1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryanair...never again

Discussion in 'transport' started by beeboo, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Depends on the airport. Some are more jobsworth than others.

The safest bet. Letter of the law type thing. Shove any purchases into your hand luggage so that you still only have one bag. They will tell you off for multiple bags.
    They rarely check for extra weight once you are in departures. Unless it's plainly obvious that your bag is so heavy you can hardly carry it lol.

When I online checked in for Stansted I never once went anywhere near a scales as I bypassed the check in desk.

Tampere in Finland though weighed everyone before you entered departures no matter how you had checked in.

2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Once you've gone through security, you're normally ok.

However, what I have seen happening a couple of times is that Ryanair suddenly started telling people who had bought stuff at the airport that they still had to put it in their one item of luggage. This happened twice in a row but hasn't happened since so don't know what twat implemented that rule.

3. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

Yeah, easyjet made me pay to check my luggage in after I had bought stuff in duty free, despite there being notices up in the airport shops saying that duty free items didn't count under the one bag rule.

4. deadringer

deadringer meat pie sausage roll

T & C's from the airlines state that items bought do count towards the one bag rule. although in my experience if you bowl up to the plane with some bits in a carrier bag there is never any problems.

apart from the problem of forgetting what you've bought and leaving it on the plane! :D

5. beeboo

beeboo geek chic

I think you're definitely safer to work on the principle that bought items need to go into your hand luggage.

Last time I flew Ryanair they were shouting to people in departures that everything had to be in one bag, and they were pulling people with duty free bags to one side. Although having said that I saw some of those same people boarding the flight still with a separate duty free bag, so perhaps they managed to win the argument with Ryanair staff.

It's exactly this kind of extra stress which makes flying with Ryanair shit :mad:

6. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

Not really on topic, but just for your info., the "2%" claim has repeatedly been shown to be false and I wish apologists for big corporations and pollution would stop using it.

The original source was the Stern Report, which followed that data with the sentence "the impact of aviation on climate change is greater than these figures suggest because of other gases released by aircraft... for example water vapour". These roughly double the effective percentage.

But Stern and the original IPCC report he got his figures from are out of date. Stern's data come from someone else's report in 2005, which in turn cites data for 2002. Since when global aircraft emissions have grown by about 40%. And IPCC scientists (in mid 2009, so out of date already) quote a figure for aviation's contribution to global warming of almost 5%. Its also the fastest rising source of carbon emissions.

Against that you could travel easily to the south of France by train using mostly electricity generated by nuclear power for about one tenth of the carbon cost of flying.

7. PacificOcean

PacificOcean Unhinged User

Still, 95% of global emissions come from other sources, so I won't feel guilty about my trip to Thailand this summer.

Maybe though, I should think twice about ditching my phone that is only a year old because my contract is up?

Either way, does it make a difference?

8. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 Least LA person in LA

I flew to Ireland on Saturday and the jobsworth at Gatwick said I have to put my carrier bag containig all of a newspaper and some chocolates in my hand luggage before she would let me in the gate holding area.

I asked if I could take it out when I've passed through into the gate holding area and she said yes. Before then saying, what's in the bag? I said. A newspaper and chocolate. To which she says, "oh thats ok then"

:rolleyes:

:facepalm:

9. beeboo

beeboo geek chic

Not to mention that quoting the global % contribution isn't the same as thinking about your personal carbon footprint. You can easily double your annual carbon footprint with a couple of long haul flights (if I remember correctly).

It's a bit like saying that because gun crime only accounts for a tiny percentage of all deaths it's OK to get a sniper rifle and start taking potshots.*

*deliberately hyperbolic example, I know, before anyone says anything.

10. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

Last time I went to Stansted they were pulling people all over the place for having oversized bags.

The classic was when they told a girl that as long as her bag fitted in the frame it was ok. It took three people to kick, push and shove the bag in the frame and then they couldn't get it out - took four people to tip the frame over and kick the bag from the other side. You have to hand it to the Ryanair staff - they were deffo on that girls side, that day.

I always have to take loads of paperwork when I travel, so I'm pretty stuffed if its a budget airline. It ends up being a not very budget price and a load of hassle.

Anyway: am now super smug. Am coming back here to Dublin in a couple of weeks and paying £80 on cityjet from London City, even cheaper. We got coffee, pain au chocolate and pralines on the flight and my leather seat reclined. :p

It's a while since I been to London City - check-in there now consists of putting your card in a machine and inputting your destination airport. It then prints your boarding pass and off you go.

11. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

Fuck. I`m trying to book a flight for tomorrow but the Ryanair website appears to have fallen over, because they have a special offer on, and apparentlz ever fucker in europe is trzing to book flights! Grrrrr...

12. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

oh that happens all the time :rolleyes::D

13. LilMissHissyFit

LilMissHissyFit Disturbed in a pink bra

I wont use them again...... their £10 check in charge was enough to make me drive to luton on principle, extend my holiday etc

They are a bunch of cunts

14. Celt

Celt Well-Known Member

when I was mugged in spain and couldn#t travel on the day the flight was booked for they told me the insurance would cover it - try making a claim with ryanair they make it almost impossible to make a claim within the time they accept claims

they are indeed a bunch of cunts

15. spliff

spliff suitably seedy

There, we have it ...

16. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

I think I#m abo8ut to join the ranks of never again...

