1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protesting the Olympics?

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by biggus dickus, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter champions, from a wonderful town

:facepalm:

maybe we should just go the whole hog and declare martial law and suspend all rights and freedoms for the duration of the olympics?
  2. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

Except this doesn't actually take away anyone's rights and freedoms. It's just a yuppie who lives in a gated community moaning that he's going to have some soldiers on the roof.
  3. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I hope they're selective. Disrupt the Marathon by all means, but if someone fucks up either of the Brownlees in the Triathlon or Team GB in the road race, sympathy among the general population will be very, very short.
  4. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

We had some sort of anti aircraft missile setup here too. But with modern technology, they didn't need to perch it on the rooftops. It was miles away, out in the woods. What with radar etc, they can still shoot something down in a matter of seconds, even if the launch site is 20 miles from the encroaching aircraft.
  5. London_Calling

C'mon, the aircraft missile thing is the same as the old chestnut of having a tank photographed at Heathrow every time there's a terrah! attack on London: (a) it's a photo op (b) it's supposed to reassure the numpty public.
  6. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

Hvm is a short ranged missile the last hope basically .
    Uk doesnt have any theatre ranged missiles and although theres a t45 in the thames.
    The yanks are demanding land based sams for some reason.
    A much better version of having some bored squaddies baiting a yuppie (because you know totally they are going to)
    Rather than a cletus and a patriot battery taking out an easyjet by mistake.
  7. biggus dickus

biggus dickus what a dork! Banned

The SAM thing seems so ridiculous to me, makes no sense at all, who are they expecting to attack in a fleet of planes?
  8. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

to be honest, if any terrorist group wants to attack the olympics i can't give them eough support.
  9. Johnny Canuck3

That's the kind of thing that gets you on a watch list. :(
  10. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

All the more reason to say stuff like that.

If they want to put peaceful democratic people on watch-lists for saying things critical of the neo-liberal ideological consensus, then the more people who fuck with their heads the better.

Fuck their secret police spying on citizens.

Fuck people who think it's reasonable to be scared of that shite.
  11. biggus dickus

biggus dickus what a dork! Banned

It doesn't fuck with their heads though, it gives them someone to make an example of
  12. Bernie Gunther

For all I know you're one of them, and on that assumption, I say this to you.

For democracy to work, people have to be willing to refuse to be scared by the secret police. (It helps also if they have someone to vote for who represents their interests, but hey, perfection only happens in heaven)
  13. likesfish

Being paranoid is probably a an essential part of planning security.
    remember you've got the americans breathing down your neck and the israelis not to mention the rest of the planet.
  14. Johnny Canuck3

We live in a world where habeas corpus can be suspended, where indeterminate detention happens, where extraordinary rendition happens. I don't know if it's reasonable to be scared; but I think some people are scared.
  15. likesfish

We also live in a world where 3000 people were killed in New york in a single terrorist attack.
    Thats every single death in the troubles in one attack.
    batshit islamic deathcult is out there trying to up the ante after that one ( a weakness much harded to pull off a spectacular but if they get lucky :()
    A certain level of paranoia is justifable
  16. Bernie Gunther

Well look. I think it's reasonable to expect people not to do the equivalent of shouting 'fire' in a cinema. Prank bomb warnings and other irresponsible shit cause obvious social harm and certainly should be strongly discouraged.

What I'm talking about though is the expectation that you "go on a list" via some sort of democratically unaccountable secret police surveillance of places like Urban and suffer harassment and/or discrimination, for obviously harmless humour about official paranoia or otherwise taking this piss out of the government or ruling ideology.

Authoritarian types being the way they are psychologically, they may have trouble telling these two quite distinct scenarios apart; may have serious trouble distinguishing between a plausible threat of harm to society and any failure to 'respect their authoritay.'

