1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Olympus OM-D EM-5 Camera - specs, photos, reviews

Discussion in 'cameras and camera gear' started by Hocus Eye., Jan 31, 2012.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Interesting comparison with the Fuji X Pro1 too:
    http://www.gabriellemotola.com/photoblog/olympus-om-d-em-5-and-fuji-x-pro1/

2. editor

Wow (from the same blog):
    I'm looking around the house to see what I can sell off to get the Olympus OM-D camera with the 12-50mm kit lens, and then maybe look at the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f2.0 lens or the cheaper Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Lens...

3. editor

First full review in - and it's a rave one!

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-olympus-om-d-e-m5-oh-my-darling-updated

4. editor

5. editor

This is clever:

6. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

I can foresee that feature being very useful in combination with a 10 stop filter

7. editor

My mind has been made up after lugging around my Nikon D300 yesterday: Black OM-D with 12-50mm lens ordered!

8. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Hmm...I need a new camera and 4/3 camera was going to replace me dSLR. This could do the job, although the price is a little steep.

9. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

Nice one, keep us posted with your experience and shots so we can fantasise.

I would've gone for the silver topped model though, what made your mind up?

10. editor

I was taking street pics in Brighton and realised that the silver finish was more likely to catch the eye of people, so opted for the stealthier black. It was a case of head over heart because I still *love* the silver one!

I've no idea when the camera is going to turn up though.

dweller likes this.
  11. editor

I'm now looking at lens at what lens to get. The Micro 4/3 system has a magnification of 2, so the bundled 12-50mm lens is a really useful 24mm-100mm.

I'm going to order a Panasonic H-H014E Lumix G 14mm/f2.5 pancake lens for starters as that looks perfect for street shooting (shame it's not a bit faster, but it seems good value for £150).

12. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is highly rated as a standard prime. Better than the 14mm f/2.5.

13. editor

Yeah - I've seen good reviews for that too.

I use a wideangle a lot, so have already bought the 14mm/f2.5 pancake lens for £130. The 20mm f/1.7 is a tempting buy too and I'm also looking at the Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 9-18mm f/4-5.6.

I reckon I might buy an adapter and use my old Olympus OM 50mm f1.4 as that'll be a good portrait lens.

14. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

Having installed the ib software that came with other olympus cameras for someone I'm gonna have to stay clear despite my love of olympus :? (and that's even before the lack of money)

15. editor

You don't have to install any software to use this camera. :confused:

One Italian reviewer decided to put the 'splashproof' claim to the test in a very enthusiastic manner!

[​IMG]

http://www.wirefresh.com/new-olympus-om-d-em-5-gets-doused-in-water-by-enthusiastic-reviewer/

16. editor

I've just got the Lumix 14mm f2.5. It is tiny! In fact, it's not much bigger than the rear lens cap for one of my Nikon lenses.

17. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

18. editor

Now this is rather neat: the Olympus Penpal (PP-1) adapter adds a Bluetooth radio to the OM-D and lets you wirelessly send pictures to any other device with a Bluetooth radio, like a smartphone or laptop. The widget can store and resize images too. Not sure if it;s worth the £50ish price though.

[​IMG]

19. starfish2000

starfish2000 Well-Known Member

I have fond memories of my OM2n and the Olympus OM2n had this strange function that meant you could take 5 minute exposures in Aperture Priority. I used to do loads of stuff with that.

Trouble is my whole system is Canon now, no point in changing.

20. editor

It's a different kind of system, being m43, but if it works as well as almost all the reviews suggest, it may end up replacing my Nikon outfit.

21. editor

Bah.
    Although I did get this apologetic email from Amazon last week:

22. editor

Another rave review:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403406,00.asp

23. editor

Woohoo! Delivery date has been pushed forward to the 3rd May!

24. editor

The camera has just picked up a Gold award at DPReview.

And look how good the image quality is:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5

25. editor

26. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

Should have got the silver :mad:

27. editor

Nah. Black for da stealth, innit. It's actually got a reassuring heft to it too, so it feels weighty like a proper camera should.

28. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

29. editor

It feels much the same as an OM2 i.e. very comfortable indeed.

30. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Nice. I have to say, I'm impressed that they didn't go for a massive grip on the camera. The slight bulge looks properly "old skool", in keeping with the rest of the camera. Love the LCD-less top plate, too.

Still can't get over the size difference, though!