1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name me boat!

Discussion in 'transport' started by fractionMan, Jul 20, 2009.

1. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Oi, mine's not got a bow thruster or fake rivets. But yeah, it did have at least 20-30k shaved off the price :D

I just found a very similar boat by the same builder as mine, but 3 years older on sale for a whopping 78k, which really makes me wonder how much mine cost to have built :eek:

2. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Whats a grinder?

3. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

no idea

:confused:

*wonders if she's got one*

4. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

I'd have called it 'Long John' and painted it silver. :)

5. FreddyB

FreddyB Floating my boat

japanese based engine.

6. Spion

Spion I hear ya

What's wrong with Japanese engines?

7. FreddyB

FreddyB Floating my boat

Nothing and everything.

8. Spion

Spion I hear ya

Is this you bullshitting again?

9. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Was it Gerald Durrell that called his boat the Bootle Bumtrinket?

10. FreddyB

FreddyB Floating my boat

Not at all, jap engines are fine in the right boat, like the shire in the boat Fractionmans bought. Put a close coupled rice grinder in a trad with a stop bar on the roof and it's just silly, add some fake rivets to that (invariably in the wrong place) a fleet number in a painted panel and you just look like a wanker who picked options off a list with no idea what they are.

11. Spion

Spion I hear ya

What does close coupled mean?

12. subversplat

subversplat writer of wrongs

Two engines doing the work of one - two propellers rotating different directions makes the boat go more straight than one rotating either anti or clockwise.

13. Spion

Spion I hear ya

I see. To deal with prop walk

Still don't get the problem with a jap engine on a boat tho

14. FreddyB

FreddyB Floating my boat

Close coupled means the engine is at the very back at the boat. On a working boat the engine was forward of the back cabin in an engine room. The break bar on the cabin roof is put on so the boat resembles a working boat with an extension cabin.

15. gosub

gosub ~#

bow thruster is a god send when lone cruising on a windy winters day. You do get shit loads of people saying "that's cheating" but if there isn't a shire horse pulling theirs then they can fuck right off. Also thnk Yanmar engines are pretty good too.

16. Spion

Spion I hear ya

I'm still puzzled by your reference to 'rice grinders', as if all Jap boat engines are the same.

Were you just spouting bullshit or is there some actual practical reason in your opinion why a Japanese engine is often used in unsuitable applications by canal boat owners/builders?

17. Spion

Spion I hear ya

It's bollocks isn't it? You could say using an engine was cheating

E2A: ah, you did say that :D

18. FreddyB

FreddyB Floating my boat

No, there's no practical reason in fact for most modern shells drawing 18" or so they're better, you can't get a blade big enough under the counter to run a proper engine unless you twat about with a 1:1 box.

But then that's what I'm saying, these nobs in their boats with rivets, fleet numbers and the rest of it that's wrong look stupid enough and sound it as well.

I'm not saying that boats that don't look like and sound like a working boat are wrong, quite the opposite. Just that the ones that try to and fail by either having proportions all wrong etc built by the likes of Orion or Tim Tyler are almost always owned by stuck up nob heads who know nothing.

That said our current boat although it has a close coupled Lister it still has the pigeon box 11'6" from the cabin end, and a cabin chimney on the port side with no port hole:D

19. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

I do know where freddyB is coming from. If you want a really traditional boat then get one. Most modern reproductions are by all reports crap. With fake rivets and suposedly "josher" style bows that are nothing of the sort. People like to roleplay I guess. It's like someone having a model t ford build by rover with a rounded roof and putting a mitsuishi engine in it.

I have to say though, I'm only going on what I've been told here, by people with much the same attitude as freddy. :D

I like my boat and I'm glad it's got a shire, but if I was going to pretend I was on the canals 50 years ago I'd just get a 50 year old boat with a 50 year old engine and be done with it. Mine's got reasonable lines but it makes no pretense of being an antique. Until today I thought her reasonably unique, until I moored three boats down from someone with exactly the same shell. doh.

20. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

No-one suggested 'Bob' for the name yet?

21. gosub

gosub ~#

22. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

23. gosub

gosub ~#

Just procastinating, finishing last of the red lead today as part of total repaint. All work up til I finsh that has felt more like vandalism:(
    Still be good when its finished. (the key word being when). First time I've wished I had a smaller boat

24. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

All good ideas ^^

How long do you think it's going to take? I've seen people spend months painting their boat. Got any pics?

25. BoatieBird

BoatieBird You can call me cupcake

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's nothing wrong with giving a boat a blokes name :mad:

I'm really enjoying the blog by the way - keep it up!

26. gosub

gosub ~#

fitting it in around work, weddings. Trips to see girlfriend etc. Aiming to be finished before end of Oct otherwise I get stuck on the Wey by stoppages and probably a red boarded Thames. Not good, Wey has dirt towpaths (which turn to mud) and a no night navigation rule.
    Like London in winter - tarmac towpaths and I love moving round the city at night -feels really furtive

been really crap at taking pictures of the boat, mates have got loads and reckon the police have some good ones from the 3 hour helicopter chase a few years back that I'd love to get hold of.

27. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Really need to get a camera. It makes me want to post more and it makes the blog more readable.

28. stupid dogbot

stupid dogbot Haughty and Superior

Henrietta Houseboat. :)

29. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

How about "Muto Aquam"

30. stupid dogbot

stupid dogbot Haughty and Superior

Dunno what it means, but sounds kind of :cool: