1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protesting the Olympics?

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by biggus dickus, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Corax

Corax This will change your life: http://bit.ly/19lPFRa

For or against them?
  2. SpineyNorman

SpineyNorman WAWAW?

You're actually masturbating while you're posting that aren't you? And calling me big boy too. Please stop, it's making me uncomfortable.

I probably won't protest since I'm a long way away from the games and there are more effective things I can do with the time I have spare. But if I do it won't be with the intention of bringing your wank fantasies to life.
  3. gunneradt

gunneradt Banned Banned

don't flatter yourself

Im genuinely looking forward to protesters getting their collars felt- makes for great TV
  4. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

yep, highlight the cause. Cmrd Gunner, and here was I thinking you an asocial wanker with a pale band where the wedding ring used to be and a tenuous grip on reality. Turns out you are well behind high profile televised disruptions. No pasaran mate, no pasaran
  5. phildwyer

phildwyer Gorau arf arf dysg

It seems to be working in Bahrain.
  6. SpineyNorman

SpineyNorman WAWAW?

I fail to see how receiving sexual attention from your perverted mind could flatter anyone.

Oh, and what DC said.
  7. gunneradt

gunneradt Banned Banned

yep - one down as they say
  8. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

if there was a cause that is popular and relevant then go for it.
    paralympics and astos fair enough.
    just random shit not so much
  9. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

So other things with relevance to the olympics:

Sweatshop Labour stuff - Adidas have issues with this
    Worker conditions in mines - Rio Tinto are a partner and supply the metal for the medals - there is some serious crap around their mines and environmental issues as well as worker condition etc. stuff that I could probably find some links for if I could be bothered :)
    Obesity & Health, general food issues - McDonalds & Coca-Cola

pretty sure some of the other big sponsors / partners have dodgy stuff around them, I mean they are all major corporations so they are bound to ..

Slightly more of a stretch to links cuts/austerity due to the amount that's being spent on the olympics, or housing issues because the althetes village housing isn't going to be affordable for residents of the boroughs it's being built in iirc, but not exactly unconnected either.

But I agree that the best protest would be something that links with the olympics, rather than simply using the olympics as a way to get more coverage.
    ymu likes this.
  10. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

I think the fact that the athletes village has been built at our expense and will be sold off to the rich instead of used for affordable housing is a fucking huge deal, no?

It's not the fact of the Olympics, it is how it has been used to line pockets with little direct benefit, and often huge detriment, to the people who have been worst affected by it.
    Frances Lengel and BigTom like this.
  11. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Last I read 50% of the Olympic housing development were affordable housing?
  12. ymu

They keep saying stuff like that, but it looks like a fudge. It's been sold off to private developers, along with extra plots to develop in the future. The 50% seems to be based on the just under half of the existing units bought by Triathlon Homes 'for affordable housing':

But only 675 (just under half) of those bought by Triathlon will be let out at affordable rents:
    So, there's something like 4,800+ new homes in total (of which 2818 currently exist), 675 of which will be let out at 'affordable rents', with affordable being defined as ... ?

It looks like the true figure is ~15% at best, and that's without digging into any of the other figures/claims flung out by the PR machine.
  13. London_Calling

Not interested in the extra lots as that isn't part of any claim, including the 50% claim. And they haven't been build for the Games as they're not built at all yet.

On that basis, it seems 50% remain affordable, with just under 25% social housing.

I presume the rest go to key workers?
  14. ymu

Do we have confirmation that the non-social housing will be affordable? They're usually used as synonyms, aren't they?

And regardless of those numbers (important as they are), why is something built at taxpayer expense being sold off for a private company to profit from? That's our money, and it should stay in our pockets.
    BigTom likes this.
  15. London_Calling

Hang on, you're the one making the claims. I'm saying if you have evidence/links to back up your assertions (like the ones quoted below), it would lend them credibility.
    We're told 50% - is that incorrect?
  16. ymu

I gave you the links and my analysis of the data.

If you're claiming that "social housing" and "affordable housing" have different meanings, and that all of the Triathlon Homes will be affordable, it is up to you to provide the evidence. There's no mention of any such thing in the links I provided.

The 50% appears to be a fudge, to fool the easily fooled. It's 25% of existing units and <15% of the planned total. If you haven't, in fact, been fooled, show how the 50% claim is true wrt to existing units.
  17. London_Calling

You're talking complete bollocks again.

Affordable housing is... affordable housing, of which social housing (I presume you mean for rent) is one aspect.
  18. ymu

Different figures again from the Indy. They're claiming 8000 additional homes on the extra plots, and 91 existing units being sold under shared-ownership schemes (which could just about squeeze into the 'affordable housing' definition, but all reports state that most units will be rented, not sold).

Trying to find an article which addresses this from a social justice pov instead of all this 'great investment opportunity' crap.
  19. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

well we should probably try to squat the athletes village then, lol.. can you imagine how heavy the bailiffs would be?
    ymu likes this.
  20. ymu

Highlighting the issues can be done from outside, and possibly by some spectators who don't mind losing their spectator rights. Getting some athletes to use the opportunity from the inside would be ace. Banners they can hang from their windows in the village (after they've finished competing, given than it is such a huge risk they would take to make any kind of statement)?
    BigTom likes this.
  21. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Squatting the athletes village would be perfect though, except for the many broken bones you'd get. The news value of it would be immense, and would easily highlight the issue of building homes that the residents can't afford.
    I just think that you'd get badly beaten for even trying to do it, and probably it's going to be heavily fenced off and lots of security until the athletes turn up so you'd not have a chance to get into the houses.
    Little point in doing it after they've left - would still be a good demo but wouldn't make international news, maybe not even national news.

But yeah, getting athletes involved would be great - there must be some GB athletes from around that area of London who'd understand the issue.
    ymu likes this.
  22. ymu

I would think the route to find them (in the absence of serendipitous urban friendships) would be: disability rights activists -> paralympians -> team GB
    BigTom likes this.
  23. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

rio tinto advertising in the metro made me go :hmm:
  24. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

John Carlos is speaking in London as a guest of the RMT on Monday 21 May, 6pm at Friends House, Euston Road, Euston

John Carlos - Resistance: The best Olympic spirit
    BigTom and ymu like this.
  25. ymu

How to publicise that to team GB?

Twitter might find some I guess? Are the RMT on the case?
  26. El Jugador

El Jugador will leave bed for food

Symbolic gestures of an anti-cuts theme
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  27. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter marquistador

There's a journo who lives in a tower block next to the Olympic site who received a letter from the MoD today saying they are going to put a missile-firing equipment on his roof for two months during the Olympics. I shit you not.

[​IMG]

More here on his timeline: https://twitter.com/#!/brianwhelanhack

If that's not worth protesting about, I dunno what is. I reckon this'll become a bit of a story....
    ddraig likes this.
  28. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

I'm assuming they may be worried someone may think it's a good idea to fly a plane into it?
  29. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter marquistador

Yeah so let's shoot it down right over a heavily populated area of London :facepalm:

It's military cock waving, and a piss take of the highest order. Even funnier, the tower was recently struck by lightening and has been closed because of falling debris!

Article here: http://www.latentexistence.me.uk/missiles-over-london-a-new-olympic-event/

I really thought this was a joke when I first heard, but it doesn't appear so...
  30. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

Well I'm guessing they are absolute last resort rather then the first line of defence.

Whilst the consequences of shooting down an aircraft over somewhere as densely populated would be pretty horrific, I hazard a guess it would be no where near as horrific as a plane hitting a crowded olympic stadium.