1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about android stuff

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by ShiftyBagLady, Jul 29, 2012.

1. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady willy nilly

Is there anything available on the android app market like the iCloud which enables you to type something on your tablet and then work on it later on your laptop? What kind of notetaking and word processing apps are available for the android things?

I ask because I have been offered a Tabtronics tablet for free (which looks pretty shit to me but what do I know) and told that I would be able to use it to read kindle books from which is better than an ibooks because a) there are more books available on kindle and b) they are cheaper. Is that true?
    Also, if I wanted to scan books (for my own personal use) and read them on an android thing then how would I go about it. Or on an iPad for that matter, how would I go about that?

I think it would be easier to get an apple laptop because it seems easier but I was swayed by arguments this evening that android is just as easy and cheaper. Also swayed by a free gadget tbh. Even though I already have a gadget :facepalm:
  2. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Google Docs, you don't even need android.
  3. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Evernote
  4. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady willy nilly

Ah, google docs. I hadn't even heard of that.

Evernote is good for something's but writings essays? :hmm:
  5. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Dropbox with a word like app?
  6. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

I use this:

http://www.wirefresh.com/the-perfec...-combo-flick-note-simplenote-and-resophnotes/
  7. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

Your iPad can access a free kindle app.

Fwiw.

E2a: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/kindle/id302584613?mt=8

For sheer "it just bloody well works without any fucking around" value, I'd go with Apple. I've had some utter messes with Android & Windows, mind, and nowt but joy with OS / iOS.
  8. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

You can read Kindle books (as well as ones from iBooks) on any iDevice as well, so it's not specifically a reason to use something else. There are more books on the Kindle store I think... the prices vary, but they're about the same IME (i.e. too much usually) varying maybe by a quid or two.
    If you scan them as a PDF you can just import that into any reader. I think you'd find that scanning a whole book would be a massive pain in the arse though. If I wanted to get a book I owned onto my iWotsit I would torrent a copy that somebody else had already made.[/quote]
  9. newharper

newharper Manxome Tove

Is it possible to get an app that enables one to play music tracks that aren't mp3. All my music is in either WMA or FlAC neither of which seem to play.
    I converted 1 album to mp3 and it played fine but I'd rather not have to do that for everything.
  10. hiccup

hiccup King of the Vagabonds

I think poweramp plays flac and wma.

Edit:: yes, it does: http://m.lifehacker.com/5805924/the-best-music-player-application-for-android

It's not free, and but not expensive either
  11. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Poweramp should play both those formats. It'll cost you £3.25 but you can get the trial version to make sure it does what you need first.
  12. newharper

newharper Manxome Tove

Thanks. I don't have the money for most stuff but that would be cheap at the price.
    Cheers
  13. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Just to let you know Google's free Play Music app seemed to play a FLAC for me earlier, but I think this may depend on the device you have and which android version as to whether you have this app and whether it can play FLAC, not really sure.
  14. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

Yeah poweramp does FLAC. :)

You should burn all WMA files mind.
  15. newharper

newharper Manxome Tove

Oh I agree, but my mate who is a true audiophle, kept giving me all the missing bits from my collection. DVD after DVD. Once I told him about FLAC no sweat.
    This is a guy who'll spend £750 on a stylus.
    I wish; but his recordings from the original vinyl are unsurpassed.
    Once every 6 weeks or so we go out his barn and listen to his original version of Who live at Leeds. Vinyl, crackle free.

/digression
  16. newharper

newharper Manxome Tove

Thanks I'll check it out.