1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New York photos from the 1970s

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by editor, Dec 7, 2011.

1. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

Here's a neat selection of NY photos from the 70s:

Janh likes this.
  2. imposs1904

imposs1904 Thread Killa'

Fascinating but it's a shame that the photographs are loaded too fast. I hope the original uploader can fix that.

3. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Superb - compliments my fascination with NYC , and in particular the way that the city just went so wrong - but pulled back again. First trip was in 1984 when the subway in particular was still edgy and graffiti marked , the streets were not exactly safe andf clean.

Whilst the cleaned up city of today is great - and not wishing to go back to the anarchy then - it is quite remarkable. A good friend of mine who scaped the money to live on W79th St then related how carefull you had to be in walking home at night - certain streets were almost "no go" - compared to the middle class (but still a bit radical) area it is now. She had left the Bronx in the early 70's - her home born apartment on 174th St went from Jewish to burned out wreck in a few years - but is now refurbished and a good place to live.

The resiliance of the city ......

Favelado likes this.
  4. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Anti-homelessness stud.

I liked that.

It reminded me of a novel - quite an odd one - that I read once. It's called Time and Again, by Jack Finney. It was written in 1970, but is about a New York illustrator who is recruited by a secretive agency to travel in time to the winter of 1882. What's odd about the novel is the inclusion of photographs, drawings and diagrams. These play a big part in the narrative. So what you get is a very visual contrast between the New York of 1970 and the New York of 1882, as the old skyline is being replaced by ever higher buildings. A fascinating look at the life of a city, its buildings, and its transport systems. I'd recommend it to anyone who knows New York.

Digression. But it's what sprung to mind when I watched the clip.

5. Favelado

Favelado Que isso gente?

I recently read a book called "South Bronx Rising" which chronicles in detail what you mention in your post.

I am fascinated by the story of New York in the 70s and how somewhere so famous, so central to modern society nearly fell apart completely.

6. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Very much so - the city had a virtual death wish (for many reasons , including a huge laissez faire approach to city budgets etc) , virtually bankrupted "Ford to NYC , Drop Dead" being the answer printed in the Daily Post when a bale out was asked from the Federal administration, - yet not without pain has rebuilt its status , and many of its ravaged areas.

Some people miss the edginess , and it must have been both invigorating and challenging to get by - yet cities are all about people and resilience. I am glad I did a run out to the Bronx in the late 80's when you could still see some of the desolation - albeit from the safety of the elevated 6 train !