1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protesting the Olympics?

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by biggus dickus, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Turned out nice again

i don't see why they should when they paid to see a bunch of grandstanding twats already
  2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

Was going to post this outrage on Teuchters 'Americanisms' thread but I don't want to give the dull cunt validation.
    Belushi and Corax like this.
  3. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

I wasn't trying to be witty. But thanks for the compliment anyway.
  4. Pickman's model

It wasn't a compliment, I was saying you are stupid: a belief your reply has reinforced
  5. scifisam

I'm devastated.
  6. Pickman's model

Maybe you are. But you're still daft.
  7. scifisam

Yes. I was totally serious when I said I was devastated.
  8. Pickman's model

Oh dear
  9. Corax

Corax This will change your life: http://bit.ly/19lPFRa

I'm daft.
  10. Pickman's model

Yes it's common knowledge
  11. Corax

What is? :confused:
  12. Pickman's model

That you're stupid
  13. Corax

Who's what now? :confused:
  14. Pickman's model

It's another example of when you should have left everyone thinking you thick instead of posting and proving you are
  15. Corax

Who should? :confused:
  16. biggus dickus

biggus dickus what a dork! Banned

How did you get that?

I would say that their lives and aspirations trump those of protest groups since it's more difficult to get to the Olympics than go on a demo and most athletes usually only have one or two chances in their lives to compete in the Olympics
  17. SpineyNorman

SpineyNorman WAWAW?

It's called logic biggus. What do you think the protestors might be demonstrating about? It's not principled opposition to hurdles or the inherent sexism of the high jump is it?

Shows how out of touch with reality you are though. Why would you think that the lives and aspirations of protestors are defined by their organising of demonstrations? There's many things people only get one opportunity at, and if things continue as they are that may reduce to zero. Things that are a lot more important than trying to get to the other end of a track faster than someone else.
  18. biggus dickus

How would you feel if there was a demonstration against the 'Islamification' of the UK?
  19. SpineyNorman

SpineyNorman WAWAW?

What? There are such protests. I think they're fucking stupid.

Now can you explain the relevance, then actually address my post rather than farting out irrelevant bollocks?
  20. biggus dickus

Not if you're going to be so rude

I was just interested in people's opinions since it seemed like quite an interesting subject for discussion but I really can't be bothered with a discussion involving so many personal insults, if I wanted mindless abuse I could just go to one of those bbs for teenagers
  21. Corax

Who should what? :confused:
  22. SpineyNorman

SpineyNorman WAWAW?

Call me a cynic but given your form, including posts on this thread, I find that difficult to believe.
  23. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti vole-primping badman

I'm not against people doing athletics. I'm against the anti-democratic feel of how the whole thing has been run from the start. Cost overruns, my having no real say in the matter, people's rights being suppressed for the benefit of sponsors, that kind of shit.
    SpineyNorman likes this.
  24. AKA pseudonym

AKA pseudonym Well-Known Member

Reason 1
    The homeless community will suffer more harrasment.....

please add further reasons as you see fit....
    ymu likes this.
  25. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Reason 2
    The involvement of ATOS with the paralympics
    ymu likes this.
  26. biggus dickus

I meant protesting at the actual event. Like I put in my first post, there are so many things that are wrong with the London Olympics and the Olympics in general, I was just wondering what people thought about trying to disrupt the actual events themselves?

I kind of think that it would be better to let the sports be the focus of the event. For the sake of the sports themselves and also because you run the risk of looking like a bunch of dicks trying to hijack it. And also there is the risk that people who may be sympathetic in the right context will be annoyed by having to watch protests while they are waiting for the running to start etc

These are just my thoughts, I'm not really 100% either way to be honest (although I 100% won't be going to any stupid fucking Olympics or stupid fucking protests, but I will watch some of the events on TV despite knowing how corrupt the whole thing is
    Maggot likes this.
  27. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

protest only at convenient times and places
  28. Corax

I'm going to persistently use the words 'twenty-twelve', 'London', and '2012' without paying the appropriate licensing fee.
  29. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

Are there any symbolic gestures that would work on an anti-cuts theme, and any athletes likely to be up for it?

[​IMG]
  30. biggus dickus

Oh and also like people pointed out on the first page, if you did try to start a protest the police would drag you off really quickly so it would be a scuffle rather than a demo