1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quadrophenia: Can You See the Real Me? documentary

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Jun 30, 2012.

1. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

Loved the documentary about Quadrophenia last night.
    It's such a fucking ace album.

2. editor

3. Voley

Voley And a rovin' a rovin' a rovin' I'll go ...

Missed this, will watch tonight, ta.

4. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

Watching the film afterwards and discovered that i could still recite chunks of the script despite having last watched it over 20 years ago :oops: The documentary is excellent.

5. Voley

There's loads of strong contenders but 5.15 is still my favourite song of theirs.

6. editor

Cut My Hair is right up there for me. Rarely has a song captured teen (and adult!) angst better!

7. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

I've recorded the documentary for later consumption.

Whenever I am in Brighton with people who don't know it, I am oft inclined to show them 'the alley' :D

brogdale, Kaka Tim, albionism and 4 others like this.
  8. Voley

I'm having a listen to it right now. I've always liked the way bits of 'Love Reign O'er Me' keep popping up throughout the whole thing. Sometimes that stroky-chin concept album 'let's return to the theme' thing works but you've got to be really fucking good to pull it off without looking totally stupid.

ice-is-forming likes this.
  9. xenon

xenon SomeKackAboutTheUniverse

Definitely watching this on Iplayer later. Love both the album and film.

10. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

Was good. Would've liked more from Daltrey about the early 60s mod scene, seeing as he was the only 'proper' mod amongst them I think. Particularly liked the 72/73 concert footage - Moon off his face on brandy + mandrax :eek: Still waiting for a making of the film doc though (or is there one and I've missed it?); suspect there're some ace stories to be told. The interviews with the photographer were good, though whatever happened to the 'model' who played Jimmy I wonder?

11. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

i watched the movie last night...saw it first years ago...didnt remember the depressing climax :(

12. High Voltage

High Voltage Save yourself. Kill them all.

Died in 2011 - the programme was dedicated / in memory of him

13. Sweet FA

14. High Voltage

No sorry. he's not dead according to Wiki

but the programme ended with an in memory of - Arrrrgggghhhh!!!! - back onto iPlayer

15. High Voltage

Dammit

Mod kid played by Chad [Terry Kennett. He was a 23-year old paint sprayer from Battersea discovered by Pete in The Butcher's Arms pub near Ramport Studios].

he did die sorry

16. Sweet FA

Jesus, this is a roller-coaster of emotion.

quimcunx and Voley like this.
  17. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

I've never felt such a connection to any character in any film as I do to Jimmy in Quadrophenia.

Not sure that's such a good thing.

18. High Voltage

Or did he???

he did

19. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Great album. Not a bad doc. Got better towards the end when they showed the strain of touring etc.

I don't need Mark Kermode explaining the story ffs......that was about 10 minutes wasted.

Reminded me how sad and alone I felt as a teen and how that album supported my developing sense of defiance.

The mod sections, like punk docs, is lots of embellishment and hindsight re-creating a untrue history.

I'm not sure anyone at the centre of a scene as it happens really understands it, and certainly doesn't intellectualise it or sense a place in history. It is as it is at the time which is why it's exciting.

A brilliant record and the band at their very best. It was all down hill after that.

20. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

Riding a Lambretta SX200 was such fun at the time and modernist in the face of reaction. Usually the old bill, who would pull you and "greasers" of course, whose reaction was usually violence.

Mephitic likes this.
  21. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming life goes on...

one of my desert island dvds:cool:

22. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

In the end all Jimmy wanted was to be loved.

Voley likes this.
  23. Voley

That's how to do an epic. Such a fucking good song. :cool:

24. xenon

xenon SomeKackAboutTheUniverse

My dad and uncle lived in Batasy, used to drink in the Butcher's Arms, 60's / early 70's...

Just watched this. Think it's my favourite album of their's actually. I like the contrast with the energetic riffs, vocals, and Moon's drumming of course and the melodic ambience. Now playing the album whilst I restring my guitar.
    :cool:

25. rover07

rover07 has a shining car.

So Mods are the equivalent of modern day hipsters. :D

26. editor

Mods were working class.

27. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

Bettye LeaVette's version of Love Reign O'er Me

28. friedaweed

friedaweed Got myself a gunnNNN

More like the original chavlars ;)

29. Voley

Great documentary- really enjoyed that. The bit of Keith Moon being carried off stage was :eek:
    BBC4's great for stuff like this, easily my favourite channel.

30. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

They only touched very briefly on Townshend's ability to identify with youth angst, reckon they could get a whole docomentary out of it. Having not seen it for 20 odd years it still stood up well, and I can definitely see the influence it had on my rebellious teenage years.

As a Sussex lad I always identified very strongly with the brighton connection, and as some of my mates were mods we spent many an hour tracing the steps of the film through the North Laine, checking the graffitit in 'Jimmy's Alley', as it was known etc. Shame that when my parents were in Brighton on May Day '64 they were in a Mini trying to escape the trouble, not that I would have wanted them to be particuarly violent, just part of an interesting scene.

I didn't really get that Jimmy was supposed to have mental health problems as a nipper and tbh Townshend is a little confused about it - you can't reallt be schizophrenic and bi-polar, it doesn't work like that. I always just assumed he was a messed up kid lik everyone else with the added random loon factor of drugs fuelling his more 'challenging' behaviour.