1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons Why Glastonbury Is Shit

Discussion in 'festivals' started by twentythreedom, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

The place is too big when dry. You have to walk and walk and walk or miss acts. Inevitably you have to pick a chill time sooner or later and deciding when is like deciding which of your favourite kittens you have to kill.

When you throw mud into the mix those walk times get even longer and energy draining.

When you throw sun into the mix you get heat drain and sunburn.

Glasto is like an hostile alien planet... with a really cool funpark to play in... whilst things try to wear you down and kill you.

And don't get me started on the toilets. Not flushing is one thing but leaving dead Tories behind!

And its all just toooo long cause they have to start it 2 days early before the event starts proper cause of the sheer bloody numbers. Most of which have to squeeze out all on the same day.

Despite allll that I loved the social side of Glasto and enjoyed some quality music.

Prefer Creamfields though. Less pain for the gain.

2. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

this ought to be compulsory IMO.

3. Shreddy

Shreddy Please. Take some off my cheek.

Beyonce is from Texas. Not quite BBC.

Cheryl Cole being a massive unknown 'nobody-gives-a-fuck' failure in the largest media market on the planet (North America), now that's BBC. :facepalm:

4. B0B2oo9

B0B2oo9 You're all Gay

5. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

curiously prescient...:hmm:

6. marty21

marty21 my gran was in the war with bombs and shit

I enjoyed it when I went in 1986, haven't felt a pressing desire to return - I should have gone more when I was a teenager as I'm from Bath which is only about 20 miles away - but never got around to going then either - the only time i did go, I was living in Swansea

7. marty21

when did that flag stuff start up then - saw loads of them on the telly - I wouldn't schlep around carrying a big fuck off flag for 5 days

8. B0B2oo9

B0B2oo9 You're all Gay

more and more each year, it's fucking selfish.... flags for tents is fine... at the main stage it just makes you a cunt as nobody can see fuck all.

9. marty21

there were very few flags in 86, a few tents had them and they were very helpful, if you were camped near a tent with a distinctive flag - wouldn't help at all now

(((((lost stoned drunk tent seekers)))))

10. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Yeah, sorry about that.

11. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

This x millions.

12. Ivana Nap

Ivana Nap Well-Known Member

They're banned from the main arena at both the Isle of Wight Festival and Bestival - doesn't stop people bringing them in though.

13. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Maybe security should start taking the same approach with flags as they do with 20ft balloons.

14. twentythreedom

twentythreedom a Somali pirate riding a dinosaur, obviously

well, thank God that's over.

15. twentythreedom

Surely the revelation of Tory involvement precludes anyone ever buying a ticket for this shame-fest ever again?

Dudes who paid for their tickets subsidised all them "VIP" cunts. Seriously, wtf? It's almost as bad as seeing SamCam throwing 'shapes' at Unsound.

16. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

It must be heartbreaking seeing all those people enjoying themselves.

17. twentythreedom

That's it, you hit the nail on the head, right there :) What a disgusting bunch of cunts they all are, innit. Associating with Tories etc :(

18. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Have to admit that I did wonder what the fuck that bloke and his entire family were doing there in the VIP area.

19. grit

grit an ugly force for good

Not to be a cunt 23, but thats really what it looks like you have a problem with (people having fun, not the tory thing).

20. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Backstage at glastonbury is not a VIP area. There are many thousands of very unimportant people there too.

21. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

Quite. Totally depends what they mean by 'backstage'. I'm allowed behind the Pyramid stage and I'm the least important person I know :D

22. Onket

Onket Gertcha

That'll teach me to believe what I read in the paper!

I doubt they all paid for tickets, though.

23. paolo

paolo Member You're a Womble

:D

24. paolo

I've just found someone's notes from Michael's Sunday Q&A session. In amongst it...

"10. He was considering retiring in about 5 years. He went on to say that he felt that Emily would continue in the same direction that he followed and that they had many common values with regards to the festival. Emily is however very anti commercial sponsorship, and it was her decision to get rid of the Orange sponsorship – that had cost him £400,000. It was her intention to remove all corporate sponsorship asap."

Sony weren't back this year, and the Q magazine sponsorship terminated as well.

Not that commercial sponsorship has ever been particularly overt - no logos are shown anywhere on site - but Emily's direction on this is definitely a good thing.

I sometimes think she gets it in the neck from some people simply because noone wants to think bad of Michael. The previous bogeyman was Melvyn Benn - who even won over Arabella Churchill in the end.

25. madzone

The Orange sponsorship was pretty overt.

26. paolo

Yes, fair comment.

27. smmudge

smmudge We teach life, sir.

Q weren't there? Does that mean there were no Q dailys (or was that not Q..hmm sure it was..)

28. paolo

No. It became an in-house publication, 'The firelighter'.

29. madzone

How is she going to run it without any corporate sponsorship. Will the ticket prices go up?

30. paolo

I think Orange were the biggest. At £400k divided by 137,500 ticket holders, the 'cost' is marginal. I can't imagine Q or Sony paid anywhere near that.

One possible knock on though was the loss of a stage. The Queens Head 'merged' with Dance West. But given the number of stages, it probably won't be missed.