1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Near the Barbican

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by nagapie, Jul 31, 2012.

1. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

I'm going to the Barbican on Thursday and would like to go to a decent pub afterwards, preferably where we can get some food. Or a cheapish restaurant where we can drink wine. Any ideas?
  2. marty21

marty21 my gran was in the war with bombs and shit

City Boot, 7 Moorfields Highwalk, London, this is in the Barbican - serves a few ales, more of a wine place - does snacks and meals - not fantastically cheap , but you should be able to get something to eat for about a tenner - lots of city people go there - which is the major drawback but there is plenty of room so you should be able to get a table
  3. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

The Jugged Hare is quite a nice pub with a decent restaraunt but is busy with office workers though is usually a lot quieter after 9pm when many start heading home.

Also, the Two Brewers on Whitecross St is good little boozer.
  4. nagapie

Oh, City Boot is a Davy's. I used to work for Davy's. Not only do they pay their staff abysmally but I'm aware of what they put in their food. Not sure I can.
  5. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

The Iskele restaurant on Whitecross Street does nice East Mediterranean food and is good value.
  6. marty21

marty21 my gran was in the war with bombs and shit

oops, didn't know that - I've been to the Jugged hare as well - nice food but pricy - you might have to book a table there. Not a lot of pubs close to the Barbican tbf - you could walk down to Smithfields which is fairly close, quite a few pubs down there - The Bishop's Finger is alright and does food.
  7. craigxcraig

Just around the corner from Barbican Stn (between B'can and Farringdon Stn) is a really wonderful pub called the Fox and Anchor - down the back of the pub are really lovely cubby holes. Food ok priced and very good as well.
  8. Crispy

The F&A isn't that great IMO. The Old Red Cow is a better pub in that area, I reckon. Better beer, anyway.
  9. craigxcraig

I'll check out the Red Cow, thanks for the tip. I was taken to the F&A for lunch last week and really enjoyed it.
  10. nagapie

The Iskele looks good for food as you can have mezze without breaking the bank but think we will go to the Fox and Anchor or the Old Red Cow. Are either likely to be so full we can't get a seat at 9pm on a Thursday?
  11. Crispy

Hard to say. They're both rather small pubs, so can get crowded just by having an office full of drinkers in them. But they're equally likely to be a bit empty on a Thursday.