1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Professionals send Brixton property prices surging by 15%

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Matey might be planning on having half a dozen kids though
  2. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

The things that many newcomers are moving into Brixton for are very often the exact same things that are being pushed out as a result of their arrival.
    Pickman's model likes this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model CREDENTIALGHEDDON 2014: 28 August near you

i don't care how many children matey wants as long as his/her partner wants about six fewer.
    Minnie_the_Minx likes this.
  4. editor

Or maybe opening a boutique restaurant in his house.
  5. Pickman's model

at least it's not buy to let. i hope.
  6. editor

[​IMG]
    lang rabbie and Pickman's model like this.
  7. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Lambeth are restricting the conversion of family houses into flats in Brixton.

But you could say the same to me and you on that front. We're just older newcomers.
  8. Pickman's model

but this seems to be the other way round, flats to family house.
  9. editor

Pretty sure my arrival didn't push up property prices. Probably took them down, if anything.
  10. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

He's in line with Lambeth policy. I'm not sure what the issue is.
  11. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

The flats in my block doubled in value within 6 months of my arrival. Now I'm not saying correlation is causation, but...
    equationgirl likes this.
  12. Minnie_the_Minx

I moved here because my sister moved here first and probably for no other reason than our grandparents lived in Herne Hill and owned a garage in Coldharbour Lane so it was familiar. Absolutely nothing to do with what the area was like, property prices or how many coffee shops there were :D
  13. Pickman's model

you're saying, as i understand it, that lb lambeth are restricting the division of family houses into flats. i am talking about the reverse process, of flats being undivided into houses. could you link to the policy?
  14. Minnie_the_Minx

yeah, but...

:D
  15. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

It was on a thread on here somewhere, I forget where and the whys. I know he's converting flats back into a single unit. The council aren't forcing converted houses to become houses again but they are putting a halt to more conversions in some areas/roads. I'll have a look.
  16. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

In the last 12-18 months there's been a massive change in the demographics of the area. A big influx of largely young, professional and reasonably affluent people have moved into the area. Which means that people who have lived here for a long time are being priced out of the market. Same for some longstanding local businesses. Of course places evolve over time, but when change happens to communities so quickly it causes some resentment and massive changes to the area. Doesn't always necessarily mean it's a bad thing per se, but it does have repercussions for housing, business, schools and other infrastructure.

Communities can become transient. Many (not all) of the people moving to the area will move out to buy a place, start a family or just because they want a quieter life. Some of those are reasons for people moving in too from more affluent areas. Nothing necessarily wrong with any of those choices, but when you have a massive influx of this sort of thing over a short period of time it inevitably unsettles areas for good and/or bad reasons.
  17. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Shut it you. :mad: Obviously newcomers (spit) have brought them down.
  18. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

19. editor

Mine eventually turned into one of London's biggest crack dens.
  20. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Perhaps you should be evicted from Brixton then? Hmm. You're obviously a bad influence, Ed.
  21. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055

It's a fucker of a situation that isn't going to be resolved until we end a housing system that encourages people to take on ludicrous amounts of debt to put a roof over their heads.
  22. Minnie_the_Minx

I reckon he's partly responsible. When people google various places in Brixton, they probably come across his articles and see there's the Lido and Brockwell Park and think to themselves that it sounds like a jolly nice area to move to
  23. Winot

Winot Win not Whine

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334182533.022784.jpg
  24. Matey

Matey New Member

Thanks Nipsla. That was exactly what I was after.

I'm sure that the speed of change has a lot to do with it. I've read a number of different accounts of Brixton's history and from what I can tell Brixton's had quite a few rapid and substantial changes to its make-up since it was built?
  25. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Quite. That's no more matey's fault than anyone else's. AFAWK... :hmm:

A good point, well made, minnie.
  26. Minnie_the_Minx

You didn't see many yuppies wanting to move here in the early 80s though. I wonder why

However, I do realise that there's a lot more yuppies now than there were in the 80s
  27. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

There were other problems then though, presumably. Would you want them back?
  28. Minnie_the_Minx

Yeah, but if they wanted cheap houses, then that was the prime time to come wasn't it?!
  29. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Yes, but I was still at school, minnie.
    lighterthief likes this.
  30. Pickman's model

at the risk of missing the obvious, why do you bugger about going east then north when the orange road forming the hypotenuse of the little triangle at the start of your route would appear to be at least as fast? plus going up the a23 and then east on the orange road would appear a shorter distance than you're currently taking. and i do hope that it doesn't take you 1h41m to cycle that, you may as well leave your bike at home and walk, it'd be quicker.