1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new steam train built in the uk:first built in nearly 50 years

Discussion in 'transport' started by marty21, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

Its admirable but its clearly done by a bunch of well educated engineering nutters!

Better that than some maniacal death to everyone scheme.
  2. bi0boy

bi0boy .

3. HackneyE9

HackneyE9 Well-Known Member

KBJ - get your arse down the 'Boris - Way to Go' thread. Your pin up boy is taking a pasting.
  4. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

The post you quote was put up in February you numbnuts.

Sweet train tho, love it when things are done just for the hell of it.
  5. Roadkill

Roadkill selling postcards of the hanging

6. HackneyE9

HackneyE9 Well-Known Member

Oh dear. I miss that deluded fool though. ;)
  7. ExtraRefined

ExtraRefined Better than you at everything you love

8. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

9. Roadkill

I was about to post that link! :D

Can't see why they've gone for apple green. For most of their lives the A1s were Brunswick green, like this:

[​IMG]

When I was younger I knew a bloke who ran a general store and Hornby model shop. Or, rather, his wife took care of the groceries whilst he did the interesting bit! On the wall of the shop was a picture of the engine pictured above - 60121 Silurian - on which he had been fireman in the early 1960s. He told me enough stories to get me interested and he always said it was sad that all of the class had 'gone to make saucepans' - which is one reason I'm so pleased to see 60163 ready to run. :cool:

<e2a> The wikipedia article on 60163 seems to suggest they've got the approval they were after to run at 90mph too! :D :D
  10. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

I was also going to post that link.
    I have no idea what the colour should be, but the beauty is the guys hand painting it.
    It's wonderful and I just have to see it and hear it and travel behind it.
    True engineering Art
  11. Roadkill

It's making its first public charter run on 7th February, from Darlington to London King's Cross. I might well go along and watch it arrive. :cool:
  12. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

The day after my birthday, thus my present to myself!
    I haven't seen St Pancras yet either.
    A glass of champers also I think!

PM me nearer the time and I'll buy you one :cool:
  13. Roadkill

That sounds good to me! It'd be good to see you. :) St Pancras is well worth a look too - it's magnificent. :cool:

There's no info yet on the Main Line Steam site on timings, but if it's got to come all the way from Darlington it won't arrive too early in the day.

Incidentally, did anyone see the programme about Tornado that was on BBC4 over Christmas? It rejoiced in the awful title 'Absolutely Chuffed,' but it was rather good. It's off iPlayer now, unfortunately, but doubtless it'll be somewhere on the web...
  14. winterinmoscow

winterinmoscow Returning Poster

As a layperson with little railway knowledge at all. I think it's great that they did it. And I'd like to see it in action
  15. hipipol

hipipol going down the long slide

I'm sure that in East Germany they did some work with pulverised coal so thay had some sort of fuel injction system along the length of the firebox...... I read that in some railway mag in the dim and distant past.... I must have a dig
  16. teuchter

teuchter *worse than Sean Connery in every regard*

17. Roadkill

Mechanical stoking was common practice in a lot of countries for a long time. The reason it was never seriously introduced here was that British trains were relatively small and rarely above the capacity of one man to fire by hand. Meanwhile, mechanical stoking was less efficient than skilful hand firing and generated more and dirtier smoke, which didn't go down well in crowded British cities. Therefore, British locos were almost invariably hand-fired. In the US, though, there was a rule that any engine with a grate bigger than a certain size had to have a mechanical stoker, and they were used in many parts of Europe and Asia as well. <e2a> IIRC it was usually small-coal rather than pulverised coal, though.

Re. the 5AT project that teuchter links to, I think it's interesting and I'd like to think that the publicity around Tornado will give it a boost. David Wardale is an interesting bloke, who did a lot of work modifying and improving steam engines in South Africa and China after steam finished in Europe. If anyone can make it work, he can, although uit's as well to point out that no-one is suggesting the 5AT is any more than a one-off: it's just a higher-performance loco designed to operate charter trains more easily under modern conditions than original locos. I've yet to find a copy of his book about the Red Devil at an affordable price, though...
  18. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Coz it looks fabulous!

All the best engines looked like that....

[​IMG]
  19. Roadkill

[​IMG]

:p

It'd look fabulous in virtually any colour tbf, but I much prefer Brunswick green...
  20. marty21

marty21 my gran was in the war with bombs and shit

might check that out myself - glass of champers would go down very well on such an occasion:)

the st pancras pub ain't too bad either, real ale at about £3 a pint, which although a little expensive, not as expensive as i thought it might be, you can sit outside and watch trains arrive as well
  21. Roadkill

u75 trainspotters' outing, anyone? :D
  22. _pH_

_pH_ .

you'll like this then ;)

or how about this?

or this?

i wish that site would let me hotlink :(
  23. marty21

:D just had a thought, will the train be coming in overground as it were? where the eurostar trains terminate?
  24. Roadkill

Neither: it'll be coming into King's Cross.
  25. _pH_

_pH_ .

yay! :cool:
  26. marty21

:oops:

you did say that

still we can meet in the st pancras bar anyways:D
  27. Roadkill

It could be worse. :D
  28. Roadkill

I don't see why not. :cool:

At some point they'll put the train's schedule up here - I'll post it up when they do.
  29. _pH_

_pH_ .

mmm....nice!

how bout this? what would mr editor say?? :eek:
  30. _pH_

_pH_ .

i'd be up for that :cool:

trains......check
    urbanites.....check
    beeeeeeer!....check

it'll be like the severn valley all over again! :D