1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Olympus OM-D EM-5 Camera - specs, photos, reviews

Discussion in 'cameras and camera gear' started by Hocus Eye., Jan 31, 2012.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

The low light performance is *incredible*. This is a straight-out-of-the-camera JPEG file shot at 6400ISO (Lumix 14mm f2.5 lens):

DEL.jpg

Tankus likes this.
  2. editor

100% crop. Full image is 4608 x 3456 pixels.
    del1.jpg

That seriously outperforms my Nikon D300.

dweller likes this.
  3. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

My Nikon is creaking and I find it too bulky...your pics have made the decision for me. Credit card purchase incoming!

4. editor

It's a grand camera. I'm going to give it a thorough test over the weekend, but so far I've been very impressed.

With the 14mm pancake lens it's not much bigger than my Lumix LX5.

5. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

6. slowjoe

slowjoe Well-Known Member

That looks great - I suppose it may apply a fair bit of luminance NR to the JPEG, where the Nikon mainly just does chroma by default, afaik. But even so. Cameras of this size really look to be becoming serious.

However, I'm waiting for the hinted-at 16mp compact-format FX body from Nikon - not that it'll be anywhere near as sleek or design concious as the Olympus.

7. editor

8. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

9. Hocus Eye.

10. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Agreed! It looks like someone went back to the '70s and bought some woodgrain Fablon, then covered the camera with it! :eek:

11. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

12. editor

That's a really interesting article. I like his writing style and I love this pic showing the difference in size:
    del.jpg

And what a rave review too:

13. editor

I just bought an OM adapter and there's something deeply satisfying about being able to use my old OM2n lenses again.

100mm f1.4? Don't mind if I do! :D

[​IMG]

(Taken with my ancient Vivitar 70-150mm OM lens)

14. Hocus Eye.

I see you call that "Stormy Shard". I like the contrast between the background and the front-lit flats. That lens is effectively 300mm at the long end, how far was it zoomed in that shot?

15. editor

About 200mm I reckon. I just grabbed a quick shot and could have done a better job (but was a bit excited by suddenly having some new lens to play with!).

16. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

I 'm finding I prefer using OM legacy lenses to the kit lens that came with my G2 camera.
    I'm not getting the in body stabilisation you get with OM-D but the shooting and the results are much more satisfying than
    from the panasonic kit lens.

17. editor

Feels lovely to be handling proper old-fashioned optics too, even if they do weigh a ton!

18. ViolentPanda

Yep, I've noticed the weight difference between modern and old optics when using my old Tamrons on my Pentax dslr. My 28mm/f2.5 is twice the weight of the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens, plus another 30g on top!

They do feel nicer, though, don't they? :D

19. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

Aye. From stats I've garnered from Lightroom, I'm using Canon FD manual focus lenses about 85% of the time with my G2. :)

20. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

I'm completely in love with my old Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 tbh. It's by far my best lens, lovely to use and forces me to really think about what I'm shooting.

Plus it feels chunky, solid and small all at the same time.

21. editor

I tried using my old Vivitar 75-150mm lens with a 2x adapter. It ended up about a mile long with the m43 adapter!

I'm loving using my 50mm 1.4 OM lens though. It's a beaut and it's nice I don't have to fiddle about with the camera settings to use manual lens.

22. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

The do look wicked. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

I now want a 24/28mm version

23. editor

Man oh man, this is one hell of a camera. Another handheld shot taken at ISO 6400 using my old Olympus 50mm (100mm) 1.4 lens. The stabilisation is excellent.

I love the way I've got my old lens back again!

del.jpg

24. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

25. ViolentPanda

26. Hocus Eye.

27. ViolentPanda

What, the post I quoted? ;)

28. Hocus Eye.

Dammit you got there before I deleted my post. :oops:

Did you find the YouTube link where you can see someone prising off the plastic covers and gluing on a new cover in a very amateurish way? Don't seek it out, it is very boring.

ViolentPanda likes this.
  29. editor

30. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

you're really just bumping this thread to make me jealous aren't you :'(

editor likes this.