1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rabo Pro 12 Semi Finals

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Chemster, May 12, 2012.

1. Chemster

Chemster “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”

2. bendeus

bendeus Regions, not Rogions!

I was there. It was one hell of a display of rugby, and just the shot in the arm that the regional game needs at the moment. I've been going to watch the Os for a long time now, and without doubt that was the best all-round display I have seen them put in; from 1-15 they were superlative.

Now I hate fucking Munster with a passion only surpassed by the loathing I reserve for Leicester. To see my team put in such a convincing performance and give Munster a red-raw bumming put a very wide smile on my face. The crowd were right in their faces, nothing was going right for them, and the aura of invulnerability to the rules of the game that they have so assiduously and effectively cultivated appears to have faded. They now get pinged for the same offences that the rest of the rugby playing world do. Saw some real potential on display, particularly Zebo, Keatley and O'Mahoney, but the overall impression was very 'old lion': over the hill, lost their power to terrify, and lost their ability to influence officials. I expected their decline to begin sooner than it did, but it appears to be well underway now, and that's good for the game as a whole ;)

As for the Os, well it was without doubt the most complete team display I have seen put in by a Welsh side since regionalism began. They seemed to have a gameplan, which is novel, and not only that, they seem to believe in and to have bought into it. As a result they are executing beautifully. Very southern hemisphere in a way. They were comfortable without the ball, and backed their defence and their ability to create turnovers and hit on the break. Some of the tries were breathtaking, and from 5 minutes on, and for all their endeavour and possession, Munster had nothing in the locker that could break that team down. I also should add that seeing a Welsh side dominating the lineout against Muhnner and using it as an effective attacking platform was quite memorable.

Special plaudits go to Biggar, who is really maturing into quite a player. His form has been central to the Os' surge over the last month or so, and I'm confident that he'll start pushing The Priest for the 10 spot sooner rather than later. The pack as a whole was phenomenal, but the biggest shouts have to go out to Ryan and Tipuric. The former must be putting something in his tea, because he's carried his 6N lions form right through to the end of the season - an absolute titan with ball in hand and on the deck. It's like watching him when he first came through, but this time he's got more nous. Tips was just sensational. To have uncovered not one but two seemingly world-class opensides as Nugget heads into retirement is just outrageous good fortune. Tips was at the centre of so much that was good about the Os yesterday, producing the turnovers and disruption on the deck that they fed off to put points on the board. Muhnner must have been fucking sick of the sight of that blue scrum cap by the end of the evening.

Anyways, fuck you, Munster. 48-10 and it could and should have been 50+. Hope they're smarting today.

Wouldn't bet against them pulling off a result in Dublin on that kind of form - they're going to cause anyone problems.

Hats off to Tandy - we may just have uncovered a Welsh coach with real ability here :)

3. Chemster

Kudos for attending! The MR2 broke down enroute to work thursday morning and all my rugby money was spent getting a new rotor arm, plugs and leads installed on the fucking thing. Annoyed? Greatly!

Well, Glasgow can consider themselves cheated out of a final place. How the FUCK is an Irish ref allowed to officiate a semi final involving an Irish team at this level of competition? It's a bad fucking joke. Clancy should be relegated to officiating schools rugby after that 'performance.'

4. Chemster

The officiating was abysmal from the first minute to the last, the sin binning of the Glasgow 12 for doing something that he allowed Leinster to do all game was hilarious.

That said, I laughed hardest at the ruck 2 mins from the end of the match;

Leo Cullen dives over the top and grabs the ball, preventing the Glasgow player from releasing it and thus quick ball and a certain try. Clancy looks at this situation and cries "Hands out Blue! Leave it! Leave it Blue!" Two seconds later when Cullen still has his hands all over the ball whilst in no way supporting his own weight, completely disregarding his instructions from the ref, Clancy is heard to cry "That's a maul!" and promptly gives possession to Leinster.... WTF?!

Laughable!

5. bendeus

Clancy is the worst top flight ref ok the circuit at the moment. Even Walsh is more even-handed and consistent than he is.

6. Chemster

He's always been quality, even playing @ Neath Colt's he had class. How he was never capped for Wales i'll never know. Straight talker too, no management speak BS from him and the players know where they stand.

Amazing what a little bit of Neef adds to the Ospreylian mix :D

7. bendeus

Just watched the game again on IPlayer. It confirmed a number of things to me, not least that Ryan is playing out of his skin at the moment. The shift he put in was astonishing both defensively and in attack.

