1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Kony thread yet?

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by PlaidDragon, Mar 7, 2012.

1. PlaidDragon

PlaidDragon We don't need money to have a good time

I'm sure some of you will have noticed the absolute maelstrom engulfing social media at the moment in regards to the Invisible Children 'Kony 2012' campaign. I'll put the links up and let you make your own mind up, I'm rather suspicious though.

I don't think that thinking he's a horrible man and criticising the charity should be an either/or situation.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kony2012/kony-4.html

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/892373-...ight-on-uganda-conflict-a-huge-online-success

And the caveat:

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/qln68/am_i_the_only_one_who_is_suspicious_about/
    frogwoman likes this.
  2. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

"No xxx thread?"

You just made one! ffs :mad:

Sorry, this just gets my whole herd of goats. As you were.
  3. PlaidDragon

Yeah sorry, just expressing my surprise in the title of the thread- asinine if anything. Mods can change if they wish!
  4. PlaidDragon

5. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

I'm suspicious too, this news regarding Kony popped up recently by recently I mean today. That video was a master class of propoganda though. Arming the Ugandan army to fight child soldiers who are actually in another country whilst reinforcing beliefs amongst white Americans that Africans are helpless mud hut dwellers in need of saving. Its a bit Bono innit.
  6. Idris2002

Idris2002 we have a fish with ears

A few years back I met someone working on Uganda. He told me that when the Ugandan army takes prisoners, the headlines read "Heroic government troops rescue eleven (for example) child soldiers". If they don't take prisoners, the headlines read "Heroic government troops kill eleven LRA rebels".

I'd say people's donation money is better spent on those groups trying to promote human rights and democratisation in that country. If these invisiblechildren people really are asking for subs for the army, then I'm afraid they've got the wrong end of the stick. A very wrong end.
  7. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

There are actually several threads, going back several years. Kony is not new news here. :(
  8. PlaidDragon

I know it's not new news (I think the documentary was '06), but it's just recently exploded in the last couple of days, been trending high on Twitter etc.
  9. N_igma

N_igma Epistemic nuisance

Kony ain't one trick pony.
  10. Idris2002

11. DRINK?

DRINK? bummed by karmachameleon

Oh, you retweeted and shared a link about Joseph Kony.

Tell me more about how you've always cared about Ugandan children.
    pinkmonkey and Col_Buendia like this.
  12. Idris2002

13. Idris2002

Oh, and I think anyone interested in this affair should read this link:

http://www.observer.ug/index.php?op...f-rape-looting&catid=78:topstories&Itemid=116

I'd been sort of aware that the Ugandan army had some serious blots on their copybook, but I wasn't aware they were this bad. You could still argue that they're the lesser evil compared to the LRA, but the Invisiblechildren organisation implies that it's wholly unproblematic to back the UPDF. . .
  14. chilango

chilango Omnia Sunt Communia

[​IMG]

The kids at school are going crazy for kony today...which is a good thing I guess
    SaskiaJayne likes this.
  15. Barking_Mad

Barking_Mad Non sibi sed omnibus

16. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

17. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I think its a good thing that it shows you can raise awareness through this medium very effectively.

But change anything it will not.
  18. Idris2002

It might change some things. It might help make things worse.
  19. B0B2oo9

B0B2oo9 You're all Gay

20. Idris2002

21. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Haha i just posted that latest pic on facebook a few hours ago.

Spot on. Cackled merrily...
  22. Idris2002

The photo of the three bods posing with AKs and an RPG is real btw.
  23. chilango

chilango Omnia Sunt Communia

I heard with the SPLA? Is that true?
  24. Idris2002

Well the two lads at the back are tall enough to be south Sudanese, anyway.
  25. Delroy Booth

Delroy Booth Off to join the SPGB. Have fun. Banned

26. Idris2002

27. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

Well the LRA are purpose built for the Americans to kill really bad people with not a lot of weapons and well away from witnesses or anyone to care what happens to them.
  28. Idris2002

Really bad people - including the wee girls forced to act as sex slaves to Kony and his kronies (did you see what I did there?).

But maybe the Americans and the UPDF have special humanitarian weapons that will only kill bad people.
  29. Corax

Corax This will change your life: http://bit.ly/19lPFRa

Nothing more to add about the polar presentation vs complex reality that hasn't been expounded in those links.

Very well made video though. It even has a cute aryan boy being adorable for justice.
  30. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Side note but sort of related to the comedy photos above, read today that China's just presented a USD200 million new headquarters in Addis Ababa to the African Union.