1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nice places to live within walking distance of UCL

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by king mint, Aug 30, 2007.

1. king mint

king mint Well-Known Member

Hi all

I'm moving to London for postgraduate study and am looking around for accommodation. I want to be within walking distance (30 minutes' brisk walking) from UCL. What areas should I look at and why?

Thanks!
  2. muckypup

muckypup yes

whats your budget for rent ?
  3. waverunner

waverunner Be nice or I'll bite

Apply for postgrad housing see if they'll let you.. you get placed roughly within walking distance of the main campus and its a hell of a lot cheaper than trying to rent on your own in the area.
  4. HackneyE9

HackneyE9 Well-Known Member

Anywhere within 3O mins walk of UCL is nice...but'll you'll be bloody lucky to find somewhere on a postgrad budget unless mummy and daddy are paying the bills...this is WC1 you're talking about.

[Except Somers Town, behind Euston station, which, at least 1O years ago, was bloody dangerous].
  5. mrsfran

mrsfran Slightly less bulbous

I went to UCL and lived in halls, almost all of which were walking distance. Unless you have a private income and can afford astronomical rent, this is pretty much your only option. Schaeffer House is a very short walking distance and has some postgrad rooms.

See here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation
  6. mrsfran

mrsfran Slightly less bulbous

Note: if you're looking for peaceful, post-grad accommodation, avoid Ramsey Hall and Ifor Evans Hall. They're rammed with over-excited undergraduates.
  7. catrina

catrina back on the road

If you want shared accommodation, check the uni london accommodation service, they have flatshares going, some postgrad only, etc. Even the flatshares in WC1 were prohibitively expensive last I checked. Tis a fact of life in London, unfortunately. If you'd consider cycling as an option, there are many places within a 30 minute cycle ride that should have affordable flatshares. Try www.moveflat.com
  8. Xanadu

Xanadu Masterful but awkward

How much are you willing to spend, and do you really really need to be 30 minutes walk away?
  9. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

A lot of Camden is walkable from UCL.
  10. king mint

Sorry I should have been more specific. I am looking for shared houses/flats. Budget is not an issue within reason, I can afford to live with normal people doing normal jobs. My main criteria (apart from the aforementioned 30 minutes' brisk walk) is somewhere nice to live with a bit of local life. Clearly Camden is a contender but I am not a Londoner so if anyone can recommend another district I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks!
  11. beeboo

beeboo geek chic

Generally speaking, 'normal people doing normal jobs' don't live within 30mins walking distance of WC1. :)
  12. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055

Are you familiar with London King Mint? housing is extrememly expensive, especially in Central London.

As others have said your probably best seeing whats available with the colleges accomodation service.
  13. spanglechick

spanglechick Lying in the gutter, looking like a star.

what's your weekly budget range for rent?
  14. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

My research suggests that you could get a single room in Camden for about £100.
  15. harpo

harpo Listening to Radio Jackie

You should stay right in Bloomsbury. It's a great area, and right in the middle of London. Even though it's near where you study, you could walk anywhere briskly in 30 minutes from there and find the best bits of London. There are a lot of student shares round there, but also 'normal working people'. Marchmont Street and environs. Sweeping crescents of flats, town houses set around squares, Italian cake bakeries open for coffee on Sunday mornings, local independent shops, local people who know and speak to each other. The Renoir cinema is also nearby on Brunswick Square with a bunch of good places to eat and a Waitrose. I think there are a lot of room lets and house-shares round there as there are always lots of ads in the windows of bookshops etc. It's a combination between studenty and 'normal' so if you really want to get right away from student life when you're not there, that might put you off but otherwise, it's a fab area.
  16. king mint

Thanks Harpo!