1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"odd" expressions??

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by maya, Feb 11, 2005.

1. maya

maya timewasting fool (in every universe)

...in norway, someone "Harry" = someone a bit vulgar, unsophisticated
    ...a "Hero in slippers"= a man with a strong wife/gf, who's "under the thumb", and everyone knows it, including himself

...so,what's your favourite "odd" expression(s), and what do they mean? :)
  2. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

Smart as a carrot = dressed up :confused:
  3. West68thStreet

West68thStreet your misguided trousers

I can't remember which northern European country it's from, but someone who's pedantic is described as an "antfucker" :D
  4. Dirty Martini

Dirty Martini gets what he cant want

:D

I like the Slovene expression 'to smell like a cougar', which happens if you don't wash.
  5. XerxesVargas

XerxesVargas formerly MrMalcontent

An itallian friend of my brother-in-law came ou with this one just the other day:

Whan the cat's away, the rats can dance"

So much better than our version methinks.
  6. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

If I was playing up my scottish mother used to say, 'Fun's fun but get yer arse off the pillow'
    :confused:

She came out with a classic today. We were talking about my eldest son and how rude he is and she said, 'Oh yes - he opens his mouth and his belly grumbles'
  7. Cloo

Cloo Upmarket chicken concept

I quite like the German 'Ich habe die Nase voll' ('My nose is filled up', roughly) for being sick and tired of something.

As for English - 'Three sheets in the wind' for being drunk. Origin anyone?
    Or my sister's favourite drunkeness euphemism - 'Ripped to the tits' :D

And a geordie friend of my family likes to say 'About as much use as a chocolate tea pot'

'Bamba clart' I like too, but I'm not sure what it means!
  8. chooch

chooch ladled with fail

9. belboid

belboid Hang Liberals

Three sheets to the wind I think.

"The sheet is the line that controls the sails on a ship. If the line is not secured, the sail flops in the wind, and the ship loses headway and control. If all three sails are loose, the ship is out of control"
    http://www.bartleby.com/59/4/threesheetst.html
  10. danae

danae New Member

In Spanish, to be "between two candles" (entre dos velas) means to be skint. There is a hand gesture that is equivalent to this expression, it looks a bit like trapping the nose between the second and third finger and rubbing down its sides.

I think it originates from the days before electricity.
  11. 5T3R30TYP3

5T3R30TYP3 Banned Banned

My mate mark comes up with the best expressions ever. I think he learns them at work (he's a pipefitter), him and his mates come up with really weird phrases for humour on site. I can't think of any really good ones at the moment but believe me they are hilarious.

I am quite sure that the words bomboclat and bloodclat meen the same thing as 'rassclat', they are words from Jamaica/West indies. The way that a lot of Jamaicans pronounce words, often removing an h and making an o sound more like an a. e.g. - mouth = mout, throat = troat, throw = trow, cloth = claht. So the 'clart' bit comes means cloth, as for the blood/rass/bombo bit, well that's blood innit.

The funny thing is a lot of black/mixed-race badboys and rude-girls say the word often because it makes them look cool or 'bad' or whatever, but 90% of them don't even know what the hell it means.
  12. METH LAB

METH LAB Im a goat! Banned

Bumpa rassclart blood clart 'ting u mean?
  13. My (Irish) Mum says "sure that wouldn't last kissing time" to refer to anything (often but not always food-related) that is destined to be short in temporal duration.
  14. Wolfie

Wolfie Well-Known Member

my gran used to say about anything that there was alot of - "there's enough of that to cobble dogs with"
  15. newharper

newharper Manxome Tove

Halt die schnauzer :p
  16. YojimboUK

YojimboUK last man standing

It was either Kenneth Williams or Babs Windsor who used to say "As much use as a fart in a wet blancmange" which will get you odd looks if you use it at work.
  17. CyberRose

CyberRose أرفع الشفرات

Public school = private school!
  18. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

That one I can explain. They where originally set up as public institutions, any one with real money had private tutors for there kids but I few generous souls decided a few less well of kids should get an education so they set up a few schools as to take some of the brighter middle class kids (and just the middle class kids I think) as times changes those middle class kids became part of the new ruling class and merged with the old ruling class to some degree and the schools became the institutions well all know and love today. That also why most of them are still registered charities.
    It’s something like that anyway I read an article about it in the Guardian years ago.
  19. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

20. poet

poet Norman Borlaug > you

"looks like a drink on a stick" - beautiful, particularly someone dressed up nicely. Geordie expression.
  21. That reminds me - "hit with the ugly stick" = "lovely personality".
  22. bristle-krs

bristle-krs New Member

...and you've nothing if not a lovely personality, gussety old chap :)
  23. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

It's more of a euphemism than an odd expression. My Granny used to refer to 'nice young man, kind to his mother'. For years I thought she meant exactly that. I eventually twigged that she meant gay.
  24. polo

polo Well-Known Member

"As much use as a one-legged man at an arse-kicking party"

:D
  25. onenameshelley

onenameshelley is licking a 9v battery

I am not as green as i am cabbage looking Classic Nanna Mina that one

My nan had bloody loads of them but i cant remember them all now :(
  26. King Biscuit Time

King Biscuit Time The highest British attention to the wrong detail.

In Welsh (Maybe just a N.Wales thing, I'm sure some one who actually speaks Welsh will tell me) the equivalent of the English "Raining Cats and Dogs" is "Raining Old Women and Sticks" which makes about as much sense!

Although I do think the sound of heavy rain snicking on the ground could sound like someone dropping sticks on the floor - as for the old women, fuck knows, is it the sound of their brittle old bones snapping as they hit the floor?
  27. maya

maya timewasting fool (in every universe)

oh, i forgot:

..."to take a spanish one" = to serve a white lie to save face/get out of a tricky situation :confused:
  28. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

"I thought to myself" - as opposed to thinking 'to' whom?

"I turned round and said to him" - obviously when he was talking to you, you didn't have the manners actually to face him!
  29. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

My gran (born Hampshire 1912) has got some great old archaic rural expressions:-

(For someone scruffy) - he's not fit to carry guts to a bear.

(For someone clumsy) - he looks like a cow with a musket.

(As a rebuke to someone who suggests someone's wife is possessed of less than exemplary beauty) - any dirty water quenches fire.