1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Say hello to Barratt Homes' 'Brixton Square' on Coldharbour Lane (old Cooltan site)

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 14, 2012.

1. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

2. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

3. editor

Look! The name looks like it was written in graffiti!

Well streeeeet!

trabuquera likes this.
  4. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

An apostrophe and S after Brixton will be more appropriate soon

5. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

the flags are very evil empire

Greebo likes this.
  6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Anyone seen any prices to buy "off plan"?
    I asked the two building site workers closing up this afternoon when the sales office was opening and the younger Polish one keenly asked if I was interested to buy. When I said I didn't need to 'cos my house was allegedly worth £XXX,XXX and they'd better hurry up in case the London house market crashed the English guy raised his eyes to heaven "Another Brixton nutter here!"

7. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

8. crawl

crawl Gimme gimme gimme, don't ask what for

Could they try any harder? As if the new glossy black walls and flags they put up weren't enough of give away.

I wonder if they're going to construct a private walkway to the arcade so the tenants don't have to leave their comfort zone but can still feel hip

9. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

It's more like paint with tyre marks in it.

10. Gramsci

Gramsci Being evicted

11. Gramsci

Gramsci Being evicted

Barratt buys in Brixton
    Barratt Homes has bought the land at 368-372 Coldharbour Lane in Brixton, SW9, for [pounds sterling]8.5m. The site has planning permission from Lambeth council for 155 homes across seven floors. The vendor, Places for People, was advised by Cluttons; Barratt Homes was unrepresented.

from
    http://business.highbeam.com/410547/article-1G1-280071954/deals

12. Gramsci

Gramsci Being evicted

13. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

I think it's meant to be edge. but edge with a 21st-century gloss. or something. :facepalm:

14. editor

I heard Barratt Homes just bought that planning proposal, so it looks this hefty development is what we'll be getting:
    No mention of a public square then, so it looks like Brixton Square will in fact be Brixton GerrOffMyLand Square.

15. chazegee

chazegee Number two.

Last memory of cooltan was smoking a spliff in a car on it's roof. :eek:
    Will be hard to beat...

ruffneck23 likes this.
  16. Gramsci

Gramsci Being evicted

If Places for People had made sure the planning permission was current it would have be part of the deal when the land was sold. Should mean they got better price for land.

It will be private square. Calling something a square seems to be latest thing. It sounds good to call it a square.

17. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

If there are any further large developments like this we should make sure the planning permission is personal to the applicants or RISE UP!

Gramsci and editor like this.
  18. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Will it be gated?

19. eroom

eroom Well-Known Member

Is there a more miserable, soul-destroying phrase than 'gated community'?

20. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

It keeps them safe though and that's important (apart from flying bombs)

[​IMG]

21. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Quite - and there's one round the corner at Loughborough Junction (above the former Warrior ph). I'm beginning to think that Lambeth Planning respond best to applications inspired by Fascist Italy (but without the design values).

22. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

"Gated community" means something like this:

[​IMG]
    A whole area of streets and homes, with restricted access and probably private security.

When an apartment block has a gate to restrict access to its carpark/back yard, then it's not a gated community, it's just an apartment block.

23. editor

Talking of back yards, it's incredible to see that the adjacent new build is still unfinished along its Valentia Place flank, with breeze block walls still exposed.

24. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

Blimey, all going up in the world around your end this week!! ;)

25. eroom

eroom Well-Known Member

Actually maybe that's a better way to think about gated communities: that it's us - the rest of society - locking away them - undesirables - behind the gates.

(And Crispy - yes I take your point about the distinction: I don't object to gates wholesale...)

26. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Maybe the Barratt thingy will qualify then. But you could hardly call the Warrior a concierge, could you. Just crap design IMHO.

27. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Remember they're still paying off their section 106 contribution at £13,000 a month. I expect they are watching their cash-flow.

28. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

They actually call Brixton market 'notorious' on that horrific website.

[​IMG]

29. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

They're just trying to attract Brass Eye fans (or producers).

snowy_again likes this.
  30. editor