1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New routemaster

Discussion in 'transport' started by ska invita, May 17, 2010.

1. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

2. killer b

killer b Oh Yeah Baby

oh, i like that. it looks proper sci-fi.

3. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

4. Agreed, was reminded of this

[​IMG]

5. killer b

killer b Oh Yeah Baby

looks more 2000ad to me. just remove the wheels and it wouldn't look out of place in mega-city four. :cool:

Corax likes this.
  6. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

what's the cost vs. a standard double decker? Always struck me as a vanity project and an expensive one at that so as long as it's cheap enough and genuinely greener than the latest buses it would work.

7. salem

salem Well-Known Member

By all accounts it is genuinely greener.

They have only ordered a handful and they are very expensive. But that's because they are essentially prototypes and the development costs have to be covered. How must they cost if they make it into mass production has to be seen but I can't see how they'll be any more then bendy buses (which were themselves a lot more expensive then a regular double decker).

Saying that if these are going to be 2 man operation the cost of running them will be much more then either regular double decker or bendy buses.

For what it's worth I'm so far impressed with the project and how it's progressing. I think the bus looks fantastic and I'm happy they've not just rushed things or gone overboard with the retro look. 2 staircases is a clever idea (it works well in Copenhagen and other cities)

Those promo videos are terribly naff and cliched though :D

8. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

It's not a routemaster, it's a Gemini 2 model with an extra staircase and 'closable' platform stuck on the back. H&S will see that the platform is closed most of the time. It will cost far more than an equivalent double decker, whilst carrying no extra passengers. 'Green' versions of existing designs are available already. This is a terrible project that should never have been started.

9. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Yep, don't really understand a voluntary increase in overheads. Maybe there's more to it that I know.

10. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

I reckon it will all be Oyster and Pre Paid tickets just like on the bendy bus.

11. sheothebudworths

sheothebudworths Up the bum - no babies!!!

:D :( :D

12. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

What was revolutionary about the RM was using standardized parts, easily accessible and replaceable, across the whole fleet. It made maintenance a doddle and brought costs down quite a lot.

Costs will go nowhere but up with these things.

muscovyduck likes this.
  13. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Agree^

Disagree^

It just should have been done properly.

14. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Crispy pretty much sums up my feelings. It's not great for passengers, not that green and seemingly expensive.

Still least we get a new 'iconic' bus to all cram into....

15. DG55

DG55 Well-Known Member

Yeah you're right.

Why bother with unique design, design doesn't benefit anyone, right?

:facepalm:

16. editor

Were there any green designs with an open platform?

I can't bear being stuck in modern buses in London where you have to wait like a chump in huge traffic queues until the bus finally crawls the 100m to the stop.

Routemasters were wonderful designs and perfectly adapted to London's streets. People prefer having a conductor and so long as there's disabled access, I'd love to see the back.

And don't get me started on the bendy-cyclist-squashing-monstrosities that positively invited people to bunk the fare.

muscovyduck likes this.
  17. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Because public transport is about value for money, not design flair for the hell of it. The old routemaster was designed for cheap and easy manufacture and maintenance. This new bus is not. It is a normal bus with extra bits tacked on and will cost far more per unit than a regular bus would.

The open platform was handy, but I just don't see how they'll get it through modern safety regs. That rear platform will not be open unless at proper bus stops, I bet you.

Bendy's are ok on routes with wide straight roads, and they have big dwell-time and capacity benefits. They have a part to play.

muscovyduck and youngian like this.
  18. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

What's wrong with using standard double decker buses like everyone else? Why does London have to be different?

The whole project is a waste of time and money.

muscovyduck likes this.
  19. marty21

marty21 my gran was in the war with bombs and shit

seems pointless, you can't hop on and hop off like the old days, £300,000 a bus too ! :eek:

20. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Reflounced. None of you are worth bothering with.

Wrightbus employs 1,000 people, which makes it a pretty big employer in Northern Ireland (workforce approx 1m), and was threatening redundancies recently.

Don't know how or where a deal in which London taxpayers provide economic stimulus in NI would be brokered, but it's not implausible.

coley likes this.
  21. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Since they still use old Routemasters with open platforms, why do people keep saying that the new one won't be able to have an open platform?

I cannot believe they have designed the new bus to have an open platform so people can hop on and off if they are not going to use it!

If they do this, I will make a point of operating the emergency door release and hopping off anyway, by way of protest. If enough people do this, they will have to allow it.

Giles..

22. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

Said in the paper tonight that the platform will be open during peak times and during those times a conductor will be on board.

23. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

No. What caused TfL to retire the Routemaster from regular service was the Disability Discrimination Act (at least that was the ostensible reason - the DDA requirements did not need to be implemented by December 2005).

The RM was not accessible by wheelchairs.

That what I was expecting. It's rather different from that IMO.

This is what a Gemini 2 looks like (on a Volvo B9TL chassis)

[​IMG]

I didn't know that Thomas Heatherwick was involved. I'm rather encouraged by that.

Anyone else notice that Heatherwick's sketch in the video showed blinds for the 159? :D ;)

24. editor

But there's still some Routemaster buses operating in London with open platforms, just like before.

:confused:

25. jakejb79

jakejb79 Laughing Cow

Boris has said that there will not be a conductor on board it will have a ''uniformed presence'' so im guessing a PSCO

26. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

1) It's a big city. You can have a 13 or 15 mile long route that runs entirely through dense urban areas. Very few, if any, other bus operations in the UK face that.

2) Bus use in London is proportionally higher than anywhere else in the country.

Add both of the above together and you get very high loadings on busy routes. The key benefit of an open platform and conductor is that you can get people on and off a bus very quickly, even compared to one-person-operation with Oyster. This means the bus spends much less time at the bus stop, improves journey times and means you have to use fewer vehicles to run a comparable service.

The same arguments were used in favour of bendy buses because of their short dwell times at bus stops.

On high-traffic, high-revenue central London routes, the gains certainly were worth it, which was one reason why LT and TfL kept Routemasters in operation for so long. It wasn't just some kind of misguided sentiment.

27. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

muscovyduck likes this.
  28. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Reflounced. None of you are worth bothering with.

Oh god. You'll be trotting out the old line about having more miles of canal than Venice soon.

29. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

Birmingham used to build its own buses too.

The BMMO D9. Birmingham's Routemaster (though this photo was taken in Coventry :))

[​IMG]

30. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Why have a PCSO and not a conductor?

Giles..