1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMC-LX3 digital compact looks good

Discussion in 'cameras and camera gear' started by mod, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Piers Gibbon

Piers Gibbon Well-Known Member

thanks...now I just need to find my card reader

2. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

I'm continuing to find the images from this little beauty, seriously impressive.

I was having a fuck around with long exp's a couple of nights ago:
    Fully manual, 10secs @f8 (inc. setting the colour temp in ºK)

[​IMG]

at 100%:

[​IMG]

3. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

Lovely pics Pie1. Really nice. Where are you?

*envy

4. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

Engadin region of Switzerland. Stunning area.
    Picture is of Silvaplana - near St. Moritz

5. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

6. Piers Gibbon

I think us mac people have to have a usb card reader basically!..there's no other way

Infuriatingly I cannot find mine...and I need it also to transfer TomTom from the old palm phone to the new centro

so....if you find a good multicard usb reader online let me know!

7. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

I think that's the same whether you're using a Mac or a PC.

Slightly confused about the need for a card reader though. Doesn't the LX3 mount as a writeable disk when you connect it to your computer like most other digicams anyway?

8. Piers Gibbon

it mounts..but it aint writeable - at least on my mac

9. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

Yeah, it mounts & I've tried dropping the dl'd firmware file from Panasonic onto it, but nada :(

10. editor

I just bang the card in my card reader, slap it in the LX3 and it upgrades itself in about a minute. You can get external SD card readers for next to nothing (is there really nothing in your house that can write to a SD card?).

I'm loving the Ricoh lens cap big time - no more fumbling trying to get the lens cap off!

11. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

No, believe it or not - never had the need!
    All my pro stuff runs CF's & in any case, firmware updates go straight in down the firewire pipe.
    The only sd devices that I've ever owned before this, are the old ixus & a Garmin sat nav, which again updates via the usb lead.
    I find it a bit odd that you can't do the same with the LX3. tbh.

12. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

Bought a multi cardreader for a tenner - that was easy :oops:

One thing that's pissing me off now is these accessories.
    They look like lovely compliments for the camera & I'd like the nd & the polorizer (you need the adaptor for those too) + the viewfinder - but your looking at almost £500 :eek:
    I mean £115 for a 48mm polorizer or ND. Fuck right off.

(That's if you can even find a dealer who's actually seen them in the flesh. They remain somewhat mythical atm by all accounts.)

I guess they're waiting to see how demand is.

13. editor

Seeing as I managed to wedge on the Ricoh lens cap, I cant see why you couldn't bodge on filters too, you know.

14. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

Oh, I'm sure you can.Though you probably still need the adaptor ring I'd imagine.
    There's already people suggesting using old Voigtlander viewfinders or other horseshoe ones for example. Plus they come in different focal lengths.

15. Reg in slippers

Reg in slippers Well-Known Member

the dpreview panasonic talk forums could help there, 3rd party filters and rings do fit

16. editor

Cool. The new ACDSee Pro 2.5 can handle LX3 RAW files.

17. dfm

dfm help I'm alive

Does the LX3 have a time lapse mode?

18. Refused as fuck

Refused as fuck "ethnic pakistani tosser"

Do I need CS4 to open them in photoshop?

19. t0bytoo

t0bytoo Well-Known Member

Just bought one of these after the good buzz on this post. It's been ten years since I did any photography, and I'm blown away by this camera. Even IA mode produces good results.

Very cool...

20. mod

mod A modernist

Does anyone else think the iA setting isn't perfect? What I mean is, it seems to retain some of the settings I change when in manual mode.

21. editor

The iA setting is the most accurate auto mode I've ever used on a camera.

22. mod

mod A modernist

I used to think that but am convinved its not as good as it was. Shots on iA seems a little flat now when once were unbelievably rich (and real) in colour.

23. mod

mod A modernist

Took this at the weekend on macro setting iA. The detail is really amazing. Attached image doesn't do it justice as I've had to crop it, reduce it by 50% and compress it down to 19.5 KB so I could attach it.

4MB full size/resolution/100% image can be seen here....

http://www.lab63.co.uk/eddie/

Attached Files:

24. little_legs

little_legs Поехали!

I really don't like the thin strap of LX3 and I'd like to find a strap like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I am guessing the camera on the pictures is not LX3 and maybe my question is completely ridiculous. Apologies. Any advice would be appreciated.

25. editor

26. little_legs

little_legs Поехали!

I think it's a leather strap that she's got. I'll have a rummage around the website you linked to though. Thanks.