1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pep Guardiola, is he the Maradonna of World Football Management?

Discussion in 'football' started by Sunray, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

Very dignified exit at pretty much the top of the game. Even Ferguson can't compare, he's had forever at the job.

Some can say its not the strongest league top to bottom, but he took it to the very highest level and beat some of the best teams out there with real style.

I doubt there was a team out there that could touch them.

18 competitions entered, 14 won and some won in a manner that was truly great football.

Can that record be touched?

He did have Lionel Messi and his 60 goals.

2. S☼I

S☼I human being not a human doing

What does Maradona have to do with it?

3. S☼I

Oh, I see; the best. Sorry.

Like Maradona - maybe the best - although unlike Maradona, he had a massive amount of help from his team.

4. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

It's hard to say how good he is. More or less the whole Barcelona team would be there and would be one of the best teams ever regardless of whether he'd been the manager.

5. S☼I

He got rid of Deco & Ronaldinho, though, and later Eto'o. Quite brave really.

6. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

Deco was never that good though, and the Eto'o deal has to be his biggest mistake as a manager.

Like I say I'm not saying he's a bad manager, but it's hard to say assess how responsible he is for how good Barcelona have been. If he could get another team to be anywhere near that level then he really could be seen as a great manager.

7. biggus dickus

biggus dickus what a dork! Banned

Maradonna had one of the least dignified exits I can think of. Sent home from the World Cup for being on coke followed by years of being a mess, then cleaning up and being a terrible national coach

Guardiola has had what 4 years? he can't compare to someone like Ferguson because he only made one winning team, Ferguson has made about 5, quite a few managers have made great teams at massive clubs...

8. S☼I

Yeah, and that's why longevity is a factor in these nevertheless impossible to settle arguments. His achievements are right up there but it'll be interesting to see how he fares if and when he comes back to it after his year off. I'd perhaps argue Mourinho is at least his equal at present.

9. biggus dickus

I also think that 'making' players is important. Guardiola has bought a lot of great players and played them well but there aren't any players who he got at 17 or something and grew into greats yet

10. Sunray

This is my point, in 4 years he's practically eclipsed Ferguson's career which has spanned over 20 year in what he has won.

Last years final there was only ever going to be one winner. Losing to Chelsea proves that its really not easy to win that cup. Fairly well proven over many many years.

11. twentythreedom

twentythreedom a Somali pirate riding a dinosaur, obviously

I reckon it's a canny move by Pep to duck out now. Take some time off (unless Roman makes an offer he can't refuse:hmm:) and return with reputation and integrity intact. Hmmmmm...

12. biggus dickus

But lasting 25 years is one of the most impressive things about Ferguson. It isn't just that he's won everything, it's that he's been doing it at the top level for so long

13. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

I think a big part of longevity like that is to not be totally connected with the club, at least not in the emotional and personal way that Guardiola was.

14. aylee

aylee In exile in Haringay

Amazing achievements at Barca, but he will need to show that he can do it at a lesser club in order to join the pantheon of managerial greats. If Redknapp takes the England job, Spurs would be a good challenge for Guardiola.

15. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

Or even to dismantle and rebuild new teams at a club, many managers have been unable to do this, while no doubt he is an excellent manager he also got a bit lucky as in right place right time.

16. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

Whilst he did inherit a lot of good players, its also worth pointing out that Barcelona absolutely were shocking in the last season that Rijkaard spent there. For instance that pasillo game is one of the worst surrenders I can remember in top flight football.

17. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

Those are valid points, but you would still have to be completely useless not to be able to achieve some success with the group of players that he largely inherited.

18. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I remember when Ronaldinho chose Barca over Man U. and Roy Keene called him 'unambitious'. :D

19. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd have liked to have seen him stay on at Barca and see how he went about the overhaul of their squad (as Ferguson and Wenger have done at their clubs). Until he does that then I think the hype surrounding him is a excessive.

20. Sunray

Hype? He's won 14 out 18 competitions, including the Champions league twice in 4 years playing a very attractive style of football.

21. Lord Camomile

Lord Camomile Unknown Member

But he's done it with essentially just the one side. As has been said already, part of what makes a 'great' manager is the ability to do it again and again.

He's clearly done a very good job, but until he does a series of very good jobs there'll probably always be a question of just where he sits.

22. Sunray

23. DexterTCN

DexterTCN 18-9-14

But when that style doesn't work they don't seem to be able to adapt.

24. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

There are a few worthy candidates from Britain alone, Paisley, Clough, Ferguson, Stein, all have built and rebuilt great teams, no doubt there are many more in Europe and South America.

25. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

But the question you posed in the OP was if the achievement make him 'untouchable'. In my own view whilst very impressive a) he inherited the majority of the current squad - crucially including the spine and heart of the side, and his additions Villa, Fabregas have been decent but not gob smaking and b) unlike Ferguson, Wenger and others (e.g Shankley) hasn't then re-built the side to maintain their greatness.

I'd agree also with the comment earlier that against Chelsea, Barca were crying out for a Plan B that they didhn't seem to have.

None of that detracts from what's he achieved by the way which as you correctly say is very impressive.