So we as citizens need to help them with their psychological problem, in order to prevent it becoming a problem for society, by being very clear about the distinction ourselves and standing up for our right to commit political satire, sarcasm and mockery.
    El Jugador likes this.
  17. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

yes, the butthurt over that has been long, loud and lethal for fallujah residents in particular
  18. likesfish

And others and likely to continue :(
    Still doesnt take away from the fact nutjobs are out there intent on mayhem:(
    Even if we ignore the islamic nutjobs we now have there idiot cousins brevik and his like minded followers that may not exsist.
    But a pipebomb doesnt need sanity to kill :(
  19. gunneradt

gunneradt Banned Banned

what a ridiculous thing to say
  20. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member Enforced Holiday Banned

They don't need SAMs to keep any high-flying terrorists out, they'll need ground re-enforcements against us pissed off Newhamites!
    StraightOuttaQ likes this.
  21. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

I await the shooting down of an aircraft belonging to the Newham model aircraft club.
    stethoscope likes this.
  22. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member Enforced Holiday Banned

Attacking from the skies over Wanstead Flats!
  23. StraightOuttaQ

StraightOuttaQ Banned Banned

Working on the assumption that no one would be able to succeed in getting control of a commercial flight, that leaves private or charter flights, presumably a flight chartered by someone from a South Eastern Airfield. Once private / charter plane is airborne,then they either take control either as the pilot or a passenger who hijacks their own plane to deviate from flight plan). They may or may not have a private license. Once in the air and they have control of the aircraft, flying under 250 feet to avoid radar at high speed, they may attempt to parking themselves into the stadium at speeds of 300mph or so, with a rapid deceleration to zero within five feet of concrete. If were planning a plane based attack, my deductive powers tell me that this would be the method with the highest chance of success. That said, it still would be extremely unlikely to succeed IMHO.

TBH, any potential attack would be more likely to succeed if they attempted a replay of 7/7 to disrupt ground level public transport infrastructure.

How likely is any of this to actually happen? Well, Tom Clancy's lawyers have already told me off. Something about "Rainbow Six:London" or something. meh.
  24. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

No, you're talking bollocks now.

The phrase was "affordable rent" which has a legal meaning now - Communities Act?

It's up to 80 per cent of private sector rents in the area.

What that means is open to many questions, especially in an area like Newham with a preponderance of social housing and a few yuppie enclaves and rip-off private landlords, both over-priced.

Hackney and Tower Hamlets have set the "affordable rent" level near the maximum payable by Housing Benefit. Don't know about Newham.

So-called "affordable rent" is designed to take over from social housing.

Social landlords are very, very strongly discouraged from creating new housing at social rents, regulated by the Tenant Services Authority. Any new units must be let at so-called "affordable rent".
  25. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Anyway, so, these missiles...

Betting they back off from the match factory and they end up on my roof?

And, yes, taking something out by mistake seems to be the point. Trouble is, we don't get any EasyJet round here.

Loads of businesscreatures coming into London City, though... and, er, yes, those planes are ducking under the main Heathrow inbound flightpath.
  26. likesfish

who ever is planning the secuirty has the worlds most paranoid and richest countries bending his ear with demands/suggestions reguardless of pracitcality .

I'm suprised the yanks havent demanded to park the nimitz in the thames
  27. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

They have to keep something in reserve for the last minute "look how serious we is!" announcement.

Let's see, though:

USS Nimitz draught:

Dredging currently under way:

but not as far as Tilbury, only to Stanford-le-Hope.

Bet it gets stuck :)
  28. London_Calling

I was talking to ymu, who talked only in terms of her choice of phrase "affordable housing" :hmm:
  29. 2hats

2hats these hands were made for making

Free Tax payer funded airshow over London leading up to and over the bank holiday weekend, including low level and evening sorties by Typhoons on 5th May.

PS Large (80+ aircraft) flypast planned for Windsor on the morning of 19th May (aircraft assembling from the south-southwest and departing to the north and northwest) for the diamond jubilee. The aircraft are rehearsing on the mornings of 15/16th May off the NW coast of Wales.
  30. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Typhoon at 500 feet in the evening of the 5th :eek:

They almost always go the other way... in up from the North Sea. Why?