1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympic Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Olympics 2012' started by Nigel Irritable, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

This is the thread for all of the Olympic boxing competitions, both men's and women's.

Boxing has a lot of local interest for both Britain and Ireland, with both countries confident of medals. Today, John Joe Nevin, the Irish bantamweight, easily beat Dennis Ceylan (Denmark) in the first round. Darren O'Neill, the Irish middleweight, beat Muideen Akanji of Nigeria as well.
  2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Who's on the 1st (7.30pm)?
  3. Balbi

Balbi Hey, Dean Yager!

I'm watching the middleweight round of 32 on red button. Sme good stuff.
  4. Nigel Irritable

Yeah, some good fights tonight too.

Another Irish boxer got through, Adam Nolan at welterweight. He's the only one of the Irish lads I hadn't seen fight before. His style is very awkward.
  5. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Has it been any good? The lighter divisions early rounds are available for download on a British telly torrent site I use but hesitated a bit as it's a biggish file.
  6. Nigel Irritable

Yes. The standard seems pretty high so far across the two sessions I've seen, although nobody in those two sessions has looked out of this world good either.
  7. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

All 7 of the British lads are through to the last 16. 4 got bye's (due to their world rankings) and 3 have won theirlast 32 bouts.
  8. Nigel Irritable

Weirdly, not only are all seven British boxers through, so are all five Irish boxers, and every yank who has fought so far is also through.

All the Cubans so far have had byes.
  9. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

You were right, good stuff! See the commentators said they've changed the qualification requirements to make it a bit more stringent which maybe explains the good general standard.
  10. Nigel Irritable

That Cuban lad at flyweight looked pretty special. I don't know how far he'll go this time around, as he's only 18, but he's clearly a big talent. Lovely footwork and great hand speed.
  11. Bajie

Bajie Registered User

That Damien Hooper has an interesting style of boxing, he seems to really love a good fight as well.
  12. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

Really looking forward to today's sessions. Ireland's John Joe Nevin, GB's Luke Campbell and Anthony Joshua and 3 of the US boys.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the Mexican fella Oscar Valdez Fierro, he'll be on right after Nevin.
  13. Nigel Irritable

Nevin looked excellent again. Joshua against Savon (Jr) should be worth watching, even though the Superheavies are usually best ignored.
  14. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

My friend went to watch that one live
  15. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

When did they stop showing the scores on screen?
  16. twentythreedom

twentythreedom No, I am not boat happy. Now fuck off

wtf anyone see the irish dude DQed?? Madness.
  17. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Iranian wasn't he? Or have there been two sill DQs?
  18. tommers

tommers I did it!

Yeah. It's annoying.
  19. Mephitic

Mephitic It's not easy having a good time

iran vs cuba = wtf?

edit: poor refereeing, he should be kicked in the sack for that DQ
    twentythreedom likes this.
  20. Nigel Irritable

The officiating has been terrible this evening. We had the Japanese guy being absolutely robbed, followed by the Cuban getting the softest disqualification win I've ever seen.

The judges actually managed to score the last round of the Japanese fighter, Shimizu's, match even apart from his opponents two point deduction! That's a round in which his opponent spent most of the time either on his way to the canvas, kneeling on the canvas or getting up from the canvas. Shameful.
  21. twentythreedom

was he Iranian? D'oh, massive IR confusion :facepalm: Still disgraceful, regardless!!
  22. twentythreedom

The Kazak dude is a beast!! 6'9"!!
    Mephitic likes this.
  23. twentythreedom

ugly as fuck too, he'll batter the kraut, trust me
  24. twentythreedom

Biff, pow, clump!!
  25. twentythreedom

Kazak wins, bastard son of Klitschko!
  26. Nigel Irritable

Good boxer/brawler scrap between the Canadian and French superheavies.
    Mephitic likes this.
  27. Nigel Irritable

At the moment Joshua looks like he's en route to a home town decision. Savon should be in the lead.
  28. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Bit lucky there, I think.
  29. Nigel Irritable

Yep, a bad hometown decision. Luck has nothing to with it. The officiating tonight has been shit.
    Mephitic likes this.
  30. Nigel Irritable

I really hope that wasn't a taste of things to come as far as fights involving British boxers are concerned.