1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New routemaster

Discussion in 'transport' started by ska invita, May 17, 2010.

1. teuchter

teuchter *worse than Sean Connery in every regard*

If they let people get in at any door and have a "voluntary" oyster swipe system like the bendy buses.

Also I wouldn't be surprised, if they have an enter at the front system when there's no conductor, if they have the rear doors permanently closed because it's probably too much to expect the driver to keep an eye on two sets of doors for people sneaking on.

2. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

In which case that would be flawed operation rather than flawed design.

It could be argued that I'm splitting hairs, but I do think that Bendy buses - designed for use on modern Bouvardes - are not the optimum design for a city with roads that stem from a medieval layout.

(And as for dwell times, if they're measured solely on passengers/minute, that fails to account for the reduced numbers of passengers per official stop on an open platform bus).

3. teuchter

Well...either you design a bus to work well in the intended mode of operation, or you operate a bus according to what was intended in the design.

It just feels that in this case there is a messiness and inefficiency created by the need to cater for two different methods of operation.

4. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm being overly hopeful that it would simply run (self swipe) like a Bendy bus all the time, i.e. one mode of operation, with a door that can stay open during peak.

But even if it is two modes, what are the gains and losses, and is it a net win? I'd argue that it's the peak that is the focus, that puts the most demands on a design, road congestion etc.

The bendy has some advantages in peak (dwell time possibly), some things it's even (passengers vs. congestion), some things it's terrible (comfort).

There's the possibility that this new design, compromised though it may be, will getter a better balance for peak operation.

5. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 inbox me hun x

I like the bendys and the nu-routemasters - why can't we just keep both??

6. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

That argument has always been bollocks. London is hardly the only European city with a mess of narrow, twisted roads and articulated buses seem to work quite well in other cities with the same issue.

I'd agree that both sorts of bus would be nice.

7. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

What type of roads were they designed for?

8. teuchter

Thing is, the only advantage I can see the routemaster having over the bendy buses is the open platform - which is good - but if it's only going to be available some of the time, is it really worth all the extra expense (and decrease in capacity)? I guess it depends what proportion of time it'll be available during, and there doesn't seem to be any clear indication on this yet.

Why do you find the bendy buses lacking in comfort by the way?

9. Lord Camomile

Lord Camomile Unknown Member

The fewer seats I would imagine. Sitting = more comfortable than standing.

I do like standing on the twisty-turny bit in the middle though :cool:

10. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

They'll have more seats per metre.

11. IMR

IMR well-meaning tosser

It's good how you can get on and off the bendy bus through any one of three different doors. Hardly anyone queues at bus stops now, so three doors is better than the usual competitive scramble to get in a single door.

12. teuchter

Well, as long as Boris is giving us two routemasters for every bendy bus...

13. teuchter

From my experience I wouldn't particularly expect to be more likely to have to stand in a bendy bus than a regular one. And standing ina regular bus is a pain because your jammed in the gangway getting in the way of everyone whereas on the bendy buses you can loiter in the twisty turny bit without people pushing past all the time.

14. Lord Camomile

Really? Do you commute during the rush hour? You're pretty unlikely to get a seat unless you board at the beginning of the route.

15. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

Plus if you stand next to the Oyster reader you don't need to swipe until you see an inspector getting on.

16. teuchter

Well, when I do travel in the rush hour, it's normal to have do stand on regular buses.

17. Lord Camomile

I regularly get a seat on double deckers during rush hour. Of course, I go upstairs, which around 75% of London's population appear not to be aware of.

e2a: in fairness, it's just occurred to me that my most frequent experience with non-double deckers is the 521, which recently became a non bendy single decker, so reduced space all round. Point still stands about the doubles though, unusual not to get a seat.

18. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus would be a rubbish god

And if you sit at the front, you can pretend to be the driver. :cool:

19. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Seats cost money, there's no escaping that.

But with double deck designs, they needn't cost road space.

20. teuchter

Did you work out standing spaces per m as well btw? :hmm:

21. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Why would that be a positive measure?

22. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

Why not have a double decker bendy bus?

23. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Seats upstairs, three doors. Maybe the could have the rear door open during peak.

Now that would be good. :)

24. TopCat

TopCat Sitting on your head & farting when you have a nap

A rational voice of sanity.

25. lopsidedbunny

lopsidedbunny Well-Known Member

I sat on one of these buses at the back and it was like sitting on a trailer with no springs. Never again!

26. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Budapest, actually. Which has quite a mix of old, narrow streets and wide boulevards. Never stopped the buses from going down the narrow, twisty ones there.

27. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

You would be surprised where you can take a bus.

Bet these new ones are automatics though :(

I heard a rumour that the old routemasters, being stick shift, were kaining through clutches as a lot of the newer drivers had trained in automatics. No Idea if true or not.

28. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Transverse as opposed to "in line". Austin Maxi as opposed to Ford Cortina.

29. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

The design of bicycles has never stopped them being ridden on pavements. That doesn't make them suitable for it.

30. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

LT have experimented with two staircases in the past

http://www.countrybus.org/Ailsa/V.htm