1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pussy Riot

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Anudder Oik, Jul 29, 2012.

1. LLETSA

LLETSA We've all had enough. Banned Banned

Probably. It's said that Putin's always been a bit scared of Jarvis Cocker.
    cesare, tar1984, spikey_r and 6 others like this.
  2. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I suppose it would be wrong to wish for solidarity copycats in places of worship around the globe, wouldn't it?
  3. Captain Hurrah

Captain Hurrah STALINIST Banned

Not wrong. Their stunt was just shit.
  4. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

who cares, jumping around a cathedral with bags on their heads is their thing, not mine, but the sheer effrontery deserves respect as much as it does the inevitable condemnation from those who support church and state and had their equilibrium disturbed. What it doesn't deserve, quite plainly, is jail.
    Random likes this.
  5. Captain Hurrah

Re jail, state the obvious.

And the sheer effrontery? The pretend taking offence at their lame performance is interesting, I admit.
  6. Anudder Oik

Anudder Oik Well-Known Member

So, would you say that you have ever sent a stonger message, gotten a heavier reaction or attained a higher degree of political consequence by any of your own political actions, by, for example, going on dozens of marches, waving a placard or shouting in the street? Or could it be said that their "Shit" action has actually outdone anything you could put up as an example?
    It's hardly shit if you understand the context and their choice of where it was done. It was not just some tea sipping local church in Surrey.
  7. Captain Hurrah

And you have experience of political activity in Russia? It wouldn't be a good idea to transpose your own caricature of what constitutes oppositional political activity in this country (not a lefty anyway and have never done anything you talk about). I also wouldn't substitute doing crap stunts for it either. Without doing any hasty googling, name any trade unionists in Russia currently doing hard time. I bet you can't.
  8. Anudder Oik

They are in the same boat as other political prisoners in russia. They are being tortured and are facing a lengthy term in jail.

They are part of the same struggle against tyranny.

Do you think they are different because their form of protest was "shit" in your opinion?
  9. Captain Hurrah

You haven't read my other posts then, have you.

So, can you name any? Being dead political and on the ball, and that.
  10. Anudder Oik

Yes I have and I noticed you've used the words lame and shit to describe their actions. I've taken you up on it. Can you justify yourself or explain why you have said that and maybe what form of protest, in your view, would not be lame or shit?
  11. Captain Hurrah

Thinking their stunt was shit (which it was) does not ipso facto mean support for the government. They should be released immediately. And the context of you scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours, has opened the church up to ridicule, even from believers unhappy with the government, before Pussy Riot came along.

The church has been condemned by several of its members for its toadying, in return for material and political privileges. They have also condemned, as being un-Christian, the church's current urging the government to throw the book at the Pussy Riot members currently facing trial.

This case highlights the authoritarian reality of Putin's Russia. I doubt Pussy Riot had foreseen their consequent harsh treatment after doing their 'provocative' performance, although were probably expecting to be arrested. But it isn't unprecedented. In answer to your question, I do think they are different because I think they are harmless, but I also think they are being treated terribly. But then, so are many others, who never see the light of day in the mainstream media or inspire letter writing from past-it rock stars. People also doing 'politics' in Russia. But more than simply being symbolic, probably much more boring, although no less dangerous.

Attractive young women dressed up in colourful clothes and showing off in public catches people's attention, but, say, the BBC aint going to cover the plight of a trade union leader fucked over because of business and police collusion in framing him with drug possession and then sentenced to 6 years in jail.
  12. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

They have already been in prison since Feb. I would have thought that might be punishment enough.
    malatesta32 likes this.
  13. Gmart

Gmart Well-Known Member

14. 8115

8115 doesn't smoke

This is bullshit. I hope they get off.
  15. camouflage

camouflage that's right, space pirate.

I for one, love the name.
  16. framed

framed Leave it!

17. daveshorty

daveshorty New Member

The company I work for are doing fundraising shirts and stuff, all profits going to the freepussyriot.org fund.

<snip> More discussion less spam - mango5
  18. Captain Hurrah

Bollocks. You're cashing in.
  19. daveshorty

daveshorty New Member

Is that right? Oh I see. Good thing you're on the case!
    Jesus...
  20. Captain Hurrah

21. daveshorty

daveshorty New Member

So it's spam because you're a cynical tit who's just decided we're being dishonest? Don't be a wanker
  22. Captain Hurrah

It's not that I'm a 'cynical tit,' it is fucking spam.
    Pickman's model likes this.
  23. claphamboy

claphamboy The wheels on the bus go round and round....

Smells like spam to me.

I bet permission wasn't asked to post such an advert, as per the FAQs.

Anyway, post reported, time will tell.
  24. daveshorty

daveshorty New Member

Huh? I had no idea there had to be prior permission for a link. Whatever - it's a fundraising shirt - ALL profits going to them. If you want to help out, feel free. If you want to ignore or report, feel free.
  25. claphamboy

claphamboy The wheels on the bus go round and round....

Well if you had read the Terms & Rules under the FAQs link you would have known.

Don't want to be funny, but this place is funded by donations & subscriptions from the members, when I newbie just arrives to post a free advert without permission, a dim view is taken.
  26. QuickHitCurepon

QuickHitCurepon banned Banned

rolling on the grass laughing
  27. QuickHitCurepon

Political or cult activity in Russia doesn't mean much. There's another Russian cult in the news today, but it doesn't really apply to cults or groups in the USA. I spent 5 years in one of the biggest cults here and don't even bother to read about Russian ones.
  28. Captain Hurrah

Don't see what that has to do with what I posted.
  29. QuickHitCurepon

People today join groups willy nilly and do things like this. It's like we're experiencing a new Roaring Twenties.
  30. Captain Hurrah

Still don't see what 'cults' have got to do with progressive, pro-working class politics in Russia. Or Pussy Riot.