1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New in Brixton- Somerleyton road

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Green Spud, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Green Spud

Green Spud Member

Hi Folks, Irish guy here, swimming over to England next week to escape the Economic famine and Bailout blight! :) I am just posting this topic here cause of one or two things I came across on this forum, plus i noticed some cool people post here and would b great to catch up with some of the Brixton posse at some stage.

So I found a room on Gumtree and all seems well with the new flatmates (and hello if one of you is reading this). However, I have read here that the location is quite sketchy. The address is just off Geneva drive, right down Somerleyton road. If possible I'd like to minimize my chances of running into some punks up to no good so if anyone cat give me some in-put into the specific area or advice I'd really appreciate it. Apparently there is a tunnel/ short cut that should be avoided at night time? Are there regular muggings etc.. or is the area better lit than before, posters here were complaining about.

I actually come from a town called Limerick in Ireland which has a pretty bad reputation (which is mostly unfounded),So i know what its like for people to make prejudgements but it seems here I will be living beside a flashpoint, so I'd like hear what you locals have to say.

Thanks for reading this anyway folks and anyone headed over to the Prince Albert anytime soon can give me a bell, I'd love to meet up... :-p
  2. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter cider i up

Welcome to Urban75.

You seem to know a lot about Brixton already...
  3. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

*eyebrow
  4. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Somerleyton Road is nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but it can be a bit sketchy late at night, particularly around the tunnel under the railway. There's not regular muggings, although a few people have been caught late at night.

You'll probably be fine so long as you don't stagger along obviously pissed out of your head at 3am clutching an iPad. :D
    kittyP likes this.
  5. Green Spud

Green Spud Member

From reading this forum I do. Wouldnt anybody moving to another country be interested. I've been reading mad for the last few weeks. Since I go confirmation that my deposit landed in my landlords account anyway. I've never actually even been to Brixton which is why im keen to know these things but I think from what know i'm making a good choice. This is a 9 week flatshare but if i like the area I will look to stay on afterwards, maybe.
    Onket likes this.
  6. Green Spud

Green Spud Member

Thanks Ed'. Well i probably will be pissed at the weekends so thats obstacle Number1!!! lol So best to walk the long way around and down from Coldharbour lane? I guess the fact that im over job hunting semi-broke and with no IPod, flashy phone may work in my favour yet!!
  7. editor

Most of the people I know who have been mugged around Brixton over the years have been well oiled when it happened.

Act sensibly and you should be fine. Or, conversely, act like a complete raging nutter and you'll probably be fine too.
    ericjarvis, Dooby and kittyP like this.
  8. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

The tunnel is the one which runs from Somerleyton Road to Mayall Road. I go through there a lot to visit friends and I've never had a problem. Having said that, I do avoid at night if by myself.

Welcome to Brixton, Green Spud.
  9. Green Spud

Green Spud Member

haha...cheers!

Do i detect some skepticism from above posters?

Are there some meet-ups organised from people on this site? I have quite a few friends in London at this stage, but none living in Brixton. I want to do it like the locals do! ;-)
  10. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

A friend of mine who is Irish and has lived in Brixton for a long while, got permanently scarred in an unprovoked attack in Limerick. I don't think he's ever suffered crime in Brixton, well, not that he's ever mentioned anyway. I live near Somerleyton and it's fine as long as you're reasonably sensible.
  11. Green Spud

Green Spud Member

Hi Mrs Magpie. I dont doubt it in the slightest!!! There are parts of Limerick where I woundt live, which is why i was asking about the Somerleyton road and not Brixton overall. I never even heard about the area until I came across this forum:
    https://www.google.ie/#hl=en&gs_nf=....,cf.osb&fp=c0a71f853a7e4a00&biw=1366&bih=643

And unfortunately a quick Google search will show more negative than positive recent results. (Whether for right or wrong!)
  12. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

You'll be fine,new swinging arty/gourmet place at end of road,only £40 a bite /sarcasm.You'll be fine and yes I'd not be an advocate of the underpass whilst pissed in the early hours.
  13. Mrs Magpie

I've been getting away with that sort of risky behaviour for years. Bloody long walk otherwise.
  14. Green Spud

Green Spud Member

cheers Ms-t. Did i tell you I was single and amazing looking too??? haha

Seriously, thanks for all the replies lads & ladies. Mucho Gusto and very much appreciated etc..
  15. Onket

Onket Gertcha

16. Green Spud

Green Spud Member

I believe thats the map Onket. I think I saw the very map on an earlier Urban75 discussion.
  17. peterkro

In days of yore it was the escape route when plod did their sweeps of the frontline.
  18. fluze

fluze New Member

I cycle everywhere and have never had any probs in the Brixton area
  19. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

20. peterkro

You've never had the youth throwing fucking rocks at you and screaming "buy a fucking car you wanker", rite of passage.
  21. Mrs Magpie

I must scare them off as I barrel through after a night of imbibing. Not saying no-one has ever been robbed there, but the reality is that it doesn't happen as often as people think.
    kittyP likes this.
  22. fluze

fluze New Member

No but I did have a guy stick his finger up in my face as I was cycling up brixton hill shouting middle class at me!
  23. editor

Were you on a brand new single speed bike?
  24. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

you'll be fine boy
    never had any problems
    that I can remember anyway
  25. kalibuzz

kalibuzz downtown

:D I had them laughing their heads off and shouting 'what the fuck are you riding!' (Dutch bike) and a friend was pellted with a raw egg on the side of her head and thought she'd been shot, almost 20 years ago..
  26. Green Spud

Green Spud Member

hahahahaaa
  27. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

aka Stab City :D

PS: There's loads of Irish in Brixton, so you may even bump into people you know
  28. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady willy nilly

Howrya. I'm from stab city and I've had no more trouble in Brixton than I had in Moyross: none. Its true that at some times and in some places you need to keep your wits about you by that's the same everywhere.
    You'll be fine and if you're not then just move to Clapham and come visit at the weekends
  29. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Won't Clapham be a bit posh for him? :hmm:
    ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  30. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady willy nilly

Maybe he's from Caherdavin :hmm: