1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Night in Glasgow

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by crustychick, Jan 20, 2012.

1. crustychick

crustychick doo-woop-de-doo

Hi scottish urbs!

I'm coming to Glasgow for one night in April, and despite coming from the west-coast of Scotland i'm not overly familiar with Glasgow :oops: having been to university in Edinburgh :)

Anyway, I was wondering which bit of Glasgow would be best to stay in? Also, anything we absolutely must do while we're there? we should have a full day and my fella has never been to Glasgow before...

:)
  2. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

3. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Anti-homelessness stud.

Which bit would be best to stay in? Depends what you want to do. Mind you, the transport system is very good, so everything is close to the Subway or a bus.

The West End has the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. This is well worth a visit. It is in Kelvingrove Park, too. Not far away, the relocated Transport Museum (now called the Riverside Museum) sits on the Clyde.

Still in the West End, at the top of Byres Road, you'll find the Botanic Gardens and Park. That's a nice place to visit. There's also good restaurants, pubs and cafes on Byres Road and Great Western Road, and off Byres Road in Ashton Lane, and on Woodlands Road. I always visit Fopp when I'm there, too. There's independent shops, and some good second hand shops there and abouts.

In the city centre there's all the shops and restaurants you might imagine - the shopping streets of Sauchiehall Street, Buchanan Street, and Argyle Street, as well as the shopping malls Buchanan Galleries and St Enoch Centre. The Glasgow Museum of Modern Art is off Buchanan Street, between it and Queen Street.

In East End, there's the People's Palace and Winter Gardens. The People's Palace is, as you might expect, a museum of Glasgow life. Up past Glasgow Cross is the Museum of Religion, next to St Mungo's Cathedral. Also worth a visit is the Barras market.

While on Queens Street, try to find Mono cafe and Monorail Music. It's a cafe with a great recordshop inside it run by Stephen Pastel. You cross Argyle Street, going towards the river, near the car park east of the St Enoch's Centre.

Nightlife? King Tut's Wah Wah Hut is still going strong on St Vincent Street. Good place to catch bands before they make it big or disappear. Nice N Sleazy on Sauchiehall Street is another place to catch bands and DJs.

Fed will tell you what pubs are still cool.
  4. danny la rouge

I forgot to mention the Burrell collection on the Southside, sitting in Pollock Park. And also the 13th Note, where I saw Big Star amongst other delights.

That should keep you busy.
  5. crustychick

amazing - cheers Danny!
  6. danny la rouge

No problems. There's loads I forgot, but you're only there one night, so it can keep until your next visit.

What food do you like?

There's Fratelli Sarti, an Italian deli/bar/trattoria/ristorante on Wellington Street (behind the Sauchiehall Street Shopping Centre). Great place for caffe freddo.

Also, Cafe Andaluz on the corner of Cresswell Street/Cresswell Lane (behind Byres Road Library, opposite the baths). Tapas place.

Then there's the Persian restaurant on Great Western Road called. Em. Persia.

Or for fish and chips, and ice cream, the University Cafe on Byres road hasn't changed for decades.
  7. crustychick

we can't do Italian I'm afraid. Vegetarian food is our poison...

Fish and chips too - well, pizza supper for me! yum...
  8. danny la rouge

I'm veggie, too.

The Uni Cafe is run by an Italian family. And pizza supper has pizza in it. So whatever it is you have again Italians, I thought you should know...
  9. crustychick

haha - thanks. it's the boy that can't eat tomato or dairy so italian is generally out for him. I can haz pizza supper though ;)
  10. danny la rouge

:D I see.

Mono is a veggie cafe. (The one that has Stephen Pastel's record shop in it). http://www.monocafebar.com/index.php?pid=79
    fakeplasticgirl and crustychick like this.
  11. weepiper

weepiper eb slootly non verbal

Mono's great, it's a bar as well as a (vegan) caff and has lots of good beers
  12. crustychick

13. fakeplasticgirl

fakeplasticgirl hysterically useless

I was about to suggest a visit to Mono while you're there but it seems everyone else has got there first- love it! Go there crusty :) (I was so addicted to the place I even organised my leaving drinks there). Order the veggie chilli on the menu too cos it's lush! And it's right opposite the 13th note too which is also worth a visit...

if you do stay in the west end another good bet is the captains rest for good music/atmosphere/food etc http://www.captainsrest.co.uk/ :)
  14. fakeplasticgirl

edit: just seen from veggie chilli is no longer on the menu... nooooooooooo! :( oh well everything there tastes pretty fab...
  15. Ich bin ein Mod

Ich bin ein Mod does his make up in his room

Its sister bar, Stereo, is not bad, always got gigs on too http://www.stereocafebar.com/
  16. fakeplasticgirl

Yeah Stereo has good club nights too if you want to dance :)

let me know if you have any more questions! since i spent a year recently being a professional layabout/ (f)unemployed in glasgow I'll try and help ;)
  17. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

This place has been massively recommended by mates http://heavenlyglasgow.co.uk/.
  18. crustychick

that looks really good - thanks. now we have too much choice! might just have to spend all day eating :D :oops:
  19. crustychick

cheers miss fpg
  20. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

As for pubs, well Mono & Stereo are good, Nice'n'Sleazy's on Sauchiehall Street, McChuills (my own preference) on High Street, Republic Bier Halle on Gordon Street, Tennants on Byres Road in the West End, The Scotia Bar on Stockwell Street and Pot Still (has hundreds of whiskies) on Hope Street are all worth a look.
    crustychick likes this.
  21. crustychick

well, we'll be there on a friday night so good enough reason to check out them all!
  22. equationgirl

equationgirl red Clydeside

There's a few Japanese places that do great veggie food, as well as a plethora of good curry restaurants throughout the city.
  23. teuchter

teuchter *worse than Sean Connery in every regard*

Make a visit to the Barras market

See if you can get on a tour round the Art School building

If you like tea, go here. It's particularly nice on a sunny afternoon.

Pubs - my knowledge is a bit out of date but probably worth looking at the State Bar, and the Variety Bar on Sauchiehall Street (very close to nice'n'sleazy).

The Art School (as in the venue - it's also the Art School student's union bar) always had good nights on (not the usual student crap) but i think it might have been knocked down now. :(
  24. danny la rouge

Glasgow?

Can you be more specific?
  25. teuchter

26. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

another thumbs up for stereo bar from me, then to the monkey for heavy metal, coffee and meat in bread the next morning :)
  27. equationgirl

equationgirl red Clydeside

28. crustychick

am printing off this thread now :) we fly tomorrow and we're in Glasgow on the 13th! wooo!
  29. teuchter

I was up in Glasgow a couple of weeks back and enjoyed having tea and cakes in the Transeurop Cafe.

And 13th Note and mono (both mentioned already earlier in the thread) are just around the corner.

You could also consider www.thebuffclub.com. I've only been there once or twice, some time back, but many people seem to rate it.
  30. fakeplasticgirl

have a great time :)