I tried to book a flight last night, got tzhrough payment stuff... got the Äwait 45 seconds thing... then it came up with an error message... basically i think site crashed because of special offer traffic... the message said that i would receive confirmation email if it had gone through... i checked email account several times and there was no confirmation... the internet cafe closed at midnight...

i'm back in internet cafe now... checked hotmail account again... no confirmation email... so I tried to book again... and of course since itäs the last seat the price has gone up a 100 euros overnight since i tried to book last night when there were two seats left... first of all, it said that my payment was declined, and i thought fuck maybe it did go through, so i checked hotmail again... no confirmation email... so i tried again... then it said that there was a duplicate booking, and that i'd receive an email... no email...

in desperation i've just checked my bank account online... it doesnät normallz process payments straight awaz or at least mz flight coming over here didnät go out immediatelz it took a couple of dazs to show up... but it seems that the booking last night did go through, because itäs the lower price... but iäve had no confirmation email. no email about this #duplicate# booking 0 but thereäs a note on the website sazing that duplicate bookings wonät be refunded...

iäve tried going through manage mz booking, but since i donät have a reservation number, as iäve had no email confirmation... then i entered email, date and to/from... and it tells me those details donät match anz booking on szstem, so i canät check in online... i canät confirm whether or not i have a booking... so i now have to leave fallingbostel... to catch a traint to hamburg and then another to lubeck... without knowing whether or not i can get on the flight... and even if i can.. iäm going to get fucking stung for not doing an online check in...

their website is broken!

ETA: #and# i#ve had to login and do internet banking in a fucking internet cafe... so iäm probablz going to get scammed unless i change all mz account details pronto... grrrr...

17. LilMissHissyFit

OH jeeeeze ann... and Im guessing its going to cost you something like £1 per second to talk to the only human they employ to answer the phone after about a million options??:rolleyes:

I really dont understnd how these shower of shites are still in business when they are basically loading every fare with a £20 surcharge per person just for checking in:confused:

18. pinkmonkey

19. LilMissHissyFit

Theyve already had anns money PM :( she just doesnt have any details of the flight

20. pinkmonkey

Bah that's rotten - wish I'd seen this yesterday, I reckon she'd have got a cheaper flight - esp at such short notice, ryanair don't tend to be cheap at all when you book at short notice.

21. ethel

ethel Well-Known Member

i can read..ignore me.

22. Kaye

Kaye Banned Banned

I bought a Ryanair flight to Dublin that I won't be using. Anyone want it? It's for 2 from 17th-20th Feb - probably cost you to change the names and that, but anyway.

23. trashpony

trashpony The kittens are taking over the world

I have just booked our flights for our summer holiday and I'm going to an airport that's further away, just so I don't have to fly with Ryanair. I think I hate Michael Leary more than any other person that I've never met

24. deadringer

they serve the sector and demographic they aim for extremely well. if you dont like them dont fly, simple!! bitch about the £20 surcharge on top of a cheap flight, but at the end of the day its still a cheap flight. only an idiot these days can be outraged at the add ons, its so well documented it will happen. i'll write big to make it simple the costs of the fees and expense of the food and drink subsidise the ticket price for all

because even with £20 added to a return flight they are still, 99% of the time, cheaper than anyone else, and miles cheaper and more practical than a journey by train. fuck me a return train journey in advance from london to liverpool is normally around £50 in advance, let alone flying half way accross europe! the fact that, booked smartly you can fly to anywhere in europe for less than £100 amazes me, let alone £50 or £60

no one is cheap at short notice. many years ago before ryanair, easyjet, go etc revolutionised the market last minute flights were dirt cheap. the budget airlines then came along witht their policy of making the first seats cheap, and the last ones to sell expensive. great for flexable travellers who can see bits of europe cheaply if planned correctly.

25. deadringer

in their opinions, of course.

many, including myself, think they are perfectly fine once you accept that 'o my god, the advertised return price of £40 has gone up to a ridiculous.........wait for it.......£60'

waa, waa, boo, boo hiss, michael o'leary is a cunt.

you get what you pay for. hate them that much dont fly with them. if your convinced your gonna have a bad time with them, well guess what, - you probably will. go it to it with your eyes open then you'll be ok and pretty much get there on time, if not early, with your luggage.

26. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

deadringer: Would you like all airlines to be like Ryanair?

27. PacificOcean

PacificOcean Unhinged User

Because they are still about £200 cheaper than a branded airline.

Ok, you don't get a tin foil meal and a little cup of orange juice - but as long as it get's you there in one piece (and I have yet to hear of a Ryanair jet crashing), they are still as cheap as chips.

I got a flight to Cork for £51 all in with Ryanair, Aer Lingus was £156 for the same dates - but to be fair, I get a thimble of orange juice - for a 50 minute flight with Aer Lingus.

If I was that desperate for three tablespoons of "concentrated" orange juice for 50 minutes, then maybe flying isn't for me?

28. deadringer

there would be no point, choice is what makes life interesting, no?
    if they were all the same, the prices would be the same. ryanair drives the price as low as it can go, knowing that X amount of people will not go, need to change their detail, lose their boarding pass, spend X amount on board, benefiting those who book early and manage their expectations.

im saying they serve a purpose, and buy and large they do go off without a hitch. for every person on here wailing about a bad experience they have had, how many millions get to their destinations without incident, for a great price?

29. deadringer

yes, yes, but what if you lose your boarding pass, both ways, then you'll have to pay another £80 to get them printed out ;)

and you'll probably have to spend a whopping £3 on board for a cup of coffee. how dare they!

30. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

The vast majority of people wouldn't even know what the prices really were. Just as the vast majority of people have no idea what they're going to end up paying when they start the booking process with Ryanair. The assurance that you don't need to compare prices with other airlines doesn't wash. It's an extremely sharp practice that has been criticised by a number of consumer bodies - or "whingers", as you would have it.