1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIM's PlayBook (yet another tablet)

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by Kid_Eternity, Sep 27, 2010.

1. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

2. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Bathing in the golden gloop

Watched a video of this playing Need For Speed (comes free with it) and Quake III at the same time, it looks polished, super fast, and slick.

eta: here's the vid:

3. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

I'm not feeling much consumer enthusiasm for this RIM tablet, you know.
  4. mwgdrwg

Looks good though, doesn't it.
  5. editor

It looks much the same as the Motorola XOOM, the HP one and a load of other Android ones, all of which I imagine will be able to play games smoothly too.

It's not on my short list, and their attempts to make it Android app compatible looks like a bit of punter-confusing desperation to me.
  6. mwgdrwg

I've not seen any videos of those in action, so I couldn't comment upon them.
  7. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

I don't really want a tablet, but if I did then this would be the front runner for me. I don't like the way Apple do things and I'm yet to be convinced by Android 3 - those tablets all seem a bit "me too". HP's webOS won't have any apps. The Playbook OS is by all accounts the dogs; with Android compatibility it could be the best iPad competitor of the lot.
  8. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

Yeah I noticed that too, BB for flash teenagers, iphone for well-off 30somethings.
  9. pinkmonkey

I agree - these wannabee tablets just leave me thinking 'meh' I'm more excited about ebook readers TBH.
  10. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

That looks fucking excellent! Very smooth, and very slick switches between the cards (which are clearly still running too). Very nice.
  11. mwgdrwg

Some consumer enthusiasm! ;)
  12. Kid_Eternity

:D
  13. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

Harry McCracken writes a quick hands-on of the commercial release version of the PlayBook - http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,2066615,00.html Short version (even though it's not a long article): he thinks some bits are great but the software feels unfinished and buggy. I have to say their email "solution" sounds really bizarre.
  14. editor

I'm glad Palm didn't 'do an Apple' here and dredge up yet another law suit, but the interface is completely stolen from their webOS, as that review confirms:

15. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

16. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

It'll bomb though.
  17. Kid_Eternity

Haven't that just issued a recall on a few thousand of these?
  18. editor

If someone was dishing them out free, I'd take one. But I haven't any interest in buying one of these, or an iPad or a HTC Flyer or anything else until the prices of such frivolous but enjoyable gadgets come down to something justifiable.
  19. Kid_Eternity

I wouldn't hold your breath on the prices coming down anytime soon...
  20. editor

That's OK because I'm in no hurry to buy a tablet!
  21. Kid_Eternity

:D
  22. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Yep, but only in the supply line, none went to customers apparently.

The success of the PlayBook probably depends on businesses finding a use for tablets. Tablet's consumption, not creation model is a bit of a problem in this space IMO.

Unless RIM really open it up to the wider Android marketplace I can't see it being particularly successful in the consumer space.
  23. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

This will continue to be my biggest gripe over the size and performance.
  24. editor

It looks like RIM may be dumping the chump.
    http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/29/rim-reportedly-bails-on-playbook-considers-exiting-tablet-market/
  25. Kid_Eternity

Well didn't see that coming, not! Ah well more market share for Microsoft and Amazon then...
  26. pinkmonkey

They're slashing prices in the US too - as low as $299. I saw a playbook for the first time this week and it looked small and crap next to the Samsung tablet in the store.
  27. Kid_Eternity

Another one bites the dust...
  28. paolo

paolo Member You're a Womble

RIM are fucked.

They are the Novell Netware of a new era of phones. Convinced, by their historic success in corporates, that they were unassailable, mistaking momentum for being on the ball.

Their one remaining 'market' that's holding is teenagers and developing countries. It's Nokia all over again. Except that the last two people at the disco - the Finns and Microsoft - have already left.
  29. editor

I wouldn't invest in them, but it's worth noting that Blackberry still hold a bigger share of the smartphone market than Apple in the UK, although that's likely to disappear after the iPhone 4GS/5/whatever gets released.
  30. paolo

paolo Member You're a Womble

It's the relative shares that are telling.

The numbers I last looked at showed a massive gain for Android, and a massive drop for RIM and Nokia. Apple were relatively flat.

My prediction is that Android will continue to grow, Apple will retard slightly, and that RIM and Nokia 'old' platforms will implode. Windows Phone won't get to 10% in two years.