1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to buy a large shed ... any recommendations?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by gaijingirl, Oct 14, 2012.

1. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

So we need to buy a large shed/workshop and get the bottom of the garden prepared for it. We have a shed already but I understand we will need to get a concrete based layed for whatever we get - so the end of garden will need to be cleared etc.

Has anyone got any recommendations of places who will do this for us?

There is actually a shed shop on our road but gaijinboy called in there once and was not impressed. I think I will call in again in case he got them on an unlucky day but wouldn't mind investigating other avenues.

The shed will be mostly for bicycles, bike parts, sports equipment and some gardening stuff and tat.
  2. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Up yer bum

We need a large shed too

*subscribes*

:cool:
  3. _pH_

_pH_ .

What are you after here, a shed or someone to do a base? I don't know any places round here that I'd recommend for a shed but fencing suppliers are often the best, then timber merchants, then builders merchants. Don't get some crappy larch lap piece of crap from Homebase though, tanalised T&G if you can afford it.

If you don't want to pay someone to lay a base, I can help you out with that, if you pay for materials, I can come over and do the grafting (we could get K doing some PROPER work for once, IMAGINE THAT!) and I wouldn't charge you for labour because I am lovely like that and good at this sort of stuff, ask aqua, she knows.
    spanglechick and gaijingirl like this.
  4. gaijingirl

ooh that sounds good _pH_... I'll talk to K about it. This is the shed shop on our street - I should go talk to them really. I'm after both shed and base.

http://www.premiersheds.co.uk/
  5. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Up yer bum

I don't know if security is an issue but I've been looking at containers, some second hand ones are the same price as wooden sheds.
  6. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Wood
    geminisnake likes this.
  7. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Up yer bum

I've just read the OP properly :facepalm: :oops:
  8. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

Shipping container? They are very adaptable and can be very well secured. They come about 8'3" high and 8' wide, you can get 10, 20 and 40' long.

I didn't read the thread first :oops:
    gaijingirl likes this.
  9. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

You'd probably need to crane it in too...
    gaijingirl likes this.
  10. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Me too :facepalm:
  11. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

@gaijingirl as you liked my post, I'll confide in you that I am looking into making a house out of shipping containers. If you have room for a 40 footer you could make some of it your shed and the rest a play room, office or summer room.

Get some ideas from here
  12. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Up yer bum

HAHA you're worse than me

Read the whole thread
  13. gaijingirl

I think my OP was unclear. We have a small old wooden shed on a concrete base. We want to get rid of this and get a new much larger wooden shed. So I think we'll need to get rid of the current shed and base and build a new base and shed. I was hoping someone else might have done this already and have recommendations of companies who will do this work well. (thanks again pH - might try and persuade gb to get his hands dirty).
  14. gaijingirl

hmmm.. I'm not sure we are after a shipping container - but it's an interesting idea... and that site is very interesting.

but I don't think we'd be able to get it in our back garden - wouldn't it cost a fortune to get a crane to lift a shipping container over a house into a garden? Not to mention a logistic nightmare?
  15. gaijingirl

1%er... it's kind of like grown up lego!! :D
  16. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

Would this fit?

[​IMG]
    stuff_it likes this.
  17. Smangus

Smangus comatose at a desk

I bought a shed recently online from "easyshed" they are based in the brum area but cost includes delivery and put up on site. I got one of there "beast " sheds which are the thickest wood (22mm) walls and floor options. They delivered and put it up. I had to do the concrete base myself though but thats not to difficult although it tales a bit of muscle. A hanyman would do it I would think. Its very sturdy and much better than the ones you get in most garden centres (12-16mm wood). dunno if that helps.
    gaijingirl likes this.
  18. gaijingirl

is this a joke? I'm not downsizing my swimming pool to fit that in!
  19. gaijingirl

yes,that's really helpful. Thanks.
  20. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

I thought you'd just put 3 more containers on top and have a big infinity pool up there;)
  21. gaijingirl

I could invite the neighbours round - they'd be delighted!
    1%er likes this.
  22. Elvis Parsley

Elvis Parsley http://www.etsy.com/shop/Woodnting

you don't have to have a concrete base, i built a large shed/workshop which stands on 1ft sq paving slabs, works fine. if you roughly level the ground out first, the more time you spend levelling/stamping down the easier the rest is, then use damp sharp sand under the slabs, a long spirit level and a string line. i still have the plans for it some where if you want?
    gaijingirl likes this.
  23. temper_tantrum

temper_tantrum The beauty of the ride

I built my own shed :) Two of them in fact.
    As said above, you can use paving slabs instead of poured concrete.
  24. gaijingirl

ok - that's useful to know too - thank you both.
  25. NorthernLight

NorthernLight New Member

How is your shed doing a few months into its life? And can you confirm whether it's a tanalised 'Garden', 'Secure', or 'Beast' type? I'm looking to invest in something similar locally but the £1500 price tag is making me think carefully. Size is 12' x 6'.
  26. komodo

komodo Well-Known Member

Think about security - a lot of bikes get nicked from sheds at the end of the garden - even if the shed is padlocked. You may want to put those big metal loops in that you can chain the bikes to.
  27. Smangus

its fine , tanalised "beast". kicks ass man.

Its my man hidey hole.
    lizzieloo likes this.
  28. Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud 893 all the way.

I bought a pent shed from a company called Tiger Sheds - happy with it but I did need to buy 2 extra coach screws from a DIY shop to complete it. Don't bother with their expensive wood treatment, get some creosote for a tenner and DIY. For the base you can go the slab route but make sure you have something down to stop weeds growing up through the slabs. If its big (over 10'x8') I would go for a concrete base. I toyed with the idea of doing this myself but without a mixer this would be pretty hard. I used a bricky I know who I can recommend but hired him out for the day as I had over stuff to do so it made sense. You'll need to budget for aggregates on top - calculator here.
  29. Smangus

Northernlight, new member 1st post about sheds :cool: this thread is the dogs.
  30. gaijingirl

so latest in the exciting shed installment. We basically never got round to doing anything more than getting a quote.

but the quote was for about £1500 for this shed:

http://www.premiersheds.co.uk/garden-buildings/garden-workshops/html/special-garden-workshops.htm

so I was looking on ebay and found this one for £675 - which is obviously shit loads cheaper. But why? WHY? Looking elsewhere £1500 seems nearer the mark - so is there some kind of special shed language that I am not understanding here?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16x8woode...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e77087c5e#shId