I also particularly enjoyed Onan's spiteful lash out of the boot at an Osprey's player, followed almost immediately by a trip on Biggar, when Tips turned him over for the Dirksen try. He is truly odious. Got booed to fuck by the Osprey's crowd when he came on. He also showed his usual tackling mettle by totally shitting out of a one-on-one on Bishop, which led to his try.

Also thought POM's shoulder drop on Bearman's neck when he had just offloaded was fucking disgraceful. Both he and Onan should hopefully get a call from the citing commissioner this week.

Forgot Tandy was a Neefer sleeper. I guess I can forgive him almost anything if he keeps them playing like that;)

8. flypanam

flypanam 17-7-2

Whose gonna win the title then?

9. bendeus

Os. Leinster have played their big game: eyes slightly of the ball and tired legs. Os Have already beaten Ladyboys in Dublin this season. Is BOD playing, btw?

10. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

Leinster are a significantly better side, but I tend to agree with bendeus that they will be much less motivated. See under last year. The O's will really, really want it.

11. flypanam

flypanam 17-7-2

yeah man.

15: Rob Kearney
    14: Fergus McFadden
    13: Brian O'Driscoll
    12: Gordon D'Arcy
    11: Isa Nacewa
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Eoin Reddan
    1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Sean Cronin
    3: Mike Ross
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Kevin McLaughlin
    7: Shane Jennings
    8: Jamie Heaslip
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Richardt Strauss
    17: Cian Healy/Jack McGrath
    18: Nathan White
    19: Brad Thorn
    20: Dominic Ryan
    21: John Cooney
    22: Ian Madigan
    23: David Kearney

12. bendeus

1-8 I disagree that Leinster are a 'significantly' better side. The only players I'd have from Leinster in the Os pack are Thorn, Healy (who is injured, apparently), and Heaslip. Their backline is better, though. The big difference between the two sides up to now has been the coaching of Cheika/Schmidt vs. the 'coaching' of Lyn the Lip and Dappydoo. Tandy may just be starting to turn things round in that department.

13. bendeus

Healy and SOB big losses for Ladyboys.

14. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

That's an explanation why Leinster are a "significantly better side", not an argument that they are something other than a significantly better side.

Three HECs in four years versus two quarter final appearances. 10 points clear in the league. That's significantly better by any measure. I do agree with you that much of the difference is in the coaching and that the gap is considerably less if you measure the two teams first XV player for player in terms of talent. I also agree with you that the O's are the favourites for this game, for much the same reason Munster won it last year: Desire.

15. bendeus

You're absolutely bang on. My only point was that the Os pack is the equal of, or is better than, that of Leinster, but I appreciate the point you're making. If you'd said 'significantly better 1 through 15' my response would have been more appropriate.

Leinster are the greatest club side in European competition in modern rugby. I don't know if that makes them the best NH side of the modern era, as I don't feel the French sides take the competition as seriously as they do their own domestic league, and I think the imperative to qualify plus the threat of relegation hamstrings the AP sides in a way that the Irish sides don't experience. I've been meaning to post about the varying attitudes to the HEC prevalent across the tier 1 & 2 European nations, and how that attitude could well explain how and why grand slams are won or lost versus HECs being won and lost, but that's for another day.

So anyway, as you were :)

16. Chemster

Im feeling all funny like today, must be the excessive sunshine or summat i've ate. Anyhows im going to put a tenner on the Ospreys to win by 7 points. :D

17. 1927

1927 Community Statesman

Ref is completely out of his depth here. Os being robbed.

18. 1927

1927 Community Statesman

What a game, Shane signs off in style. os beat the best team in Europe in their own backyard despite the referee!

19. flypanam

flypanam 17-7-2

Agreed it was a great game and a good advert for the Rabo12 much better fayre was served up at the RDS than at the Tiggers/Poshos game. Glad to see Shane Williams going out in style.

I don't think you can say that the Ospreys were been robbed by the ref as he did his best to sabotage both sides, according to Leo Cullen Mr P was in no mood to communicate to anyone, his calls were awful even in the first minute at the base of a ruck a ball which was clearly in he called out only to correct himself and call in which beacuse of his call cost you guys a penalty.

His reffing of the scrum was absurd. How this joker is considered international standard is beyond me. If a mad scientist created a hybrid Barnes and Walsh it would still be better than Poite.

Despite him it was refreshing to see two sides going out to play and best side won (how often can we say that!)

