1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC World offers WiFi-only Motorola Xoom Android 10.1" tablet for £449.99

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by editor, Mar 1, 2011.

1. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Look at the videos online, the Sense stuff works really well.

2. beesonthewhatnow

No matter how many times you keep saying this you're still wrong.

A tablet isn't for you, but that doesn't mean they don't fill a market for others.

3. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

Yeah they did! Ask any Motorola mobile phone users about their experience and if they would care to repeat it.

4. Sunray

You can keep saying that as well but as people will start to realise the economic truth of their purchase the rot will set in. Marketing can drive sales but I wouldn't recommend a tablet to anyone for the reasons I have stated.

Are you or anyone reading this recommending a tablet (any) over a laptop to anyone? If you are on what grounds?

2.3 isn't designed for tablets. Google have said so and release Android 3 for tablet devices. There are a long list of technical issues that this solves, not least the default Android Market installed by default and working properly and support for the screen sizes.

Bearing this in mind, why install 2.3 on a yet to be released tablet? Mind boggling decision.

5. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Yes. We are on the verge of trying iPads for our sales reps, primarily so that they can access the companies web-based systems without having to wait for their laptops to startup. The hope is that it will be significantly more practical for them to use tablets in their cars and at customers premises.

6. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

Well I guess it's taking me a long time to realise my economic truth then.

I do think that it is possible to poison the brand though. If people see a lot of shit Android tablets - and there have been a few so far - they may conclude that Android tablets are shit, and it could take a while to shift that impression. All of these things are quite heavily branded as being "Android", rather than a series of individual products by individual manufacturers.

However it's far too early for that to happen at this stage, even if 2.3 *is* shit - it would take a relatively consistent series of products for people to draw overall conclusions, and/or possibly a really high-profile failure.

7. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

There's only been a handful of Android tablet big sellers so far, and customer satisfaction levels seem to have been pretty high for the likes of the biggest seller, the Samsung Galaxy Tab so this whole 'poisoned the concept' notion is really daft.

8. beesonthewhatnow

Yeah, to anyone that wanted a device just for browsing the web, checking their email and reading/basic editing of simple documents in a stylish and easy to use package. My parents for example.

I'd also get myself an iPad for when I'm on tour if it wasn't for fucking itunes. I'm very tempted by the new HTC one. I'm not after something that can run tons of apps, I just want web browsing, email and the ability to made a skype call.

9. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

I don't think the notion is daft, but I don't think Android tablets have sold enough or been shit enough to really make a big effect, yet.

10. FridgeMagnet

Brands can definitely be poisoned by shit products, even if there's nothing intrinsically wrong with them. See a lot of Linux netbooks being sold? That's a direct result of Asus shipping the EEE with a really poor installation of Linux.

11. beesonthewhatnow

Yep. I'll never buy anything made by Motorola again, after my experience with a truly awful mobile phone.

Not logical at all I know, but hey ho.

12. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

Yep. WAP being touted as "the internet on your mobile" when it fact it was nothing of the sort had a similar affect on buying trends.

13. Sunray

You can do all of that and everything else you would like with a decent laptop which has a bigger screen and a keyboard. My current Dell comes out of sleep in <1 second so start up time isn't an issue. You can watch movies on it without having to prop it up or hold it. You can type much faster on a proper keyboard and use industry standard tools like Office and anything else that takes your fancy. If you want to buy something like the Xoom or an iPad over something like this
    http://www.dabs.com/products/toshiba-c660-11k-i3-15-6-4-320-w7hp-77M8.html
    or
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/laptops/363157/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-11 (bit more expensive but its not so far away to not be in the same price bracket)

If you are then your ignoring basic common sense.

Having a cut down low powered computer is a fine concept, but at low cost. These devices are at the same price as reasonably powerful laptops and suffer from some unavoidable issues, the same issues that the phones suffer from but we tolerate due to its functionality and size.

14. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Oh what a surprise, Sunray dismisses the views of anybody that dont happen to match his own views. Because he is the guardian of common sense, of course, and the source of all IT wisdom.

Millions have bought tablets and your opinion means nothing to them, you narrow minded fool.

15. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

If it works anything like I've seen so far, I can think of quite a few reasons why I'd like - and use - a HTC Flyer over a netbook/laptop.

16. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

So anyways, do we have some idea of when this thing is out? Im looking forward to seeing some decent alternatives in the tablet market and want to try one of these hands on. Are we talking days, weeks or months?

17. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Weight: 3.3kg. Has fans, gets hot, has to be 'managed' (anti-virus, file tidying etc), is very obviously a 'computer' even when it's turned off.

The ipad is light and compact enough to pass around the room, carry in one hand, generally treat it like a book or magazine. When you turn it off, it's a thin, unobtrusive thing that won't clutter up the coffee table. The battery lasts twice as long, it doesn't get hot or make fan noise. Those are the reasons I bought an ipad instead of a laptop. I paid a premium for being an early adopter, and it seems that plenty of other people are too.

18. beesonthewhatnow

You're still utterly missing the point.

19. FridgeMagnet

It's all a bit like how people used to say "why are you buying a laptop when you could buy this WAY BETTER SPECCED desktop? more money than sense, you".

20. Sunray

?? That would imply a desktop is portable so is a stupid thing to say.

I am comparing like for like in terms of portability and cost.

Tablets are heavy, low powered, inflexible, ergonomically challenged and do less for more money. You might all be basking in your tablet glory....err...well all two of you. I see that a year after the iPad and a whole rack of so called tablet goodness, two of you own one.

21. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

22. cliche guevara

cliche guevara Well-Known Member

Fuckers, it's only fifty quid, but to me it seems to cross the border from reasonably priced to out of my reach :(