1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prostitution on/near Josephine Ave.

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Manmasi, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Manmasi

Manmasi New Member

I've lived on one of the roads off of Josephine for 2 and a half years now and recently I've noticed a marked increase in prostitutes hanging around the Brixton Hill end of the road, some laughably outside the job centre. Why don't the police do something about this problem when they are so obvious? Anyone else have any views about this?

2. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Banned

there's always been a fair number of prostitution on Brixton Hill, well at least since i first lived round there 15 years ago, but the numbers seem to fluctuate.

3. Manmasi

Manmasi New Member

You're right they've always been here, but recently there's a lot, I guess they will always be somewhere and I don't want to come accross as all 'well as long as it's not in my yard' but to be honest I find them intimidating.

4. Clive Spate

Clive Spate New Member

Prostitutes in Josephine Avenue

Hello, and my first post after much browsing!

I live in the same area and also noticed the same. The last time I wrote to the Brixton Chief Supt about the problem I was told that in the last 2 years the local vice unit had increased in size to one Sergeant and 4 PC's. This was from from 2002 when there had only been one Sergeant and one PC. Also that because most were working on the hill to fund their drug use in 2003 the government had set up a diversion scheme for the women at Camberwell Court which gave them access to health and support groups when appearing as opposed to prosecuting them for prostituting themselves. Whether this worked or not I suppose is down to the number still visible in Josephine Avenue!

But hey, if they want to get rid of the problem why not give each the flavour of the month ASBO and put the lot in prison...out of sight, out of mind. :rolleyes:

5. memespring

memespring Well-Known Member

I'm going to stick that in wikipedia as the definition of an ASBO.

6. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

What do you suggest: rubber bullets?

7. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Last week I was in an interior city. It was fairly cold: about -12 at night. There were young native indian prostitutes in miniskirts and bare legs, or jeans and shortie tops with their bellies exposed.

Struck me as being a pretty demanding job. I was wearing a big coat and gloves.

8. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

That sounds like the girls of Newcastle.

9. OriginalSinner

OriginalSinner Banned Banned

Just rubbers, really.

10. Yossarian

Yossarian moving the bomb line

'Coz prostitution's legal?

11. Fruitloop

Fruitloop communism will win

Soliciting ain't.

12. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

To me, overt whoring, like drug dealing, as a criminal activity, is a consequence of laws that just do not respect human nature.

All periodic attempts to make it go away are doomed. Even the most oppressive police action wil only shuffle it away for a while.

Legalise it and control it. People want to shag whores, like they want to take drugs.

At least allow them to go somewhere to do it that isn't in the face of people who don't want to be involved in either.

Giles..

13. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

OP: You've only just noticed an increase? :D

The numbers fall and rise depending on police presence. Plain clothed police often patrol the area.

My friend used to live in the first house facing Brixton Hill (side of it was Josephine). He'd forever be finding condoms and crap outside his front door every morning.

It got slightly better when loads of the greenery out the front was cut down although not for him, as his front door was below ground level so they all used his front door as a shagging post :(

14. BIG davie H

BIG davie H hotter than a mofo

and liverpoool

15. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

i lived on raleigh gardens off Brixton Hill a few years ago and we'd always see condoms and prostitutes around there... it got a bit better in 2004.

16. Minnie_the_Minx

should have cut down all your greenery ;)

17. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

they did... that helped but not very much TBH.

18. Manmasi

Manmasi New Member

Ewww, a shagging post, that's pretty grim. It's less the women I mind and more the pimps, dealers, horrible men in cars I object to, that said one flashed her crotch at a friend of mine a while ago, and that's just not on. :eek:

19. Minnie_the_Minx

the shagging post being his front door (below ground level) :D

20. knopf

knopf Banned Banned

I used to live off Josephine Ave (OK, Helix Gardens, if you must know). I remember I was going out at about 8am one Christmas Morning, and I could see a prostitute on the corner. And by the time I got to the junction she'd been picked up.

Christmas Morning. :(

21. Neko

Neko Kat napper

I guess on Christmas morning people are even more likely to feel lonely than at other times, very sad and sleazy prostitution :(

22. Manmasi

Manmasi New Member

Hmmmm, I'm not sure where I stand with the concept of 'loneliness' with what I see around here, these are not call girls who go for dinner and hang out in their houses, I imagine these girls are in cars and in alleys, they are clearly pretty ill with crack etc. I feel a weird mix of disgust and pity, an odd mix of emotions about the whole thing.

23. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Where I used to live opposite Mango Landin' on St Matthew's Road girls would bring their clients back to shag underneath our bedroom window... somehow I never really noticed, but everyone else did...

24. Principle

Principle New Member

They go everywhere, i think its even more disgusting my neice goes to the primary school on new park road and my cousin (her aunty) is a prositute and she works around new park road, josephine av, all over brixton and streatham and camberwell.. Anyway my cousin and her friend walk up and down that bloody road so many times and her friend even has a child at that school, and both my neice and her friend know all about prostitute and them going to jail for it, it disgusts me!!

On another note, most of these girls are only doing it because of all the drugs around brixton[/color]

25. zenie

zenie >^^<

What and you're saying there's none in camberwell or streatham? :confused:

26. Principle

Principle New Member

Obviously theres drugs in camberwell and streatham and most other places in the world (im speaking from experience, ive been a drug user (crack and methodone) but i didnt sell my pussy to fed my habbit, althought alot of the gurls i know did!! so im speaking more on a knowledge than just of what i see.. these gurls most of them dont want to be doing it, yes its a demanding job but they stuck in a rutt! and dont know how to help them selfs! or dont want to!

27. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Poster of the Year 2004

at least it's an honest job.

28. Principle

Principle New Member

What prostitution? yeh most prositutes say that, at least i aint robbing ppl or robbing shops im working hard for da money i get is what my cousin always tells me! no matta what ppl say i love my cousin and will protect her and keep her back! she does work fucking hard, and she gets picked up by police she gets fined she gets shoved into prison for 3 weeks then out then in then out blah blah

29. zenie

zenie >^^<

Haven't Camberwell got an agreement with the girls down there now?

Is your cousin a drug user?

30. Principle

Principle New Member

Yes Crack and Heroin!! Most of my family around South London are drug users, Uncles in brixton prison at the moment had his house raided up streatham! Yes most of my family is pretty well mixed up with drug dealers. And ive been there also!