20. elfman

elfman 罗斯

Just got around to watching the final on torrent. Awesome game! Better than the Eng Prem final and Heineken cup final.

So glad to see Shane score a couple and Biggar must of put a bit of pressure on Priestland for Wales no.10 after those pressure kicks.

21. bendeus

Os have beaten Munster home and away (plus one in the playoffs), Leinster home and away (twice) and Ulster over both legs this season. That's a pretty impressive record.

Poite was a fucking joke. What's interesting is the fact that Ladyboys fans are just as apoplectic as the Os over his titanic incompetence. That takes special talent and dedication. I would say that the Os came off worse, but that's no surprise against the champions in their backyard. How he shat out of the penalty try and then awarded one against Adam is mystifying.

Anyway, plaudits go again to Tipuric, who is turning into a phenomenal player, Ryan (again) who appears to have got hold of a time machine, AWJ, who is matching his psycho eyes with intense performance, Biggar, who is turning into the cool, intelligent 10 we all suspected he would be, and Beck, who would be my choice at 12 in Oz.

Then a very, extra special, herewegoagain shout to the little wizard. No rugby player has ever entertained me like he has, and I doubt any will again. He was just about peerless in NH rugby. In fact, the only player who can match him was wearing 13 for the oppo, where he put in an characteristically monster performance. Anyway, once more and for the last time; we fucking luvs you, Shane, mun.

22. Chemster

Indeed. I was apoplectic at Poite the Twoite for the end of both halves.

Justin has always been a fantastic player, even in his infancy and junior rugby at Trebanos it was easy to see he was going to be a very special player, a better 7 than Warburton IMHO.

Shane. What a player! Amazing send off. I feel blessed to have been able to witness his rugby career from the Gnoll onwards and upwards. We shall not see his like again for many a long year.

Awesome effort from Ospreylia, can't fault them, winning silverware again, in a rebuilding season with a new coach brought in halfway through the season. Classy!

23. 1927

1927 Community Statesman

Bendy, Os are losing a shit load of players again, but when you see some of the talent we have left and some of the non stars we are still in not bad shape, imho.

There is one player you missed out who I think deserves the plaudits, currently playing the best rugby of his life and would be happy to see him as the Welsh incumbent for years to come, Ian Evans, absolutely immense season from him, and he has come back from some bad years to stamp himself all over second row.

24. bendeus

Them's big words :). Either way, we're very, very lucky to have two players of Warbs/Tips calibre playing in Wales. I'd say our openside factory is working double shifts at present - Sam Lewis also looking like a decent prospect.

Aye. Once in a generation. Again, I feel privileged to have seen him at work.

Have they got any cash to recruit? I guess that losing Bennett and James will shift a bit off the wage bill. I'd say they need someone to challenge Fussell at 15 and someone else to challenge Bishop at 13. Plus the perennial backup for Adam

25. bendeus

Except for Ickle I don't necessarily think that the loss of Bennett and James are too much of a hindrance. Bevington is coming through nicely and is showing real guts in the loose, and with Baldwin showing promise, and the Hibbardotomus on fire (players' player of the year, I believe) I don't think Bennett would have been first or second choice for that much longer anyway. We've got decent cover at lock and in the backrow and at 9 and 10. It's the centres and 15 that really concern me. Fussell is a trier but he isn't HEC standard, IMO. Bishop is one dimensional, and i'm unconvinced about who we have to cover the centres. Dirksen is fucking class, IMO, and more than adequate replacement for Bowe. Not too sure about what people think about the likes of Eli Walker as a wing replacement. Chemster?

26. 1927

1927 Community Statesman

To be fair to Fussy I thought he played well on sunday.

27. Chemster

Do they need to recruit big names over and above the ones they already have? Just develop more young, Welsh players. The Ospreylian system of A, B & C squads has produced the most Welsh internationals of all the four clubs since 03 and has made the Ospreys the top Welsh side in terms of silverware. If it ain't broke... :D

[​IMG]

28. Chemster

Watermeyer could come good in the centre, he's looked handy in the LV and when he turned out for the Jacks. As for Walker im sitting on the fence, he needs more game time, from what i've seen of him my guess is that he'll be regional quality eventually but will take some work to get there. We could do with a southern hemisphere back three player who can cover the gaps and not be called up for International duty.

29. 1927

1927 Community Statesman

Watermeyer played for the Jacks!!! I dont think so.

30. Chemster