1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New routemaster

Discussion in 'transport' started by ska invita, May 17, 2010.

1. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

The tour bus heritage route things?
    A - you can't just jump off and on. There is someone there to stop you.
    B - you pay for the tour, why jump off?
    C - the regs don't actually kick in until something like 2015, or was it 13? I can't remember, anyway Ken was trying to get something sorted with some run in time before it was too late.
  2. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

I don't understand the nostalgia for the old Routemaster. London for a long time has been behind most other towns where the open platform type buses were phased out in the early '60s. I remember the fuss about the introduction of the then new 'Atlantean' type buses in Torbay where I lived. These rear engined flat fronted buses which became the standard style for buses for most of the country were much longer than the old buses but could carry 73 people. London was just 40 or so years out of date in persisting with open platform buses. Open platform was not something exclusive to London and Routemasters weren't special and different - all buses were like that in the '50s whichever company built them.

As for the design and style of the new Routemaster Revisited bus, I am waiting for the announcement of which particular dress designer was responsible for the styling of the bodywork.
  3. paolo

paolo Member You're a Womble

The heritage routes are normal routes, run by TFL, using open platform Routemasters, running normal fares.

The tour buses are privately run, not using routemasters, and not therefore having any open platform, and charge premium 'tour' fares.

There is a DDA accessibility regulation applicable from 2017, however this does not effectively ban even the routemasters provided that there is an equivalent accessible option (which on the heritage routes there are). The replacement routemaster is compliant, regardless of whether the open platform is open or closed.

I've never heard of a regulation banning open platforms - but happy to be corrected with a link.
  4. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

^^^^^^^^^^^^This.

They could, if they wished, run all buses as Routemasters, on the basis that they are heritage routes.

But that would be shite for disabled people and impractical as the parts are running down.

The new bus will have its platform open most of the time, if it doesn't the whole exercise will be utterly pointless.
  5. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat roast fishco and cornbread

I'm not convinced.

The point of the 'heritage' service on the 9 and 15 routes is that they are supplementary to the basic public service on those routes, hence the heritage routes being bits of 'real' routes, not a separate route of their own. Therefore, they are DDA exempt.

I do not believe that bus operators would be allowed to use the "it's a heritage route" argument as a get out for general non-compliance (e.g. running early 1990s buses) with DDA after 2017. I think there is a clause allowing occasional use of heritage buses on something that's not a regular service, but I'd need to go and look up what this means in practice.
  6. paolo

paolo Member You're a Womble

Bahnhof Strasse and Sweetpea like this.
  7. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Uncle Roger drunk

"It could happen to any of us. To you or me."
    Needs repeating.
  8. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

Powerful film, makes me feel shame. How the fuck them politicos can sleep at night whilst allowing a situation such as that to exist is way beyond my comprehension.
  9. mao

mao I'm totally wired

10. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat roast fishco and cornbread

11. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I predict regular moonings taking place on the staircase on night buses...

[​IMG]
    ExtraRefined likes this.
  12. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

only if tempered by actual occupancy per mile. The assumption that buses are always full is so obviously wrong. The difference between the new bus at 10mph and a RM at 13mph is significant on the huge mileage with trivial numbers of passengers.
  13. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Well, what is the average occupancy of London buses then?
  14. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

In terms of pollution, newer vehicles are generally better than old ones, they have particulate filters and just inherently "cleaner" engines than 40 year old ones, surely? And these new buses are "hybrids" so for quite a lot of the time, they are using their electric motors, so not using any diesel at all when in busy traffic.

Giles..
  15. equationgirl

equationgirl red Clydeside

It really looks like Boris has just realised the exact same thing...
  16. Corax

Corax This will change your life: http://bit.ly/19lPFRa

The occupancy is further flawed when you take into account that although these will start in London, they'll inevitably end up running out here in the provinces as well, where they'll often only have five people on board.
  17. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I put your question into google and found estimates ranging from 9 to 25 on the first page, though I should say that many of the sources seem to have an agenda that cars are more CO2 efficient than buses.

I would hope they're cleaner, and I'd also hope they're more fuel efficient. If the figures given are correct (the new bus at 10mpg- which is apparently 15% better than existing hybrids- and 13mpg for a RM) then they're a good deal less efficient.That's rather counter-intuitive isn't it?
  18. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 Least LA person in LA

I wonder how long it'll be before they start getting plastered with advertising. They won't look quite as cool then. The glass on the back of these buses already look like the middle of a Nike swoosh
  19. teuchter

teuchter *worse than Sean Connery in every regard*

20. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

Cool, an initial introduction of 8 buses making up the 68 buses on route 38.
  21. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Great review and glad to see they've apparently done a good job on it.

Quite sad to see the comments at the bottom full of people desperate to see it fail :(

I think £8m for 8 buses including R&D costs is quite remarkable too. I think the bendies were £250k each.

I can't wait to have a go on one.
  22. Teaboy

Teaboy Tryhard wannabe

Its a nice looking bus, but sadly the whole scheme is just a massive waste of money, just another Boris vanity scheme such as the bikes, the cable cars and the estuary airport. What we really need to public transport fares to stop being increased all the fucking time.
  23. Crispy

This design was needed 12 years ago, when London's bus fleet was massively expanded and replaced. Now all routes are operated with new buses, what's the point in a new design?

I've come to like that design btw, but I just don't think it's needed now.
    Onket likes this.
  24. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus would be a rubbish god

The bikes are a vanity scheme? Do they cost money or do they pay for themselves? I always assumed the latter.

They were Ken's idea btw, not Boris's.
  25. Crispy

26. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

I still don't get how he can have open platform buses with air conditioning, from an eco pov. Surely it's going to cost a fortune in extra fuel?
  27. littlebabyjesus

28. salem

salem Well-Known Member

:confused:

The bikes are a success and the cable car makes good sense.

I agree with you on the Estuary airport though.
  29. Teaboy

Teaboy Tryhard wannabe

The bikes have cost the taxpayer a billion quid. A billion quid at a time when transport fares have gone through the roof because we're broke apparently. Don't get me wrong the bikes are good and anyone could be forgiven for thinking that Barclays have forked the bill, but no a billion quid. The bikes are not that good.

How much is the cable car going to cost incidentally? Anyway by the time its built bus fares will be beyond £2 and people will be even more fucked than we are now.
  30. littlebabyjesus

No they have not. Read Crispy's link. They cost £79 million to set up, cost £15 million a year to run, and are now just about breaking even. But they're not repaying the initial investment as quickly as had been hoped.