1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC World offers WiFi-only Motorola Xoom Android 10.1" tablet for £449.99

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by editor, Mar 1, 2011.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

2. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Very nice indeed. They've finally caught up with the ipad, if Honeycomb is as good as they say it is.

3. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Cool. Whens it actually available and does anybody know what the flash support is actually like in terms of performance?

4. joustmaster

joustmaster not a racist

looks nice. I still would prefer to spend that money on a little laptop. though.

5. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Now what they need is thousands of Honeycomb ready apps. This is great news, hopefully it'll put the fire under Apple's ass in terms of price and specs. :D

6. Kid_Eternity

Oops?

7. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

It's not shipping with Flash. It "will be available as a free download from the Android Market TM" (emphasis mine). I understand that Adobe hasn't released a suitable version yet.

8. editor

Seeing as Flash has been available on Android handsets for ages, I can't see this being too much of a problem. I find it very useful being able to run Flash on websites on my phone sometimes and not having it on a tablet would be quite irritating.

9. Kid_Eternity

Is it back with the former price yet?

10. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

Not really, there has to be apps to go with it. Android 3 has just about no applications for tablets. If you have a choice between a Xoom and a iPad right now there still isn't any competition. As I have mentioned before the hardware has become somewhat irrelevant, its all about the apps and services.

One does what it does out of the box and not a lot else, the iPad has literally stacks of stuff that is often very professional. This is still an area that Android is lacking, the polish of iOS apps is generally higher. This needs to change, probably will but if the Android market is anything to go by there are too many people thinking they can code. Google needs to exert a more hands on, iron will to the apps that get on there and have a separate market for hobby coders.

Both too expensive.

e2a : The Xoom is 725g. I think the iPad is way too heavy. This is beyond that. iPad and Xoom too heavy and too expensive.

11. cliche guevara

cliche guevara Well-Known Member

The HTC Flyer will have to come loaded with Honeycomb at a sensible price point to compete. £380?

12. Callum91

Callum91 Digital dystopian dweller

Not a chance it will be that cheap.

13. editor

Indeed. The specs are way too high for such a bargain basement price.

14. Callum91

Callum91 Digital dystopian dweller

Which is a shame really. IMO smaller tablets should be in the impulse buy territory.

15. editor

Perhaps, but the Flyer isn't really selling itself as just a regular smaller tablet.

16. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

AFAIK the Flyer isn't coming with Honeycomb, it's running an updated version of HTC Sense on 2.3

17. FridgeMagnet

No tablet of an equivalent size is going to be significantly lighter than the iPad. I would expect most if not all of them to be heavier at this point in time - it's not like miniaturisation technology has vastly improved since a year ago, and Apple are good at making compact and lightweight devices.

Personally the weight of the ipad is fine with me; I'd prefer it lighter but it's not really that significant. However, anyone for whom it *is* significant is going to have to go smaller or not get a tablet at all for the next few years, I'd say.

18. editor

19. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

There are rumours that they will switch from metal to carbon fibre at some point. Beyond that, I dont know how much they can do to further decrease the weight without compromising either battery life or screen quality/feel.

20. FridgeMagnet

Switching the casing material wouldn't save much anyway - they're reaching the point of diminishing returns there. It's the battery which is the major part of the weight I understand - this is the case with the Air too - and the most likely way of saving there is to have higher-efficiency/lower-power internals. This doesn't seem to be what the Android tablet designs so far are going for.

21. DrRingDing

DrRingDing PotValiantFenman

I see the bezels are getting thinner.

22. cliche guevara

cliche guevara Well-Known Member

The Flyer is 2.3 out of the box, in the US at least (UK launch will probably be later?), but haven't HTC confirmed that it will be upgraded to Honeycomb?

23. editor

Thing is, HTC have put in a ton of work so that it works with Sense so it may not be in their interests to do so.

24. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

My tenner is safe :D

25. Sunray

I don't see the point of that, Android 2 isn't designed for tablets. That is why Android 3 exists and its looking quite nice as well.

With these Android tablets, some of which are really terrible, they could be poisoning the future with substandard devices.

26. fen_boy

fen_boy Exits gracefully.

I was interested in the flyer, but not with 2.3; even with Sense. 3.0 is for tablets.

27. editor

I've no idea how a product can "poison" the future - what a curious notion - but I see no reason why the HTC Flyer can't prove to be a thoroughly useful device for some. Most people don't really care what the OS version is - all they care about is: "does it do the job I want it to and do it well?". From what I've seen of the Flyer it seems to do its job very well indeed.

28. Sunray

This is my biggest issue with these tablets.

If the Xoom was say 100-150 quid it would be mightily tempting device. As it is, its up against a 1/2 decent laptop?

I would recommend a laptop every time. I can do anything I want on that on a proper keyboard. Tablets are in a niche that nobody really needs, so there has to be a reason to own one, price will be the one thing that drives these devices.

29. Sunray

If people buy a device and its shit and this happens to a substantial portion of the people that buy a device, they unsurprisingly are less inclined to get another. Hence these devices have poisoned the future and this can take some time to get over.

30. editor

That's a ridiculously flawed argument. Shit phones didn't "poison" mobile sales, neither have all the other shit gadgets released over the years.