on Clapham Common for an hour yesterday. So much more accessible and not nearly as notorious as Brockwell Park. :D Almost wanted to move back :oops:

Give it time and I reckon the Barrier Block will be described as vibrant and edgy ;)
    Gramsci likes this.
  7. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Famous? They clearly don't know what notorious means.
  8. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

I hate them for putting Duran Duran into my head.
  9. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Innit. FFS I could do without that to start the day :mad:
  10. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

It's not too bad - i've been singing the theme music to Game of Thrones since about 8 am.

Your strapline reminded me that I was given a bottle of Lambeth Walk porter last night:

http://www.bythehorns.co.uk/LW.html their website seems appropriate for Brixton Sq. but they're from Earlsfield, so I guess it's understandable.
    nipsla likes this.
  11. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Notorious for occasionally smelling a bit off on a hot day?
    Minnie_the_Minx likes this.
  12. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

13. Rushy

Rushy Wiggly.

They have probably worked very hard to tie it in with the ugliness of other properties in its vicinity.
    On that basis, they have done a great job.
  14. editor

The Barrier Block may not be to everyone's taste, but at least it's original and distinctive, and very well built. It's instantly recognisable and a local landmark.

That factory/office block looking-thing is about as bland and as anonymous as it gets.
  15. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

It looks identical to that Clapham Park development on Kings Avenue, minging.
  16. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Looks like standard, identi-kit craned on in panels shite.

They just hit 'random' on some CAD computer I swear and send the dimensions off to a factory to get it built.

Looks shit basically, and that's on the graphics, normally they look worse after
    editor likes this.
  17. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Barratts are notorious for not giving a shit about design. They're a pure numbers company. Square meters, cost, profit.
  18. Rushy

Rushy Wiggly.

It is that.
  19. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Notorious is the new edgy.
    editor likes this.
  20. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Nice large south-facing windows - but I share the concerns raised by someone who Tweeted this afternoon:
    David @BrixtonianDave
    Will Brixton Square have a "safe" drug dealing zone in their gated community for testosterone fuelled bond-traders?

If not - I fear the current Mecca for drug tourism that is Coldharbour Lane will become even more edgy - and violent!
    Gramsci and Minnie_the_Minx like this.
  21. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I share that sentiment - and I will be happy to sign up to a proposed listing. One of the Ted Hollamby era projects which somehow managed to fall on its feet.
    Check his obituary - he had quite a different background from what you would expect, given what he "threw up" in his Lambeth days.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2000/jan/24/guardianobituaries
  22. story

story Changing the facts

23. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Notice the typical Brixton pedestrians.
    xslavearcx, kalibuzz and CH1 like this.
  24. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Maybe they will indeed be typical by the time this Social Cleansing Council has finished its work!
    Minnie_the_Minx likes this.
  25. editor

I don't think there's a black face to be seen on any of their promotion for this factory housing development. :facepalm:
    CH1 likes this.
  26. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

It looks a bit like the council offices opposite the Canterbury Arms. Maybe that's the look they were going for?
  27. Minnie_the_Minx

A few people have noticed that. Maybe it's time someone mentioned it to them. :D
  28. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

Not to different from Effra Parade primary school replacement.
    So dull but it allows them to pack em in.
  29. editor

They look more or less identical.
  30. mizfick

mizfick Member

Someone needs to shoot the copywriter. Immediately. I wonder who will live there though, I have a feeling some Brixsters wouldn't - then again they've cunningly blocked the view of the Barrier Block so that flats overlook each other. This isn't really gentrification it's charmless redevelopment - and it's very optimistic if you think about it, in fact it's clutching at straws. Not on the scale of Wapping or East End gentrification where I seem to remember amongst the plastic flats there were some old buildings with history involved.