1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

present for an 88 year old woman

Discussion in 'Christmas and Year Review - 2010' started by feyr, Dec 20, 2010.

1. feyr

feyr evil evil monkey!

i am struggling with finding ideas for what to buy my kids great gran for christmas ( my ex's gran) . her birthday was last week for which i bought her a litre of whiskey and some trousers that she wanted, so i just need to get something token for christmas ( budget around 20) . I am not hugely close to her iyswim, but she has helped me and the kids financially and the kids emotionally over the past few years, and unlike my ex parents in law, has bent over backwards to make sure my kids still have a relatively amicable family, and who has offered to watch the kids for the off hour here and there when i have struggled to find childcare

so basically, she is a star and i want to get her something good but am drawing blanks! she is relatively mobile still but tires easily, enjoys a drink,is a bit rubbish at taking care of her house, and survives mainly on sandwhiches ( she is a woman after my own heart tbf :D )

google just threw up suggestions of spending time with elderly relatives, which i do with her anyway. i pop round to see her every week, the kids ring her regularly, we take it in turns to treat each other to half a pint of Guinness and a plate of fish n chips once a month or so, so i am looking for material suggestions. so, any ideas? and wat are you buying your elder relatives this christmas?
  2. Clair De Lune

Clair De Lune Glistening finger

A nicely framed photo of the kids? :)
  3. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Some nice cigars to go with the booze?
  4. feyr

feyr evil evil monkey!

she already had many of them :D last year one of her sons got her a digital photo frame and all the family send me regular photos to upload on it for her
  5. 8ball

8ball Rusty Spoons...

Salsa lessons?
  6. Yuwipi Woman

My cousin gave his mom a vibrator for her birthday. She couldn't even tell me what it was. The closest she came was "a waterproof finger." :D
  7. feyr

feyr evil evil monkey!

we did that for her 80th :D as she used to ballroom dance when she was younger

:D soooooo tempting :D
  8. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady willy nilly

A nice bottle of brandy and a bunch of flowers for the kids to give her, or get them to bake her biscuits
    How about a CD or books she might find interesting?An old neighbour of mine never gave up glamour so I might have considered buying her a perfume if I'd known her favourite.
  9. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Heated massage slippers. Not because she's a granny, but because I reckon most people would like them.
  10. northern_star

northern_star Well-Known Member

i used to buy me grandad loads of crossword/suduko books, really cheesy mills n boons type novels set in the war, liqueur chocolates, homemade biscuits and warm jumpers-he seemed to be very jappy with those (quite dull) things.
  11. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

Co-op divvy stamps
  12. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

a kaleidoscope.
  13. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

parma violets
  14. feyr

feyr evil evil monkey!

she got a lot of booze for her birthday, my ex got her her a flower/plant arrangement for her birthday, same with the latest cds she wanted. perfume is a good idea though, i know what sort of scents she likes :)
    she got them for her birthday :D

she doesnt like crosswords/suduko ( they remind her of her husband who died last year), she isnt much of a reader due to bad eyesight but enjoys audio books ( of which she has a huge backlog), she got 3 jumpers for her birthday. could get the kids to make and decorate her some biscuits or a cake

no co-op near her :p

i was thinking about getting a slow cooker for her as she has said before she wakes up with good intentions of cooking but has lost energy by tea time. but all the ones i saw have been to serve 3-4 people, the bowl part is quite heavy to lift and i wouldn't necessarily trust her to store the cooked food safely if she had cooked enough for 3 or 4 people
  15. weepiper

weepiper eb slootly non verbal

they do exist - one here on Amazon
  16. Yuwipi Woman

Electric blanket? I hear it's been cold over there.
  17. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Make something. Older people and grannies love something someone has taken the trouble to make especially for them.
  18. sheothebudworths

sheothebudworths Up the bum - no babies!!!

19. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

20. xes

xes F.O.A.D

a massive dildo
  21. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

...nah, can't do that one.

A small knick-knack.
  22. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Something consumable :(
  23. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

I'd go with this. Whisky truffles or similar.
    If you think she'd be ok with it what about an Oxfam pressie?
    http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/content/unwrapped/5to25.html
  24. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

Something historical commemorating the year of her birth
  25. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

I'd be right pissed off if someone did that to me at 88.