1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Occupy Wall Street

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by ymu, Jul 29, 2011.

1. AKA pseudonym

AKA pseudonym Well-Known Member

and lets not forget him and his buddy jay z producing for personal profit 'occupy the world' tshirts... since withdrawn....
  2. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

Posting this here because the NYT credits the occupations for bringing this discussion into the mainstream.

3. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

4. xes

xes F.O.A.D

someone should record the interview he's about to do, incase I'm really high and forget that I was about to watch it.......
  5. xes

xes F.O.A.D

that ex cop, is not a cunt :) (cptn Ray Lewis, for those that didn't see it)
  6. AKA pseudonym

7. AKA pseudonym

8. AKA pseudonym

Statement from Occupy Wall Street:

Yesterday, Occupy Oakland moved to convert a vacant building into a community center to provide education, medical, and housing services for the 99%. Police responded with tear gas, rubber bullets, beanbag rounds and mass arrests. The state has compounded its policy of callous indifference with a ruthless display of violent repression. The Occupy movement will respond, as we have always reponded: ...with an overwhelming show of collective resistance. Today, we take to the streets. Across the country, we will demonstrate our resolve to overcome repression and continue to build a better world grounded in love and solidarity for one another. All eyes on all Occupies.

SOLIDARITY SUNDAY, 7pm EST, Sunday, January 29. Check your local Occupation for convergence points.

Be there.

NEW YORK
    Washington Square Park 7PM Check this link for details about other cities convergence points.
    http://occupywallst.org/

Check Oakland thread for more details
  9. AKA pseudonym

10. This really doesn't look good. Its hard enough to protest in the US it seems to me...

A bill passed Monday in the US House of Representatives and Thursday in the Senate would make it a felony—a serious criminal offense punishable by lengthy terms of incarceration—to participate in many forms of protest associated with the Occupy Wall Street protests of last year. Several commentators have dubbed it the “anti-Occupy” law, but its implications are far broader.

Among the central provisions of H.R. 347 is a section that would make it a criminal offense to “enter or remain in” an area designated as “restricted.”

The bill defines the areas that qualify as “restricted” in extremely vague and broad terms. Restricted areas can include “a building or grounds where the President or other person protected by the Secret Service is or will be temporarily visiting” and “a building or grounds so restricted in conjunction with an event designated as a special event of national significance.”

The standard punishment under the new law is a fine and up to one year in prison. If a weapon or serious physical injury is involved, the penalty may be increased to up to ten years.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2012/mar2012/prot-m03.shtml

There's the G8 in Chicago on May 19th...
  11. AKA pseudonym

NYPD officers arrest peaceful protesters on OWS anniversary

12. AKA pseudonym

via #occupyws mailing lists...
    getting hot n heavy again.....
  13. AKA pseudonym

Union Square Park in NYC is Occupied.
    Nylock likes this.
  14. AKA pseudonym

15. AKA pseudonym

16. AKA pseudonym

OWS Friday 13, April 2012

ymu likes this.
  17. yield

yield unheimlich manoeuvre

Clown Show at UC Davis -- Too Bad It's Not Funny
    huffingtonpost 20/04/12
  18. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

19. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

Bump.

20. butchersapron

butchersapron shoot 'em in the back

21. dilute micro

dilute micro esse quam videri

I think it's okay to say, as predicted, that the media did a successful job making the
    Where are the people who were trying to make Occupy out to be a partisan thing?
  22. dilute micro

I think it's safe to say that Occupy was successfully done in by the media and the government in an admirably bi-partisan fashion.

At least in the business of suppressing the citizens our leaders will come together.
  23. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

You left out corporate interests.
  24. dilute micro

Corporations didn't have to fight this one. I never thought they would. The Occupiers had no allies - not the republicans nor democrats.

Power is the most important thing. Stooges like the few here on Urban that champion the democrat agenda don't get it.
  25. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Huh? Like it or not there is an incestuously close relationship between corporate America and the political system. Surely you're not telling me that the corps were fine with the occupation?
  26. dilute micro

No I'm saying they didn't have to tell the politicians what to do.

And it was an excellent play by the media too.
  27. butchersapron

butchersapron shoot 'em in the back

Odd that at the start of occupy you claimed it was simply a stunt by the democrats in order to bolster their party support. Where would you now say that you were wrong in this analysis? What would you identify as your most egregious error in coming to this conclusion?
  28. dilute micro

Oh gosh. No butchersapron, if you go back and look. You're most likely taking things out of context again. You've never been real good on reading comprehension.
  29. AKA pseudonym

tbh: was to be expected from what I hear from various camps over there.....

:(
    :facepalm:
  30. AKA pseudonym

gonna be interesting how this pans out... for a 'leaderless' group.... glad to see some dissent about the 'decision'... no-one is supposed to co-opt #occuppy