1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norway: Oslo bomb and island shooting spree kills over 70 people

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by bi0boy, Jul 22, 2011.

1. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus would be a rubbish god

The question wasn't about restricting legal rights. It was about giving him a platform. I think you've misunderstood what both bigus dickus and I have said.
  2. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

I'm finding it very difficult to distinguish between your concept of 'a platform' and 'offering a defence'.
  3. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

All executions, by which I mean legitimate and others justifiable during conflict, are subject to the agreement/support of those in power, otherwise they'd be illegal ie murder. I've no problem with a post revolutionary society dealing with reactionaries and gangsters as it saw fit.

I'm not an authoritarian, neither however do I have any compunction about Breivik being executed. I don't want to restrict his rights, i'm in favour of a full open, justicie system with full appeal rights etc. But we know there is no grey area with this individual, as such frankly there's oxygen he uses that could be put to better use.
  4. Mr Moose

Mr Moose Incredible Elk

I don't think you followed the post. It wasn't about his inadequacies, it was about 'platform'.
  5. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Agreed, precisely why there is no need for the sort of OMG people will hear his views approach. People aren't stupid, they know what he is - reporting on and allowing him to speak isn't going to turn anyone. If you're the sort whose excited by this stuff then it's all already out there - mainstream papers link to his 'manifesto', his vids take 1 second to find. If you're going to emulate him you're not going to do it on the basis of him being allowed to make a rambling incoherent dick of himself in the dock.

Guilt isn't the point here, it wasn't the point of the analogy - which is what uses you will allow to be made of a courtroom. That's the point of the analogy - and anyway, plenty of the people who famously turned trials into political trials - the ones we remember and celebrate - were guilty as hell, which is often what led them to take that course of action.

ymu and frogwoman like this.
  6. littlebabyjesus

Who is saying that?
  7. ymu

And how many exceptions are possible before all those high ideals disappear down the shitter?

After the revolution, will there be no one who wants to abuse their power simply because we will have somehow achieved utopia, or will we have to find ways to ensure that power cannot be abused?
  8. butchersapron

You
  9. littlebabyjesus

Show me the post where I say that.

I want to deny him a platform because he wants one. I want to deny him part of what he did this for.
  10. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

He isn't offering a defence. He is offering a political justification.
    Old Gergl likes this.
  11. butchersapron

In this post for starters.
  12. ymu

:D

Extraordinary isn't it.

And how does that differ from a defence, precisely?
  13. littlebabyjesus

You're very clever, knowing what people think better than they know themselves. I want to deny him what he wants in order, primarily, to piss him off.
  14. Citizen66

The part where he admitted the crime. Unless of course, part of Norwegian law makes allowances for political justifications for mass murder?
  15. littlebabyjesus

Yep. And if it doesn't, then justice is not being trampled on by disallowing a political statement from the defendant, or at the very least not airing such a statement in public in the way that he wants.

It's not a question of protecting impressionable people from his dangerous words so much as saying that a murder trial is not to be used by the defendant as he wishes. It is a trial to decide guilt in the case in hand.
  16. ymu

Do you think it is normal for a court to hear a guilty plea and then move straight to sentencing without any steps in between? Mandatory and fixed sentences for all crimes?
  17. Citizen66

Not that I'm a fan of the British justice system but I don't recall Copeland being allowed to showboat like this.
  18. littlebabyjesus

He pleaded not guilty.
  19. Pickman's model

Pickman's model CREDENTIALGHEDDON 2014: 28 August near you

:rolleyes:
    :rolleyes:
  20. Pickman's model

he pleaded guilty
  21. Pickman's model

er... copeland pleaded guilty
  22. Citizen66

No, of course not. Although can't a guilty plea circumvent a trial altogether? (I'll admit my ignorance here so will gladly be proven incorrect)
  23. Pickman's model

you don't get to 'showboat' if that's what you're on about
  24. Citizen66

Who, copeland or Brievik?
  25. Pickman's model

i refer you to my post 1791
  26. Citizen66

Yes, but I was under the impression that Breivik had also...
  27. Citizen66

*taps watch* :rolleyes:
  28. Lock&Light

Lock&Light Ignoring most idiots Banned

The very fact that you can dismiss a human being as a "piece of garbage" proves that you don't care about human rights.
  29. littlebabyjesus

Breivik pleaded not guilty. But he admitted to the killings.
  30. Citizen66

:D

Ah right. So he's playing a mitigating circumstances game. i'm in the wrong here then.