1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New routemaster

Discussion in 'transport' started by ska invita, May 17, 2010.

1. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 Least LA person in LA

2. skyscraper101

The prototype has been spotted out testing on the streets of Northern Ireland :cool:

3. Lord Camomile

Lord Camomile Unknown Member

4. Lord Camomile

Do you think the cameraperson had to go that way anyway, or once they saw the bus thought "Little Timmy can wait at school, this must be documented for teh internetz!!1!".

5. skyscraper101

Is it fake? How can you tell?

6. twentythreedom

twentythreedom a Somali pirate riding a dinosaur, obviously

It's my bus

7. Lord Camomile

I was being silly :oops:

8. teuchter

teuchter *worse than Sean Connery in every regard*

Clearly driving with cameraphone in one hand - this video should be reported to the police.

9. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I wonder what the export potential is for this?

10. bigbry

bigbry Well-Known Member R.I.P.

11. salem

salem Well-Known Member

I was pretty shocked to read this

As comparison according to this article the old routemaster was apparently returning 13mpg. Perhaps more shockingly the bendy buses only return 4.5mpg! :eek: (from the guardian)

12. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

mpg/person is the crucial figure

13. Lord Camomile

I'm currently sitting on one in Trafalgar Square :cool: :D

The ceiling seems lower than on a conventional bus, more like the old routemasters actually. The bells are weird too. And as someone pointed out, the windows don't open. Will be interesting to see how that affects temp.

I am now going to try the back staircase :D

(I actually got off the 23 to get on this stationary bus :oops:)

14. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Can you try jumping off while it's moving away from traffic lights or something, or don't they let you do that any more?

15. chazegee

chazegee Number two.

16. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

Goes into service on the 20th February on Route 38

17. Roadkill

Roadkill a clown's heart

Pointless Bojo vanity project - a complete and utter waste of money.

18. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Are people going to be allowed to hop on and off like on the old Routemasters?

I hope so..... that was the thing that many people missed about them. Not having to sit there for ages when the bus is stuck in stationary or slow-moving traffic needlessly waiting for the bus to crawl to the next stop before you can get off......

Giles..

19. Crispy

When there is a conductor on board, the rear door can be opened at their discretion. By default it is closed and it cannot be opened while the bus is in motion.
    When there is only a driver, the rear door opens with the front and middle doors at stops only.

20. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Is there some law that actually bans the way the old Routemaster open platform worked?

And if there is, how come they still use the old buses with the open access platform now and again? (I saw lots of old RMs this summer doing "rail replacement" duty every weekend round my way when the Jubilee line was closed for maintenance).

I can't see that hopping on or off a bus is more dangerous than crossing a busy road, or standing at the edge of a train platform, and probably less dangerous than cycling around various busy roads and junctions in central London.

Or is it not so much a specific law, more a worry over being sued?

Giles..

21. bi0boy

bi0boy .

When's that going to be then? On launch day for the photo opportunity?

22. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

How have you managed to get on one then?

23. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

oh, and I saw a green routemaster the other day! :cool:

24. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

Don't eat it, it's not ripe.

Minnie_the_Minx likes this.
  25. Crispy

I don't know the ins and outs of why either situation exists, but that's the facts of the matter AFAIK.

And I suspect that conductors will not be common at all.

Two staircases is still a massive benefit, though. When a bus is busy, waiting for the top deck to empty can double or triple dwell times. Having an entrance and exit stair will help a lot.

26. paolo

paolo Member You're a Womble

Not just used now and then - used every day on the heritage routes.

Tfl never made a claim about law. That's just one those things people mentally fill in afterwards - they banned Christmas, so they probably banned that bus doorway too.

27. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

:D

Do you think for one moment one stair will go up, the other down?

28. Crispy

I like to think the tradition will make itself yes :D

29. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

Escalators would help.

Crispy and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  30. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

They won't allow the platform to remain open. The two reasons Ken got shot of them was that new regs (I think in 2015) would make them impossible to use and new parts were not being made anymore (plus the two person system).

I miss them and always thought the bendys were shit and there must have been some under the table handshake, but having made three TV documentaries about the routemaster and checking every detail as best I could there was nothing sinister.

Maybe the bendy buses were not the greatest idea in the world, (millions was spent on just moving street furniture to accommodate them) but the massive massive amount of money wasted on just getting rid of the bendys and making a bus to look a bit like a routemaster, that in practice will never achieve the same ease of use due to the H&S and disabled access issues is insane.